www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:27   #406
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrosjr View Post
I have an om642 powered Jeep CRD. I want in the club. Currently I'm pondering new 2011 335d vs the new passat tdi.
how is your fuel economy? i heard you could only get 22-23 on the highway with those trucks.
Old February 25th, 2012, 13:19   #407
wyrosjr

Fuel Economy: So far 45-50mpg

My wife averages 25.5. Road trips can get up to 28-29 if you stay below 60. However, I probably have the only Jeep diesel cherokee with a 3.07 final drive(2wd). Stock they come with a ridiculous 3.73 ratio that puts you around 2500rpm at 65. Most do average much less than that. My previous car was an 05' passat tdi.
wyrosjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 13:19   #408
wyrosjr

My wife averages 25.5. Road trips can get up to 28-29 if you stay below 60. However, I probably have the only Jeep diesel cherokee with a 3.07 final drive(2wd). Stock they come with a ridiculous 3.73 ratio that puts you around 2500rpm at 65. Most do average much less than that. My previous car was an 05' passat tdi.
Old February 25th, 2012, 13:26   #409
cevans
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

This is a Grand Cherokee CRD, right? Those are RARE! Post some pictures!
Old February 25th, 2012, 15:56   #410
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

I turned up the fuel on my SDL a bit. It moves nicely now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXc2xV0fO8

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:41   #411
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 37/32/25 335d

Quote:
I have an om642 powered Jeep CRD. It has been a fun toy, I replaced the rear axle with one that had a 3.07 ratio to now average around 25.5 mpg.(up 2.5 from the 3.73) Now it is boring me. Currently I'm pondering new 2011 335d vs the new passat tdi.
Interesting comparison.

There are only a few new 335d's left on dealer lots as 2011 is the last year of production for this model.

My wife didn't like the Passat's styling. I figured it to be less of a sports car, which is what I was really looking for, but needed a sedan.

The 335d is wicked, stupid fast. I was just online trying to find out why. Its pretty interesting.

The real number to look at, IMO, is the acceleration from 80-120 km/h in 4th gear. What this means is that in real driving, a 335d can outrun an M3 and likely most other "performance" cars out there. The data are hard to find, but from BMW's own figures, an M3 has an 80-120 km/hr in 4th gear accel of 5.1 sec while a 330d (less powerful version than the 335d) is 4.8! These figures of course change with type of transmission and gearing, but the point is that with the 335d "you can have your cake and eat it too" an unusual combination. I wouldn't usually drive this way anyway, so its more of a reserve for accelerating in certain situations, and its quite an experience when I try it!

The problem, as usual, is the EPA which insists on pegging mpg's for diesels lower than they really are, so the new BMW 4 cylinder twin turbo direct injection gasoline 3 series looks as good on paper as the 335d. This makes it hard to market a replacement. Its possible that they won't have one in the future or perhaps only a 4 cylinder 320d for us.

The Passat TDI seems like a very nice car, but it is built in a new plant and is in its first model year of production. It might be better to wait a few years for VW to work out any problems with this model.

TM

"We see things not as they are, but as we are."-- H. M. Tomlinson
"Once I make up my mind, I'm full of indecision."-- Oscar Levant

Last edited by Tin Man; February 26th, 2012 at 01:44.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:06   #412
wyrosjr

My main concerns for both are :1. What kind of reliability will it have? 2. What are the engine flaws?I've always wanted a bmw 3 with a manual transmission. On the other hand, I really enjoyed my Passat tdi but it I was extremely lucky to have sold it before all the information about the balance shaft/camshafts came about. So I definitely have some trust issues with volkswagen, knowingly doing some of the things that they do.

With knowledge of that I figured the mercedes engine would be perfect. It had more power and reputation of mercedes diesels with it. Unfortunately, I have found it is quirky as well. I have to run a road draft tube for the pcv just to keep the swirl flaps clean. The intake design is a joke. If you change the oil incorrectly, you can permanently damage the motor! I find all that to be ridiculous and I'm worried BMW will have the same things going on. Dpf's and cats are strangling the competitive edge of the diesel in performance and fuel economy. Probably I am looking at removing them on the om642 if I find the right tune to go with it.
Diesels are great, I love them for their engine characteristics and performance. Why should we have to reverse engineer them just to get natural advantages? Anyway, I'd love to hear someone give me the true rundown of these two cars or point me in the right direction.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:23   #413
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
My main concerns for both are :1. What kind of reliability will it have? 2. What are the engine flaws?I've always wanted a bmw 3 with a manual transmission. On the other hand, I really enjoyed my Passat tdi but it I was extremely lucky to have sold it before all the information about the balance shaft/camshafts came about. So I definitely have some trust issues with volkswagen, knowingly doing some of the things that they do.

With knowledge of that I figured the mercedes engine would be perfect. It had more power and reputation of mercedes diesels with it. Unfortunately, I have found it is quirky as well. I have to run a road draft tube for the pcv just to keep the swirl flaps clean. The intake design is a joke. If you change the oil incorrectly, you can permanently damage the motor! I find all that to be ridiculous and I'm worried BMW will have the same things going on. Dpf's and cats are strangling the competitive edge of the diesel in performance and fuel economy. Probably I am looking at removing them on the om642 if I find the right tune to go with it.
Diesels are great, I love them for their engine characteristics and performance. Why should we have to reverse engineer them just to get natural advantages? Anyway, I'd love to hear someone give me the true rundown of these two cars or point me in the right direction.
To some extent if you are buying new, the way to avoid the drawbacks of engine compromising emission controls is the urea injection route. It will add cost and future maintenance (perhaps) but the engine is a bit more free of some of the more severe compromises to performance and longevity that come from smog regulations since the urea injection helps clean up the exhaust after it leaves the engine, allowing for the diesel to be free to "power up" more in its tuning.

The 335d has been around for 3 years in the US and so far no known "issues" with the engine. The motor itself has been around in different iterations for longer than that and BMW is developing it further for its new M5 triple turbodiesel. They are still using it in the current X5, having only discontinued the 335d.

Interestingly enough, the 2011 now has a different engine oil recommendation - only BMW brand - which may offer a specific advantage over the usual recommended diesel fill.

If you look at any of the European BMW official sites, you'll find out they have a 316d, a 318d, a couple of 320d's, a 330d, and a 335d - this just for the 3 series! I believe they have a good reputation for their diesels.

My concern would be how good the dealer service tech is near you and if you have a private mechanic that knows his stuff around these cars. I do. He's German too.

TM

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:30   #414
Tin Man
Veteran Member

I am fond of the 2005-2006 inline 6 CDI E-class Mercedes that came over to the US and how robust it seems to be. It was running perfectly when I sold it to my mechanic at 203,000 miles. Issues with it seem to be with the injectors, some of which need replacement and can leak causing quite a mess. Other issues can be the glow plugs and EGR. Mine started to have a valve tapping noise after startup at around 200,000 miles. I used 0W40 Mobil-1 its whole life and changed the oil per recommended schedule. It "preferred" branded diesel (as opposed to fuel with unkown sources of additive or lack thereof).

TM

Old February 26th, 2012, 14:24   #415
wyrosjr

I am set on doing my own services(Filters, oil, glow plugs etc, diagnostics, etc.). Is this doable on the 335d?
Old February 26th, 2012, 15:52   #416
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am set on doing my own services(Filters, oil, glow plugs etc, diagnostics, etc.). Is this doable on the 335d?
Once you are past the free service, which is 4 years, 50,000 miles, it shouldn't be a stretch for you to do the basic service like oil/filter changes and such things as brakes and even glow plugs, especially with a proper OBDII meter with specific code capabilities for this model.

Don't think suspension would be much of a problem either, knowing friends who do their own work extensively. Depends on how good you are and how much trouble you're willing to go through.

But if you are talking about the engine internals, turbo, transmission, computer, and some of the electrical systems, it may be similar to other cars of modern build. Haven't looked at any repair manuals available, but some should be acceptable. There are some online already for the 335d but don't know how good they are: http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/...5d-repair.html

TM

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:17   #417
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

I guess it's time for me to step forward in light of the invitation from a fellow TDI'er......

I am(as of this past weekend) the proud owner of a 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI with 101K on it. Non panoramic roof(glad about that). Lots of features of luxury that I'm really not used to having. I just can't believe that there are cars out there that are made that function as well as this does. Smoothest running diesel I have seen ever. It is amazingly powerful and extremely tourqey. Interior fit and finish is second to none, and on the trip from North Carolina to Florida(with a bad thermostat keeping temps too low) it got just a hair under 37 MPG. I will be ordering a 92 C thermostat for it really soon. I now understand why these cars are hard to find at reasonable prices.
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:28   #418
moosejaw
Veteran Member

I bought my '05 Passat tdi in Dec '04, and I traded it last Friday for an '05 E320 CDI. I also have a '85 300SD with 307k on the clock that runs great. Lets see if the photos work. The cdi has 96k miles and I paid $18k for it. I have been searching for 3 months for one of these to pop up close enough to Saint Louis and this one appeared at a local dealer.

Of course I have already ordered a new thermostat because it is stuck open and running at 60C or lower. I love this car, it is a rocket ship on the highway.

I took off the dealer plate frame and put on my TDICLUB.com plate frame on the rear. Meanwhile the 300sd marks its territory really well.

2005 MB E320 CDI 121K
1990 Mustang LX 460 RWHP
1985 MB 300SD 307k
2005 Passat GLS TDI *Sold*

Last edited by moosejaw; March 5th, 2012 at 12:41.
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 14:20   #419
delvi__acevedo
Mod'aholic

Nice color!!!
The thermostat was the first item I changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
I bought my '05 Passat tdi in Dec '04, and I traded it last Friday for an '05 E320 CDI. I also have a '85 300SD with 307k on the clock that runs great. Lets see if the photos work. The cdi has 96k miles and I paid $18k for it. I have been searching for 3 months for one of these to pop up close enough to Saint Louis and this one appeared at a local dealer.

Of course I have already ordered a new thermostat because it is stuck open and running at 60C or lower. I love this car, it is a rocket ship on the highway.

I took off the dealer plate frame and put on my TDICLUB.com plate frame on the rear. Meanwhile the 300sd marks its territory really well.
Old March 5th, 2012, 17:17   #420
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post

The car I just purchased has the same color and Xenon headlights too. It's nice looking for sure, and I love the light output! Just did my Thermostat last friday evening. Took about 45 minutes. Used a vacuum device to remove all the coolant from the reservoir, and then went to town on the thermostat. I didn't remove the oil filter cap like most others do, and didn't have too much trouble getting the old T-stat out and the new one in. Didn't even loose a drop of coolant BTW. There are 4 fasteners that secure the T-stat. 3 in the T-stat framework that secures it to the head, and one that goes in through the bracket at the front of the engine directly into the T-stat housing. I was struggling to reach 80C, and now run 92C easily. I believe I picked up a mpg or two from the change FWIW.
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!

Last edited by josh8loop; March 5th, 2012 at 17:28.
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote