www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 30th, 2010, 11:54   #61
TGOLF
Veteran Member

I am getting ready to change ATF in my 1999.5 Golf and couldn't help but find this old thread.

Anyone out there thats needs a 'How to' this it.

I wish Drivibiwire was still around. He changed my second timing belt AND ATF. Drove all the way to Northeastern Oregon from Tacoma to have done right...
TGOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 14:00   #62
SheeB
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure DBW is still around, as I just had my injector cleaned and calibrated now to long ago. Maybe you mean he's not into the service side of TDI's anymore?
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed, Stock VNT-15 Turbo, 11mm IP, Evolution Skid Plate, TDIHeater, TT Bushings, Cold Weather Air Filter w/Snow Screen Deleted, CAT air filter restriction gauge, New South EGT & Boost Gauges w/Steering Column Pod, CAT Fuel Filter w/Nicktane Filter Head, 5 Light Brake Mod, Bosio PP520 nozzles, DG EGR & Cooler Deleted, Catalytic Deleted, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch (DMF version).
SheeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 14:58   #63
TGOLF
Veteran Member

Last known sighting I know of was Idaho... I think you're right may be vendor now with doing injectors....but haven't seen any posting since 2007....
TGOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:00   #64
Diesel pwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOLF View Post
Last known sighting I know of was Idaho... I think you're right may be vendor now with doing injectors....but haven't seen any posting since 2007....
he posted yesterday on a coolant thread
Diesel pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:37   #65
Brand

My transmission feels like it has finally blown up after 40K of hard shifting. Should I try changing the oil or am I too far gone?
Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 21:55   #66
notonline

Default wow thats not cheap

has anyone found a good price on transmission fluid (G 052 162 A2)? everywhere i look it's between 15-25 dollars a liter. is there any other brand (at a lower price) that well work?
notonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:34   #67
AlanTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lost track
Default atf

Hi:
I just brought some Maxxus ATF for $9.95 from germanautoparts dot com (Im not affiliated with them).
I am running it in my OEM rebuild tranny; stealer installed 2 years ago and about 80K miles on it now($5200).
Seems ok.

I had a problem with it not shifting out of 4th, the RPM's at 60+mph was about 3700~ (should be about maybe 2300~correct me if im wrong). I thought oh no, this is very bad. Changed fluid and filter.

Babied it for about a week, then I said screw it and really hit it hard at 60+ for aboout 7 miles on the Wantagh parkway, then......miracle upon miracle.......it just shifted smoothly into fouth....

its been good since then.... about few weeks, so maybe im thinking one of the selonoids in the valve body was stuck, then got unstuck.lucky
1996 Passat Wagon 2001 Jetta (Red) 2004 Mazda 6

Last edited by AlanTDI; January 7th, 2011 at 11:05.
AlanTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 13:03   #68
CLUTCHNSHIFT

Thumbs up Drivbiwire, a belated thank you.

The post is dead, long live the post!

I read your many years old post on the ATF change procedure and found that it helped paint a better picture for me.

I have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI w/DSG and I am going to be servicing the DSG soon enough. Though the transmissions are different the procedure is similar enough to help me with mine. I appreciate the detail.

Are you still flying these days?

Regards,
Peter
CLUTCHNSHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 16:17   #69
simbolo
Veteran Member

Just did mine today, went smooth mostly.

I was at 90K Miles on the old fluid and had some extra laying around so I decided to put in 4liters, drain it to proper level, let it cool a bit, add another liter and drain it to proper level again. Hopefully this had the effect of getting more old fluid out? Anyone know if that is so?

Also I could not figure out where to use the sealing washer as my plug already had a washer on it that I could not remove... am I missing something? should I expect leaks?

thanks...

simbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:04   #70
CLUTCHNSHIFT

Default 02E DSG Service

Servicing the 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6-Speed DSG Transmission.
It's not an A4, but it can serve as a reference...

2009 VW Jetta TDI - DSG Service - Part I: The Filter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iFLxpVYE2I

2009 VW Jetta TDI - DSG Service - Part II: The Oil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlDJysb-S50

Reference from above videos:

Changing the Oil is easier than it looks, you just need to have the means to add the oil (VAS 6262/6262A or equivalent) AND you need to have a way to read DSG Oil temperature from G509 in order to finalize the correct oil level.

=== A Homemade VAS 6262-type equivalent ===

The DSG Servicing Schematic I included in the video labels the adapter dimensions as 24Mx1.5mm, it's actually M24x1.5mm. If you make your own or obtain a suitable equivalent Filling Adapter, know that the plug depth is 1/2"...just look at the Drain Plug itself.

For a ready-to-go Filling Adapter, look for P/N ATF16DSG.
Visit http://www.toolsource.com/vwaudi-drive-line-filler-adapter-p-105577.html here at $34 US.

Then, all you need is about $2-worth clear tubing found at any hardware store and a $5 open-close valve also found at most hardware stores.

Attach the valve to a DSG Oil bottle cap, then secure one end of the clear tubing to the other end of the valve...you are now ready to service your DSG.
----------

Visit the following pages for additional information:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169356

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com

http://www.idparts.com
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:24   #71
diesel_farmer

Fuel Economy: Do you have to ask, It's a diesel?!!
Default Should I change the tranny fluid or not?

Recently acquired an 02 jetta tdi with 174,000 miles with the original automatic transmission fluid that was never changed. Prior owner advised me that he was advised not to change it and never did. No trouble so far and the transmission is original and never serviced. After reading this thread it looks like I should get the fluid changed, or should I just let it be? Thanks for thoughts.
diesel_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:48   #72
CLUTCHNSHIFT

Default Oil Changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_farmer View Post
Recently acquired an 02 jetta tdi with 174,000 miles with the original automatic transmission fluid that was never changed. Prior owner advised me that he was advised not to change it and never did. No trouble so far and the transmission is original and never serviced. After reading this thread it looks like I should get the fluid changed, or should I just let it be? Thanks for thoughts.
I've heard that some transmissions can go the distance without servicing. If I had purchased a car such as yours and the previous owner was that honest about it's history, I would be fine with it...but I would still like to see the condition of the transmission via the condition of the oil/filter. Piece of mind, you know. Fresh oil shouldn't harm it, though improper service will. Get the opinion of another same-model owner, diesel_farmer...luck to you!
P.S. Remember that all machines breakdown and all filters get clogged/overwhelmed at one point or another. The oil lubricates, cools, and cleans.

Last edited by CLUTCHNSHIFT; May 26th, 2011 at 11:01. Reason: Post Script
Old May 26th, 2011, 18:04   #73
gstspeedster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_farmer View Post
I've talked to a few people that started having problems after the fluid change. I've been told that since the fluid had been in there for so long that the "gunk" and what not help with the friction on the plates and when new slick fluid is put in it will start to slip. This is just what I've been told and I don't have any other info than that. Just thought I'd let you know
Old May 26th, 2011, 19:42   #74
diesel_farmer

Fuel Economy: Do you have to ask, It's a diesel?!!
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I might just leave the fluid alone and when the auto tranny dies, switch to a manual 5 or 6 speed tranny.
diesel_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:49   #75
redcorradoguy

I'm having a bit of an odd situation I think.

I drained the transmission, changed the filter and cleaned up the pan.

I put things back together and set about checking the level just now. I had put 4 liters in, so I fully expected that almost no fluid would come out of the check-hole and I would have to put in about a half a liter.

When I removed the plug, a pretty good amount of fluid came out! And kept coming out. So I put the plug back in and shut the car down.

The little tube is in there in the pan but I think something may be wrong (though I couldn't see anything when the pan was off yesterday). When I pulled the plug yesterday, it seemed like quite a lot of fluid came out-I was surprised. But then decided that it could have just been that the engine wasn't running so no fluid was being pumped up inside.

But the amount of fluid coming out now is disconcerting given that I've only put 4 liters in so far.

Thoughs?
redcorradoguy is offline   Reply With Quote