www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:39   #2941
NateTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2000 Jetta, low 50's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
dweisel was using religiously additive (PS?) and B5, and had two failure...lubricity is not the definitive answer (but it does help a lot)
Is it possible these additives contributed to the failures? Just asking.
NateTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:44   #2942
Absolute Diesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
dweisel was using religiously additive (PS?) and B5, and had two failure...lubricity is not the definitive answer (but it does help a lot)
Thank you. Qft - I also had a failure with b5
Absolute Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:04   #2943
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default eventual replacement

I appreciate the level of attention here. The real problem is VW will never "admit" there ever was a real problem. So if a newer design is really more robust, and MORE importantly, fails without catastrophic fuel system contamination (metal flakes), we won't get a fair heads up.

What I would like to do is buy a new design that WON'T fill the entire fuel system with metal flakes if it does fail. I mean, fuel pumps do fail, and I do not mind replacing one at some point.

But to be faced with replacing fuel lines or other parts that are buried under stuff that was installed later on in manufacturing to the tune of many thousands of dollars, this is really bad.

Fowl=bird, oops

Last edited by dubStrom; March 3rd, 2012 at 17:37.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:23   #2944
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If the fuel system "fowls" you really have problems!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:48   #2945
DEZLBOY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
The real problem is VW will never "admit" there ever was a real problem. So if a newer design is really more robust, and MORE importantly, fails without catastrophic fuel system fowling, we won't get a fair heads up.
Agreed. Until a class action suit is won, and VW has to send out notices to those with the problematic pumps with an extended warranty. Personally I think extended warranty should be the life of the car and transferable due to the expensive repairs.

Maybe owners of new (future?) VWs won't get the notices because the pumps have been fixed. Or maybe the class action suit won't cover newer years. Or maybe VW will come out with a better pump (but is would take year(s) for the pumps to illustrate per way less failures, that the problem was fixed.
Old March 4th, 2012, 13:08   #2946
madmako

Fuel Economy: +50 mpg hwy

NHTSA investigations can take awhile as evidenced by this somewhat dated article:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/02/...procedure.html

I'd guess it's going to be awhile before this thread finally takes a turn.
Old March 4th, 2012, 18:53   #2947
MPBsr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZLBOY View Post
Agreed. Until a class action suit is won, and VW has to send out notices to those with the problematic pumps with an extended warranty. Personally I think extended warranty should be the life of the car and transferable due to the expensive repairs.

Maybe owners of new (future?) VWs won't get the notices because the pumps have been fixed. Or maybe the class action suit won't cover newer years. Or maybe VW will come out with a better pump (but is would take year(s) for the pumps to illustrate per way less failures, that the problem was fixed.
The only thing a class action does is makes the lawyers rich and you get a $10 coupon to Dunkin Donuts.
MPBsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 19:34   #2948
madmako

Fuel Economy: +50 mpg hwy
Thumbs up Quote of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
The only thing a class action does is makes the lawyers rich and you get a $10 coupon to Dunkin Donuts.
So True!
Old March 4th, 2012, 22:19   #2949
Niner
veteran member

This is a good example why you don't want to run your fuel tank low on a CR diesel and risk cavitation, and lack of lubricity of your HPFP.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujoka...layer_embedded
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:32   #2950
Claudio
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta SW

i wonder why it is taking this long...
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:00   #2951
chudzikb
Veteran Member

Goverment works on its own timetable, and it usually is not the same as ours...
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:16   #2952
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
This is a good example why you don't want to run your fuel tank low on a CR diesel and risk cavitation, and lack of lubricity of your HPFP.....

Did I miss something? All I saw was a way to remove air from my fuel. It did raise a question about how the fuel is returned to the tank on the CR cars. Working with liquids, the best return would be a bottom feed and the sencond best having return line against the side of the tank with the flow of the liquid directed towards the side of the tank. I find it difficult to believe that any engine is set up with a free falling return like in this video. Not only would this lead to foam generation but raises the fuel content of the vapor in the tank headspace and creates a more volatile environment.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:47   #2953
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Quote:
Getting air in the fuel flow is NOT cavitation, it is aeration. Cavitation is vapor bubbles forming under low pressure, then collapsing in higher pressure areas. When the bubble collapses, a micro jet of high speed fluid forms and can damage metal. No such risk with entrained air. Those bubbles do not colllapse.

Not that entrained air is good, but it should not cause damage to metal.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:15   #2954
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:

Do our CRs pump that much volume of fuel? What's the capacity of this "demo" tank?
Very intriguing, but to be truly accurate, wouldn't you want to see a 14-18 gal tank, with the return/take-up fuel lines accurately placed, with fuel flow at the CR spec, and watch the aeration? (Have diesel manufacturers NEVER considered aerated fuel before?)
I had my checkbook in hand, until I thought it through. This is an exaggeration of what might be occuring, but by what magnitude, I don't know.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:11   #2955
eddif
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
If the thing was plumbed so the supply to the pumping chamber came directly from the clean side of the filter, and not from the cam chamber where the wear might occur, the failure would be isolated to the pump itself. Send the cam chamber return flow to dirty side of filter or its own filter. That is the fix. A 1% chance of a pump failure is a risk I will take. Keep the damage isolated.
There are sure more ways to do it than what I suggested.
But
Cam chamber fuel sent continually to the dirty side of the filter will tend to overheat the fuel headed back to the HPFP (IMHO). Sending the fuel to the dirty side would also possibly warm the HP piston fuel. The original used the return fuel to the dirty side for warming, and when heated the fuel went straight to the tank (I realize you said or other filter).

You also need to cure the possible clogging of the pea size pressure relief screen with an adapter. Also watch out to see that the passages leading from the bearings see no excessive flow restriction.

The 2012 Passats use of fuel rail fuel for filter heating seems to be working.

Just post your suggestions with a flow diagram.

eddif
eddif is offline   Reply With Quote