XM radio install

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL 5 spd, 2003 Jetta TDI GL 4dr 5 spd, 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition
Just installed XM radio on my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon.
Now you see it :)

Now you don't :)

Cigarette lighter power connector was moved to the coinholder slot in the center console.

[ February 01, 2003, 20:21: Message edited by: JettaJeddi ]

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL 5 spd, 2003 Jetta TDI GL 4dr 5 spd, 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition
It's the Delphi Skyfi.
runs off cassette adapter, fm modulator or with an add-on cable as an auxilary input (using the radio conector for the optional 6 cd changer.

The screen on the Skyfi is bright orange not too far off from VW red :)

ewheeler

Veteran Member
TDI
Camp Wht 2005.5 Jetta Pkg1
Originally posted by JettaJeddi:
It's the Delphi Skyfi.
runs off cassette adapter, fm modulator or with an add-on cable as an auxilary input (using the radio conector for the optional 6 cd changer.

The screen on the Skyfi is bright orange not too far off from VW red :)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did you have to modify the skyfi craddle to make it fit. Also, how easy is it to move the cig lighter to center console. Any pic's of that would be helpful.

Thanks

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
That's way cool! How did you decide XM versus Sirius? Just wondering but I suppose it depends on what music you listen to and what each has available. I assume your unit is connected via the aux?

[ February 13, 2003, 09:55: Message edited by: dlai ]

ewheeler

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by dlai:
That's way cool! How did you decide XM versus Sirius? Just wondering but I suppose it depends on what music you listen to and what each has available. I assume your unit is connected via the aux?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you look, you will see the wire going into the tape deck

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
XM is the way to go. Only thing they non't have NPR, for those who like that. But XM has bigger cross section and more channels. Not to mention the broadcast in MP3 formate. I hope to get it installed in wife's Jetta next month.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
I am contemplating XM radio. I would like to see the Delphi unit installed in a NB

I can not think of a good place for it.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
OldNavy, thanks for the tips on XM. Didn't know about the MP3 part. I just might have to go out and get one of these units. I really like the idea as well of hiding in the ashtray too. I've heard that there are units one can use in the car and the home. Anyone know if this is one of those units?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Yes, the unit pictured above is the Delphi Sky-Fi. A very slick little unit. The receiver itself retails for about $129, and home and car kits are retail for about $69 each. So it's about $200 to get started in either the home or the auto, then another $60 for another home or car kit.

The Sky-Fi unit has a leg up on any other presently available XM receiver in that you can listen to one channel and browse what's on any other XM channel simultaneously. It provides the most information on one screen of any other presently available receiver.

I wouldn't give up the sound quality of my Alpine XM setup though. It is Direct wired to the head unit via a proprietary bus, vs FM Modulated or Cassette adaptor on the Sky-Fi. I'd have a Sky-Fi as well, but I can't see paying two service fees. If they gave us a break for having two receivers, I'd be all over it.

ewheeler

Veteran Member
TDI
Theres a special going on right now for people who want to sky fi's. Check it out. I want to know how he was able to fit it into the ashtray with the cradel?

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by ewheeler:
Theres a special going on right now for people who want to sky fi's. Check it out. I want to know how he was able to fit it into the ashtray with the cradel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry guys - I forget to turn email notfication on this thread and forgot to check it.

By popular demand and because several people have asked me by email - i will post here a long description of the job and the installation required:

Thank you for the words about the setup.
Here are the gory details about the XM Skyfi install :)

1. Antenna: This was a 2 on the 1-5 scale - quite easy 15 minutes. Carefully lifted up the rubber/plastic grommet (careful not to break the plastic base the rubber sits on) that feeds wires from the hatch to the passenger compartment. Used some cable ties to tie the skinny XM antenna cable to the outside of the harness cable protector and cut a notch in the rubber base to feed the XM antenna wire to inside the car. Then used silicone to seal the notch on the rubber grommet. Feeding the antenna wire into the headliner moldings inside the car on the rear and passenger side was very easy - not even requiring the removal of the moldings - just slip the wire inside as you work around. Getting in the front of the passenger door (by the dash) was also easy as there was a pre-made cutout there as well. Continued to feed wire under the front dash by just loosening the covers under the glove box and continued toward the center console again just slipping the wire in under - it does help to loosen center console and unsnap it - but no need to remove it (besides it's a pain...)

2. Moving the cigarette holder and the Ashtray modification: This is the most painstaking part of the job. 4 out of 5. Removing the ashtray unit is easy - comes out with one screw on bottom. Removal of the cigarette lighter from ashtray assembly is difficult if you want to preserve the ashtray or the lighter in pristine condition. I managed to do it but it took a good hour. If you don't care about moving the cigarette holder and just want to eliminate it, you can skip to the part 5 of the install - but you will have to provide and wire your own female power adapter for the XM radio ( I used a Radio Shack female cigarette adapter i already had for a previous cell phone). First unhook the 3 wire electrical plug from the VW adapter but MAKE NOTE OF ORIENTATION (skinny power wire is for the light). carefully un-snap the small light and lens from the cigarette holder, then carefully work to loosen the cigarette holder from its ashtray base (be patient...) - mine was really tight and difficult to get off. Be careful not to break the nice round plastic bezel lens in the front of the OEM adapter.

3. Power considerations: To run the VW adapter to the center console position, lots of fabrication of electrical connectors was necessary. Original adapter plug was cut at the 1 inch mark in order to re-use at the new console position. The VW adapter has Power ON ALL the time - so cut each wire individually or better yet remove the fuse before cutting off original plug. You will need a 3 foot length of similar gauge 3-wire to extend lighter power to console. You also will need some sort of "Y" at the radio end - one leg to a female cigarette adapter plug (to plug in the XM adapter - DO NOT cut off XM adapter as it reduces current from 12 to 6 volts.) The other leg goes to your 3 foot extension cable for the console (that has the original oem plug now soldered on the console end). I used molex plugs for all connections (and since I am in the computer business, I used a Y hard drive cable connector which was perfect for this purpose as it is the correct gauge of wire and comes with 2 male and 1 female molex. Running the wire along the passenger side of the console was easy - just slip it underneath - being careful to avoid sharp metal edges or screws. Using the molex allows you to unplug the whole thing should any trobleshooting ever be necessary.

4. VW cigarrette lighter in console: (4 out of 5) Modifications needed. Carefully pry out the rubber coin holder and takes 3 or 4 of the rubber slits and hollow out this rubber piece to fit the OEM cigarrette adapter in there - it can be done with friction fit being careful to make sure that NO rubber part comes in contact with the metal parts of the cigarette adapter (they will heat up and possibly smell bad or get burned). The inside hole of the coin holder housing in center console needs to be opened up a bit to fit the original cigarette holder also (although the hole there looks like it was already made for one - possibly a New Beetle type center console cigarette holder might fit in there with no modification (I didnt have time to research that as I was already in the middle of the mod.

5. running the cassette adapter wire into the front of the dash can be done fairly stealthily but prying it into the sides between the radio and climate contols. Make sure cassette goes in big label side DOWN (the VW cassette player faces the opposite direction of most cassette units. Otherwise your adapter and cassette heads will not line up properly and one channel will be louder than the other. There are NO other connections to the OEM radio - this is a 2 out of 5.
Based on past experience I do not recommend using FM modulators - the ideal is to get a aux plug adapter that is available in the aftermarket - I may do that next. The cassette adapter works surprisingly quite well in the meantime.

6. I put some thin insulating foam in the ashtray hole to protect the XM. NO modifications to the XM base holder are necessary. I also fabricated two thin plastic rails (cdrom rails split along the long end... :) and screwed them to the side of the ashtray hole so that I could keep using the originall ashtray door to slide on top of the rails and to conceal the XM radio. I don't plan on taking my unit out to the house at all. My friend that works at XM radio calls this part the 007 mod :) I told him I haven't put in the ejection passenger seat for those wanting to listen to regular FM yet.... besides i don't have a sunroof....

7, the Skyfi unit is superb - no dropouts. the display is easy to see in the tray location - no glare. It also has programmable presets and a remote control that operates all functions and fits nicely on the drivers side door pouch. Actually you do not have to touch the main unit at all.
Enjoy!

[ February 14, 2003, 18:20: Message edited by: JettaJeddi ]

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Frank M:
I am contemplating XM radio. I would like to see the Delphi unit installed in a NB

I can not think of a good place for it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My neighbor has a '03 NB and has been talking about getting XM. I have taken a quick look at the NB - the ONLY place I see that might work is to put the XM unit in the overhead compartment by the rearview mirror - some mods of the rubber strips in there needed and a wayto secure the unit (velcro or XM supplied strips perhaps ???), an extension of the cassette adapter wire and the routing of the antenna wire should be - no big deal... Not sure if power available at that location (lamps) will adequately support XM yet - may need dedicated power...) it would be really sweet to be able to conceal the Skyfi up there though. If I wind up doing it - I will take pics :)

[ February 14, 2003, 18:34: Message edited by: JettaJeddi ]

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by ewheeler:
I want to know how he was able to fit it into the ashtray with the cradel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's a TDI GTG in Cental FLA taking place in March - see it first hand :)
check the GTG forum here.

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
To the side and slightly to the rear of the stock radio antenna on the back of the wagon roof.

TDI
rivetbutt
ok cool. i was trying to make sure i wasn't missing something obvious. on the Golf hatchback setup i didn't know if there was a fullproof way to get it in to the cab and not have it get pinched along a door seam/seal.

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by mike & kristen:
ok cool. i was trying to make sure i wasn't missing something obvious. on the Golf hatchback setup i didn't know if there was a fullproof way to get it in to the cab and not have it get pinched along a door seam/seal.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The FM double coax is so thin that it resembles thin lamcord - no danger of pinching in the hatch. You can always use some sticky tape to press it back and form it against the inside of the hatch channel.