www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old January 4th, 2012, 21:41   #106
deter7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillR View Post
My new suspension is doing great. No noise (even on speed bumps).
First thing I noticed was the MPG went way down! then I noticed riding in the rain, if the RF wheel hydroplaned, the car would shoot to the R, If LS hydroplaned the car would shoot to the left. Lets think about this. I raised the car 2", which should not change camper, but it will change toe. Must be toed in way to far. Throw my home made alignment equipment on the car and found 1/2" toe in . fixed that and mounted the new Kumho's. Man it's a different car now.

But the tie adjustments were frozen. When I turned the big nut it broke the rubber boot on the tie rod. No play in the joints but now that boot is broken I got to replace them (at $11.00 each I should have done it right the first time). well it will wait until March or April before State Inspection is due.

WillR

I just completed basically the same upgrades as you with about the same results. Only difference I also installed an evolution 1" lift. I had the car aligned and they found it toed in. Car handled better after the alignment but still not the way it use to. Took it back and had the alignment checked as mine had settled about 3/4" and it was now toed out slightly. They rectified this and now it still doesn't handle the way it used to. I am very happy with the extra height but not sure where to go from here with trying to get the handling back. Anyone with suggestions, they would be appriciated.
Thanks
Deter7
deter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:52   #107
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If you raise the car significantly you're going to have more positive camber when you're going straight. It'll feel less responsive on turn-in, and feel like it has less grip in mild to moderate cornering. As the car rolls and the suspension compresses you'll get more negative camber which improves grip and feel. Do you have the alignment report? What was the camber setting?

Unfortunately you can't increase camber beyond using any available play in the ball joint bolts. You could try camber plates to increase negative camber. But odds are the car doesn't have any less ultimate grip, it just doesn't feel as good.
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:35   #108
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lowest is 40 sofar

I know that doing a inner axle rear sway bar at the same time made my golf oversteerable. Used to feel dead and floaty. Now I can get the back to cut! First highway lane change I did !as extreme and over responsive in comparison to before. Such a difference. I had bought from vortex a Shine RSB. U can find them all over. I highly reccommend a rear sway bar7
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious
1.9 TDI Awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:36   #109
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

I had both of our TDIs standing next to each other and noticed that the Skoda was sitting higher even though the strut mounts are completely shot, so I looked up the ground clearence stated in the owners manuals and got a surprice!
The manual states the ground clearence with the car fully laden, ie driver + 4 passangers and luggage.
Golf = 102mm
Octavia = 137mm
35mm difference, which is IMO just what the Golf needs, 2" lift is too tall and 1" is just on the low side

This is quite interesting since the Octavia is based on a A4 Golf, struts, control arms etc should be identical. Maybe they just have different springs?
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 13:38   #110
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

^^id be curious to find out^^
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious
Old March 14th, 2012, 19:09   #111
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I installed the Moog springs and Koni FSD's with all new hardware in my 03 Jetta to replace the OEM items with 170k miles.

I also changed from 205/70/15's on steel wheels to 215/50/17's on aluminum wheels which are ~3/8" shorter in overall diameter and feel a couple pounds heavier (using my calibrated arm )

Measurements from the ground to the top of the fender arches - the car has ~700 miles on it since the suspension install.
Before:
26-3/4" Front
27-1/4" Rear

After:
27-1/2" Front - ~3/4" Lift
28-1/4" Rear - ~1" Lift

It rides and drives both much tighter/firmer while being smoother at the same time. I'm very happy with it.

It has a slight nose down stance to it and the wheels are more/less centered in the wheel arches (which is a look that I really like). I have not taken a picture of the car itself yet - need to do that one of these days.

It should not sag near as much with heavier loads and trailer pulling though I have not tested it out yet.

Unless these springs break or go flat quickly, they seem like a really good value for those of us who don't want to lower their cars, but want a bit more suspension "beef"

Here's the front spring (Moog 81134)

And it's wire diameter

Stock Front Spring Wire Diameter - 2P1G

The rear springs - Moog 81055

And it's wire diameter

Stock rear spring wire diameter- 1P3G
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:36   #112
miketoth1979

Fuel Economy: 32/46/60.5 (towing, avg., best)

Thanks for the pics and the spring diameters Fix Until Broke. I was hoping someone would measure those!

I have put about 20k on the blausport/MOOG setup now and have no complaints.
'01 Golf 5spd TDI 130K - Defender Steel Skidplate, Curt Towing Hitch, Independently-Powered Trailer Light Converter, DG 100k TB kit, Metra Aux ipod input added, MOOG VR6/wagon springs, Blausport shocks and struts, engine and trans stock
miketoth1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 21:14   #113
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Here's some pics of the car

03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:54   #114
jsillars
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 TDI sold

Great thread!! Question re: the MOOG springs. Looking on Rock Auto I don't see any difference in part numbers for engines or styles across the A4 platform. Am I looking in the wrong place? Trying to find a cheaper way to get the "level" reverse rake look of Shine springs as mine are rusting out .

jsillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:14   #115
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

They were all the same if I remember right - I had the same confusion when I ordered from their site.
Old March 18th, 2012, 20:37   #116
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

how is it that Fix until broke is sitting so level? by the way it looks great, i realy envy your stance. i need more clearance on the front end please.

Would an easy/simple solution be to add a 10mm spacer in the front? any other recommendations?
it is my DD as well as weekend autocross/ rally cross vehicle. i kind of like the lower front for autocross, however i dont like it nearly as much durring Rallycross.
Old March 18th, 2012, 21:04   #117
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

No spacers in mine - just FSD's, Moog Springs and new mounts.
Old March 19th, 2012, 04:59   #118
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Hmm, only difference I see in material used is im runnin Blauparts vr6 refresh, not fsd's. I will use your measurements against my car at lunch today(few thousad miles on since I measured originally). I will reflect back and quote my original hieght measurements too.

Fix untill broke, just wondering what your cabin load/trunk load /fuel load in the picture and durring measurement time. Approx, no science behind, just curious of your cars "extra" weight, hehe
Thanks
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:15   #119
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

The car weighs ~3400 lb with a full load of fuel, me (180 lb), and all the usual junk I carry around in the car. It has a steel skidplate, steel hitch on the back, 4" exhaust with 2) 4" mufflers, steel 3" TIP, 35lb clutch, DRW 6 speed, etc so all the little things add up. I didn't have anything "extra" in the car
Old March 19th, 2012, 13:31   #120
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

hahaha, more tear down in wieght than i knew to count in for weight. thank you, i was hoping you were bone dry empty. since your vehicle is sitting so level (close to), thank you for explaining your weight.

only wheight adders i have is usual cabin things, papers, ipod.etc, then the 300 lbs of stereo in my trunk. alpine R 15", enclosure, 4 extra 6x9s, two amps. me and fuel i gather as a giveaway.
searching for the tape measure still...