www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:29   #1141
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford_guy View Post
Passat vs. Lupo. Which would you rather buy?

depends on the intended mission!
05 Passat TDI
Toys: 79 Beech Sundowner, 12 Cervelo R3 Team Ultegra, '94 Marinoni Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:36   #1142
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

I really, really like the Lupo's styling. Inside and out. It still looks fresh today.
Old August 17th, 2011, 14:29   #1143
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_1er_diesel View Post
I really, really like the Lupo's styling. Inside and out. It still looks fresh today.
Agreed.
oxford_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 16:24   #1144
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctdi View Post
What was the title of this thread again???

I think the point is to many of us here on this site at least is we want a new replacement that can at least equal the mid 50s mpgUS, easily achieved with a manual trans and 1Z or ALH equipped car.

Every diesel I have purchased for purpose of being my daily driver has always exceeded what the older model was capable, going back to the late 70s.

But today because of high cost at the pump making all VW diesel offerings sold for the last 30 years if in working order hold their value like no other thing ever sold here in the states. And the very limited supply of offered diesel models from the last 15 years that gets smaller everyday along with the high price at the pump have combined to make their resale value just too high for me unless they are in pieces not running. Because of the high value of my 20+ year old Jetta D last year I got enough to purchase a 16 year newer low miles on the clock Toyota.

This price difference has forced me to purchase a late model Toyota Corolla and newer Honda Accord in the last 2 years because of the lower price. I could get these decades newer Asian models with low miles compared under 50k miles compared to VW diesel models with 150k to 200k+ miles at twice their age or more .

If I am going to have to put out this kind of cash to replace my diesel it needs to at least equal the mid 50s mpgUS in mixed driving of pretty much any manual trans 1z or ALH equipped car. Nothing sold since 03 MY in the US can do this, hybrids included real world the way I drive. I have plenty of miles clocked in these pieces of crap to prove that hybrids donnot equal my diesels at speed or in miles clocked at speed mpgs.

I care less than nothing about 0-60 mph ( more than willing to live with 20+ sec. range of 0 to 60 ). A lower power 3-4 cylinder that can return 60+ mpgs in a Polo, Jetta/Golf, Passat BlueMotion powered car is what I want with TDI diesel power.
Old August 17th, 2011, 17:36   #1145
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
I care less than nothing about 0-60 mph ( more than willing to live with 20+ sec. range of 0 to 60 ). .
if you're actually serious about fuel mileage, I can point you toward something that is known to get about 350 mpg..... and has for the last 40+ years. its also the best selling vehicle on earth, many, many times over.

....the Supercub

I own a bunch of bikes, and the only one that gets decent mileage for its size is my BMW R1150GS.
Its a monster but you can still get 50 mpg out of it.

Last edited by eatpasta; August 17th, 2011 at 17:38.
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 20:35   #1146
abctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think the point is to many of us here on this site at least is we want a new replacement that can at least equal the mid 50s mpgUS, easily achieved with a manual trans and 1Z or ALH equipped car.

Every diesel I have purchased for purpose of being my daily driver has always exceeded what the older model was capable, going back to the late 70s.

But today because of high cost at the pump making all VW diesel offerings sold for the last 30 years if in working order hold their value like no other thing ever sold here in the states. And the very limited supply of offered diesel models from the last 15 years that gets smaller everyday along with the high price at the pump have combined to make their resale value just too high for me unless they are in pieces not running. Because of the high value of my 20+ year old Jetta D last year I got enough to purchase a 16 year newer low miles on the clock Toyota.

This price difference has forced me to purchase a late model Toyota Corolla and newer Honda Accord in the last 2 years because of the lower price. I could get these decades newer Asian models with low miles compared under 50k miles compared to VW diesel models with 150k to 200k+ miles at twice their age or more .

If I am going to have to put out this kind of cash to replace my diesel it needs to at least equal the mid 50s mpgUS in mixed driving of pretty much any manual trans 1z or ALH equipped car. Nothing sold since 03 MY in the US can do this, hybrids included real world the way I drive. I have plenty of miles clocked in these pieces of crap to prove that hybrids donnot equal my diesels at speed or in miles clocked at speed mpgs.

I care less than nothing about 0-60 mph ( more than willing to live with 20+ sec. range of 0 to 60 ). A lower power 3-4 cylinder that can return 60+ mpgs in a Polo, Jetta/Golf, Passat BlueMotion powered car is what I want with TDI diesel power.
Don't blame VW, blame the EPA for lower mpg's and higher car costs...
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra, premature cam wear? now driven only once or twice a week
2012 Kia Optima SX turbo, 274 hp, 269 ft-lb @ 1750-4500 rpm, corsa blue, new daily driver
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:24   #1147
wolfskin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
When the Lupo is 15 years old though, it will be legal to import one into Canada. Should be easy to find a clean, low-mileage European Lupo. Mind you I think I'd prefer the Polo, a little more right-sized for me.
Don't bet on it. Not many were made (bad market timing, I think), and now they're in high demand. Especially the diesel ones. They're a hit also with hot-hatch tuners, the TDI can be chipped and the car's low weight makes it quite quick.

But if it's true that you can import 15 years old cars into Canada, you have other options. Polos have been coming with diesel engines forever and they tend to hold together well even after 15 years.
Early Fabias are turning 12, but the 1.4 TDI only came from 2003, so you'd have to wait a while.
Maybe in 11 years' time, I'll ship mine over to you Don't think I'll give it up much sooner, I just got 71mpg (US) on a recent 150 mile trip, without really making any special effort to save fuel (I even used the aircon for part of the trip).
You can also service any of these at any mechanic that knows VWs.
wolfskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:34   #1148
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
But today because of high cost at the pump making all VW diesel offerings sold for the last 30 years if in working order hold their value like no other thing ever sold here in the states.
For today, this is not exactly true. Due to the problems in Japan, most of the Japanese manufactured used cars are increasing in value. I have a 2009 CR-V with almost 50K miles and was just offered $21,500 in cash from the Honda dealer. No tie to having to purchase a new car from them. I can take the cash and walk across the street to buy a 2011 TDI Golf, if I wanted. I paid around $26,000 for it in November of 2008 and value has gone up between $3000 and $4000 this summer. I know this is short lived but at least I can dream of having two TDIs in my garage at the same time.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:30   #1149
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctdi View Post
Don't blame VW, blame the EPA for lower mpg's and higher car costs...
Definitely.
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:26   #1150
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

There's a middle ground.

When emissions standards are such that cars are emitting CLEANER exhaust than the intake air, they may have gone too far.

When emissions standards are such that cars subject to the emissions standards are getting worse fuel economy, or that the most economical options are no longer feasible, they may have gone too far.

When emissions standards are based on pseudoscience, they may have gone too far. (See: the weekend effect, and studies of the effects of very high particle mass but with low particle count (what diesels put out) versus low particle mass but with very high particle count (what gassers put out).)

I'm not calling for cars that "roll the coal" or the return of the 1960s 2-stroke gasser (although if a direct injected 2-stroke can have reasonable emissions, bring it on.) Myself, I want to see reasonable emissions standards that prevent gross pollution, but don't make efficiency impractical. Every single vehicle in that photo would fail, say, a mid 1990s EPA emissions test, and almost certainly state/regional emissions tests for cars of that age. For that matter, the trucks are probably getting awful fuel economy, and not as much power as they could be making. The car will be worn out and also getting bad fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:31   #1151
Sappington
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/44/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
When emissions standards are based on pseudoscience, they may have gone too far. (See: the weekend effect, and studies of the effects of very high particle mass but with low particle count (what diesels put out) versus low particle mass but with very high particle count (what gassers put out).)
This isn't clear to me. Are you saying that the weekend effect study is pseudoscience, or that it counters pseudoscience?