www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 11th, 2012, 15:51   #1
airstreamer

Default 2011 VW Golf TDI - problems starting/not starting

i got the car in october and for the last month it either has troubles starting (like it takes 5-7s to start) or doesn't start and needs a jump if i leave it sitting for more than 24hrs.

i've brought it to a dealership and they've said the battery is holding a charge fine and they can't find any issues with it. they want to give it back to me, but they haven't done anything to it.

obviously there's an issue... it's a new car and i basically need to have a "boost" available if i leave the car sitting for more than a day.

thoughts? suggestions? i'm not sure what to do, since the VW dealership says they've run all the diagnostics they can and come up empty-handed in terms of being able to find a problem. but a new car should be able to start if it's left for a day.

i live in a temperate climate too, so even though it's winter, it's never below freezing.
Old January 11th, 2012, 15:58   #2
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

If you bought it from them new it has a warranty. Force them to honour it. Call VW head office if they don't. VW of Canada.
http://www.vw.ca/en/tools/navigation...ontact_us.html

Last edited by Cogen Man; January 11th, 2012 at 16:04.
Cogen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 16:04   #3
airstreamer

@cogenman - they're looking at it for free (since it is under warranty), but since they can't find any issues, they're saying there's nothing to fix. i'd say they should replace the battery but if it's not the battery... not sure.

ha - isn't this always the way things work? something breaks on your, but when a professional looks at it, it's working fine?
Old January 11th, 2012, 16:09   #4
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Are you aware of the Intercooling icing problem these rigs are having. Not saying this is the problem but this would/could cause a no start on a cold engine. Even with the temps. you folks see in BC it can happen.
Is there another VW dealership close by that you can take it to ?

A little reading for ya.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ercooler+icing

This TSB is for the States. I don't believe Canada has such a TSB. But they are sure aware of the problem. At least my VW dealership in Kingston, Ontario is.

Here's another good thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

Last edited by Cogen Man; January 11th, 2012 at 16:27.
Cogen Man is online now   Reply With Quote