Where to stop?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I guess it's too late now, but I thought I would see someone suggest to bore and stroke to 2.1 liters to get more power from 1000-2000? I've been dreaming about putting together a 2.1 ALH with an increased compression ratio and big heavy flywheel. Big IP, BIG injectors, extra-short duration injection. TORQUE. :)
See thread title...:)

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Great thread.

Still looking for a hone? I have an extra BRM 83mm flex hone all boxed up and ready to ship. Can't remember the grit right now but it was basically the finest I could find.
Let me know.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Thanks for the offer, I have one borrowed along with a ring compressor from another member here.

Just waiting for rosten rods to get here, the pistons to get back from ceramic coating, and me to decide if the whole engine is coming out or if I'll do it in the car.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
Did you stick with the PD150 pistons? I'm surprised you went above and beyond to go with the ceramic coating.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
PD150 ARL pistons with "Gold Coat Ceramic Armor" coating on the tops from Swain Tech.

Rosten Rods, 12.9 main cap bolts, ARP head studs, will probably do some mild porting on the cylinder head while it's off, PD134 oil cooler, Oil pressure/temp gauge, Valve guides and seals, all the bearings, timing belt kit, engine mounts, front and rear main seal, Tie Rod Ends, Ball Joints, Springs, Shocks & Struts & Mounts, E-Code Headlights & Bulbs, Cabin blower motor, antenna base, glow plug harness and probably 20 other things that I'll find as I tear into it all.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
PD150 ARL pistons with "Gold Coat Ceramic Armor" coating on the tops from Swain Tech.

Rosten Rods, 12.9 main cap bolts, ARP head studs, will probably do some mild porting on the cylinder head while it's off, PD134 oil cooler, Oil pressure/temp gauge, Valve guides and seals, all the bearings, timing belt kit, engine mounts, front and rear main seal, Tie Rod Ends, Ball Joints, Springs, Shocks & Struts & Mounts, E-Code Headlights & Bulbs, Cabin blower motor, antenna base, glow plug harness and probably 20 other things that I'll find as I tear into it all.
Lol. Guess you found out where to stop.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
dear God, just pull the motor man! Have it hot tanked and painted pepto bismal (sp?) pink!

I would have put up with the whining motor till it quit running, not worth the headache of changing it *shrugs*

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Most all of the parts are either here or are on their way here finally. One more item to resolve, but otherwise, more/less ready to go.

I've been working on the cylinder head, it more/less needs everything. Not having the specific VAG tools called out in the bentley manual, I improvised and made my own. They worked well for me so far.

Guide Removal Tool - Just pound with a hammer from the valve side and out the guides come without damaging the guide bores.

Installing the new guides was pretty high tech as well :). A little lube on the guides makes them slide in easier

Very specialized tool... - 3/8" Drive, 3/8" 12 Point Deep Well Socket with the end ground square/flat.

The head has some cracks between the injector hole and both valve seats - I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is normal and not a cause for concern. I hope so.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The cam and lifters show some wear - they're going back in at least for a little while to get it back running again.

One thing I noticed was that there were similar dark spots on the surface of the head in each cylinder - they don't scrub off, almost like it's stained. Anyone else seen anything like this before?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've also started doing some head porting. Don't know if it's going to do any good or not, nor do I have a way to measure it. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

I'm not really touching the intake port at all. Cleaning up any casting flash at the core parting line and smoothing the transition from the port to the seat. That's really about it on the intake side. I figure that any attempt I can make to make the port larger without having a flow bench and swirl meter (and a spare head to practice on)will slow the airflow down reducing swirl and tumble in the cylinder and generally make things worse for low RPM power.

The intake gaskets match the ports almost perfectly, the exhaust, not so much.

Here's an unported intake port looking in from the cylinder

Here's the "porting" that I did - Just smoothed the transition to the seat and blended it down into the port

Here's another angle looking more down the port

Unported

"ported"

It's subtle, but shouldn't hurt anything flow wise.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The exhaust ports have a lot of material that can be removed just to match the gasket (outside of red line is insdie of gasket)

Unported

Ported - 90% complete - still a little clean up to do, but generally the shape/size I'm going for.

The pictures make it hard to see what really changed in the port. You really have to spend a lot of time doing it by feel. Stare at the wall and run your finger in/out of the port in the area you're working on and then compare to the stock port - back and forth and back and forth to "see" where the material is coming out. Same thing for repeating what you just did on the other 3 ports. All done by feel and comparison.

Generally, there's lots of material on the top of the port. I removed a lot of material from there while keeping the shape similar and retaining the fin off of the valve guide (just making the valleys deeper so as not to loose the fin all together).

The short side radius and floor of the port got trimmed significantly as well.

The side walls I tried to make parallel - there's a lot of material to remove right down before it turns down to the valve. Stock port hourglasses there and I made it tangent to the "bowl" area between the valve seat and valve stem.

The above mentioned "bowl" area seen in the 2nd and 5th pictures was also smoothed and enlarged. From the seat the stock port gets smaller and then maintains that smaller diameter all the way up to the guide for the ~180 degrees opposite the runner. I enlarged this area all the way down to the guide so it's the ID of the seat and transitions well into the sides of the fin behind the guide.

I've got a bit of an edge on the short side radius that I can't get to with the carbide bits, sanding rolls, etc - may have to use some long strips of emery cloth and smooth it out.

I took a lot of material out of the exahust side as I felt that it had the most room for improvement and there wasn't much risk in doing so (as opposed to the intake port).

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
fub, what was the outside diameter of the valve guide? I'm actually in process of making one for a 12v vr6 but I wouldn't mind making it universal for the TDI head as I still seem to work on those quite a bit.

I actually have a tool for reinstalling the valve guides for the ALH, I had my uncle EDM a ring out of a steel rod so the guides edge was supported while I pressed on the "collar" of the guide. It worked pretty well and was good for keeping the guide straight/square.

I do like your 3/8drive socket technique too though ;)

edit: I don't know why I never bothered to measure the OD of the alh valve guide when installing them heh, and after doing a little leg work didn't seem to find it.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Yes - There will be lots of material removed from the exhaust manifold to match the gasket.
how much material is left in the exhaust after porting? i'm thinking that it may be a problem with 1100+ deg and high EMP, usually the size difference is there to prevent reservation of exhaust gasses

yes i know gasket matching on the exhaust ports is actually the removal of alot of material

see the crack?

gasket matching is not the right technique, can cause velocity changes and unwanted turbulence

Last edited:

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Keaton,
I'd hazzard a guess that FUB will probably match his exhaust porting into the manifold so he doesn't create an apparent restriction as your diagram illustrates.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
fub, what was the outside diameter of the valve guide? I'm actually in process of making one for a 12v vr6 but I wouldn't mind making it universal for the TDI head as I still seem to work on those quite a bit.

I actually have a tool for reinstalling the valve guides for the ALH, I had my uncle EDM a ring out of a steel rod so the guides edge was supported while I pressed on the "collar" of the guide. It worked pretty well and was good for keeping the guide straight/square.

I do like your 3/8drive socket technique too though ;)

edit: I don't know why I never bothered to measure the OD of the alh valve guide when installing them heh, and after doing a little leg work didn't seem to find it.
Do you want to know the OD of the press in diameter or the largest OD of the shoulder?

From memory, the press in diameter of the guide was ~12mm, I'll have to measure the larger diameter.

The socket just clears the smaller diameter above the collar of the guide (maybe 0.010") and with the end "squared" up it seems to put them in very squarely with the arbor press.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
how much material is left in the exhaust after porting? i'm thinking that it may be a problem with 1100+ deg and high EMP, usually the size difference is there to prevent reservation of exhaust gasses

see the crack?

gasket matching is not the right technique, can cause velocity changes and unwanted turbulence

Well, I hope that does not happen (cracking the head in the exahust port). I used Whitbread's thread where he sectioned an ALH head with a bandsaw for reference. Do you have more information on the crack?

On the turbo, I found that the 17/22 hotside has bigger ports than the VNT15. I have no concerns about the exhaust manifold strength after porting.

The stock intake manifold/head interface is just like the diagram above - there's a huge lip there. The intake gasket matches the intake port almost exactly, however it has a 1/8-3/16" lip on the manifold all around.

Gasket matching is fine, but you have to do both interfaces that the gasket seals.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Weird, I've never seen a head crack like that and I have some customers that are plain abusive with heads I've ported. Heck, I'm pretty sure one of them managed to make one of my downpipes glow haha. I've never seen one of mine turn brown before (let alone in 15K :eek:).

Do you have a measurement of the port height where the crack is?

Last edited:

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Gasket matching is fine, but you have to do both interfaces that the gasket seals.
you change velocity when you do that

I take paper and tape it to the intake manifold and lightly tap it with a hammer (square ) to create a outline of the ports and bolts, cut it with an exacto knife and put it to the head for a template

Weird, I've never seen a head crack like that and I have some customers that are plain abusive with heads I've ported. Heck, I'm pretty sure one of them managed to make one of my downpipes glow haha. I've never seen one of mine turn brown before (let alone in 15K :eek:).

Do you have a measurement of the port height where the crack is?
not my cylinder head.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Those lifters/cam are junk... You already went this far, just spend the $220 on a new cam/lifter set... Beats doing some of the work over again...
Yeah, it's on the list...that continues to grow...head and block going out to get surfaced due to grooves from the head gasket moving.

Pistons are back from ceramic coating and look really nice.

I've got lots of pictures, but am running out of room on the club picture server :(

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
you change velocity when you do that

I take paper and tape it to the intake manifold and lightly tap it with a hammer (square ) to create a outline of the ports and bolts, cut it with an exacto knife and put it to the head for a template

not my cylinder head.
Understood, but the port is expanded all the way down. I didn't just expand the leading (or trailing) edge, the whole port grew.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
A few pictures from this weekends work...

On the way out...

On the stand...

Here's why I'm sending the block and head out to be surfaced.

The cylinder head also has similar marks

Maybe this is why the consensus is that replacement head gaskets don't seem to last as long as an original?

I just hope that between the new rods, pistons, ceramic coating on the pistons along with decking the block I don't need a 6 hole head gasket or something...