2011 Jetta wiring recall

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well, VWs certainly have been reliable... I had similar problems on my 1972 Squareback...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/28/autos/vw_jetta_horn_recall/index.htm?hpt=T2

"Under certain rare circumstances using the horn could cause a short circuit that would, in turn, cause an electronic part called a converter box to disconnect from the car's power supply, a VW spokeswoman said"

"The converter box supplies power to various components, including the headlights, wipers and the engine controller. Cutting off power to the engine controller shuts off the car's engine."

Y.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
It sounds like a DC/DC converter is being shorted when the horn is being used. This can cause failure of the converter due to semiconductor or passive component failure. Besides beefing up the horn circuit perhaps the horn circuit can have a fuse installed to avoid engine failure on the road.
Does anyone know what the VW solution actually is?

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Jetta Recall Announced

Recall: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta—Horn and anti-theft alarm wiring
Mar 28, 2011 1:22 PM

2011 VW Jetta
Volkswagen of American announced a recall of 71,043 2011 model year Jettas. The company says it needs to "reconfigure" a wiring layout for the car's anti-theft alarm system and horn.

No injuries or accidents have been tied to the wiring issue. But Volkswagen says this voluntary safety recall affects sixth-generation Jetta sedans manufactured between March 2010 and March 2011.

Jetta owners affected by this recall will soon receive notices concerning repairs via postal mail from Volkswagen. In the meantime, owners with questions or concerns should contact Volkswagen Customer Care: 800-822-8987.

Volkswagen Announces Voluntary Safety Recall Of 71,000 2011 Model Year Jetta Vehicles [Volkswagen]

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I can see the headline in the Star Ledger....
"Dead VW Jettas litter NJ roads.":D

msalivar

TDI
2010 Jetta w/ DSG
Try driving in a retirement town without a horn, I guarantee you'll fail by the first four way stop.