www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 9th, 2012, 20:46   #151
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Here's the difference between the exhaust ports on a vnt15 and 17/22. The camera exaggerates it a little, but there is still a significant difference.

VNT15

17/22
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:31   #152
Keebler145
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~45

outstanding fub, they are the same size then (almost) as the vr6 ones. Thank you for that.

as for the head and deck being resurfaced. No worries. Had my head resurfaced several times along with the block. I then installed pd150 pistons and still had clearance with a 3 hole head gasket. I think franko6 knocked a little off the top of my valves IIRC but it wasn't much if he did at all.

Either way I measured up piston protrusion and I had just a little wiggle room. Not sure what I would do if the three hole head gasket wouldn't have worked.

The unanimus (sp?) answer was shave the top of the pistons but I wasn't really game for weakening the piston especially after I've melted/crack/destroyed at least 3 different sets!

424,000 miles and counting, On the frame that is (as of sold date)
Gt2256v 3 in downpipe and vibrant resonator, 3in OMI and FMIC all by Whitbread, Titan 520's, Port & Polished Head courtesy Franko6, RC 6, 11mm IP, PD LiftPump. Rosten Rods, PD150 Pistons, Oil Cooler, Fuel Cooler, Diablo W/M Kit,DC III clutch, Built 5 speed with LSD
Keebler145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 20:57   #153
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

Custom gasket?
I saw something on this a few months ago but the overwhelming consensus was that is wasn't worth/necessary/reliable
Old January 10th, 2012, 21:09   #154
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

It's a standard gasket - I don't think it would be beneficial to go larger.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old January 10th, 2012, 22:10   #155
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

Oh, i was just thinking about Keebler's statement "i dont know what ill do when 3 holes isnt enough anymore."

Yes, i agree. Not the way to take car of it. Do the math, but im sure you'll be fine with a 3 hole.
Old January 11th, 2012, 17:38   #156
Keebler145
Veteran Member

I think at that point the only option is different pistons, customs rods, or start with a new block/head. I dunno though.

Gt2256v 3 in downpipe and vibrant resonator, 3in OMI and FMIC all by Whitbread, Titan 520's, Port & Polished Head courtesy Franko6, RC 6, 11mm IP, PD LiftPump. Rosten Rods, PD150 Pistons, Oil Cooler, Fuel Cooler, Diablo W/M Kit,DC III clutch, Built 5 speed with LSD
Old January 11th, 2012, 20:10   #157
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Here's some bling...Rostens and PD150 ARL's with Swain Tech Ceramic Coating

The ceramic coating is relatively fragile - The coating goes down to the top ring land and I scratched the side of the piston installing one of the rings that slipped and it scratched pretty easily. Hopefully it's not just gold rustoleum

Last edited by Fix_Until_Broke; January 14th, 2012 at 19:02. Reason: Added Pictures of Coating Damage From Ring Installation
Old January 11th, 2012, 23:29   #158
shakescreek
Veteran Member

Lookin good, as long as you are doing ceramic I would suggest doing the combustion surface and valve faces on the head, the inside of the exhaust ports, the exhaust manifold, and the turbo exhaust housing. I did all of the above(plus pistons of course) some years ago on a mitsubishi turbodiesel I had in my boat, and it made a significant difference in both power and economy. Also prior to the coating I could overheat the engine if I ran it to hard as my heat exchanger was on the smallish side for that engine. After the coating I could not get the coolant temperature high no matter how hard I ran it. I actually had to run it harder than normal just to get the gauge up normal operating temperature. The stuff definitely works for keeping the heat where you want it.
shakescreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:08   #159
Keebler145
Veteran Member

yeah but that's probably beyond what fub wants to go.

Fub where did you get those pistons? They sure do look nice, good choice!

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:37   #160
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

I thought about ceramic coating more things, but the pistons seemed to be the biggest "bang for the buck". Seeing the cracked exhaust port that keaton showed in post 138, maybe I should have done the ports and combustion surfaces of the cylinder head, but we'll see how it goes. I'm not concerned about the exhaust manifold/turbo, though it would be nice to do to reduce underhood temps.

Pistons came from Bora Parts (PD150 ARL's) and then were sent to Swain Tech for their "Gold Coat Ceramic Armor" coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swain Tech
As the use of Nitrous, Turbo Chargers and Super Chargers have become common place; Swain Tech developed GoldCoat™ Ceramic Armor™ to protect piston tops in these demanding motors. GoldCoat™ offers the same benefits of TBC™, but adds an extra layer of extra high temperature ceramic to provide even more protection at higher temperatures. GoldCoat™ deals with the heat spikes and thermal shock of boosted motors better than any other piston coating.
Old January 13th, 2012, 17:25   #161
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

you expressed brief concern over the ceramic coating being "fragile"

Im sure you know this but the idea isn't for it to resist wear, the idea is to resist heat transfer. Im sure the company isnt using rustoleum (at least not a consumer grade)

Just cheering you on here. Im sure you've already been through this thought process.
=D

Thumbs Up!
Old January 13th, 2012, 17:32   #162
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

I ceramic coated the exterior of my exhaust manifold/turbine housing with a consumer grade "flame proof" VHT ceramic coating, and heat treated it as directed. Here i am 2000 miles later, a number of heat cycles, and pushing EGT around 1300. Its holding up just fine. If you want to do it just to help reduce underhood temp, this is an option. It wont affect anything if it does go south on you.

however i dont actually know how effective it is.

=D
Old January 13th, 2012, 21:27   #163
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

I have hard and brittle in mind when I think of ceramics, but when the coating is only a few tenths (0.0001") thick, it's probably a bit fragile. I'm not knocking their product at all, just thinking "out loud"

At the moment I just want to get it back together and running (I like my truck, but miss my car) - I can ceramic coat the turbo most any time in the future if I want to.

I'll hopefully get the intake and exhaust manifolds ported this weekend. Next weekend, if all goes well get the head and block machined along with all the head work done (seats, valves, re-assembly, etc), get the engine re-assembled and ready to install in the car. It will be a long weekend with a lot of things needing to go my way to get that far.
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:46   #164
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler145 View Post
fub, what was the outside diameter of the valve guide? I'm actually in process of making one for a 12v vr6 but I wouldn't mind making it universal for the TDI head as I still seem to work on those quite a bit.

I actually have a tool for reinstalling the valve guides for the ALH, I had my uncle EDM a ring out of a steel rod so the guides edge was supported while I pressed on the "collar" of the guide. It worked pretty well and was good for keeping the guide straight/square.

I do like your 3/8drive socket technique too though

edit: I don't know why I never bothered to measure the OD of the alh valve guide when installing them heh, and after doing a little leg work didn't seem to find it.
I found this picture and thought of you

Old January 14th, 2012, 09:42   #165
darkhorse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

I may have a case of piston & rod envy.
'06 Golf GLS 5 speed, Evo skid plate, Koni FSD's with Shine RSS, SBC stage 3, SMF, KERMA custom tune, R 32 snorkel,PD 150 airbox,MAF,TIP & manifold, K3B,R 783's, Colt stage 2, EJ SMIC, piping by ID Parts, Whitbread 2.5" DP, Aero muffler, 3"KERMA SS pipes, Sigma 5 short shifter, .681 5th gear & Peloquin, Nicktane 1 um fuel filter & DG/Amsoil bypass filter.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote