www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 16th, 2011, 17:58   #1
Boxer246

Default Glow plug light flashing

Just got my head back on the '98 AHU after timing belt failure and subsequent head rebuild. Finally got the car started after hours of trying to figure out why injection pump wouldn't prime...(main wiring connector to injection pump was loose, not clipped in DUH!!). Anyway, now after about 30 seconds of engine running, the glow plug light begins flashing.
Any idea what this might mean?
I did replace the glow plug harness because the old one had desintegrated. I did not splice the wires to the old harness, like some do, rather I was able to remove the spade connectors from the main round harness disconnect and plug the new spade connectors in like original.

I dont have a VAG-COM yet so I cant diagnose that way.
Boxer246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 17:59   #2
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

How are the brake lights working? Bad bulbs or switch are normal cause of this.
Old January 16th, 2011, 18:08   #3
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Does the throttle still work when the lights flashing? I had my light flashing when the tps stopped working.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 20:40   #4
Boxer246

Ah, I just read a thread on this. Yes it seems like bad brake light bulbs or brake light switch can cause the glow plug light to flash. Its pissing rain right now, will have to wait till tomorrow to investigate further.

Seatman....throttle seems to work fine but I haven't taken the car for an extended shakedown yet. Just took it around the block after I got it all buttoned up tonight.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:52   #5
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatman View Post
Does the throttle still work when the lights flashing? I had my light flashing when the tps stopped working.
Sometimes the TPS works, sometimes it doesn't. My wife's A4 still ran fine, just no cruise when the switch was going out. Don't understand why, since I would think it should have overridden the TPS, but in her case it didn't seem to affect that part of the drivability. It's nice when the car gets her home, so I didn't concern myself too much with this question at the time.
Old January 17th, 2011, 13:44   #6
Seatman
Veteran Member

It turned out my ecu was soaked through but luckily after I took it apart, cleaned some crud off the board, resealed it and put it back on the car everything was fine and has been since. The brake lights and switch are new to me, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Old January 17th, 2011, 19:08   #7
Boxer246

Well drove the car about 100 miles today, glow plug light flashing the whole time. Brake lights (all three) are working fine, throttle seems to work fine.

Disconnected 3rd injector harness, reconnected, no change.
Guess I'll have to wait till I can hook it up to VAG Com.
Old January 17th, 2011, 19:37   #8
Seatman
Veteran Member

Did you check the switch on the brake pedal? My car has 2 for some reason.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:56   #9
lowpolo

the black switch is for the brakes and the blue one for the cruise control switch off
lowpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 16:24   #10
vgmnstr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best economy 52.1mpg averaging 60 mph. And 757miles on that tank.

Mine came on today too. I know a faulty brake light switch will cause it. I had that replaced two years ago with the recall. Will an open rear bulb really set it off?
vgmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 17:09   #11
vgmnstr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgmnstr View Post
Mine came on today too. I know a faulty brake light switch will cause it. I had that replaced two years ago with the recall. Will an open rear bulb really set it off?

And now after going to check, i only have a third brake light operational. Checked the wiring diagram, 3rd brake works, tail lights work, turn signals work. I'm thinking the brake light switch.

Anyone happen to know what VW's parts warranty is? I think I had it replaced just under 2 years ago under the recall.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 19:04   #12
tstdimk4
Veteran Member

where is the brake light switch exactly? my glow plug light started to flash today and my cruise wont work either.. so im guessing its this switch thats causing the problem. and i just went out and checked the lights, only the third brake light comes on.. the left and right are out
tstdimk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 19:13   #13
tstdimk4
Veteran Member

just came across this http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1158315 maybe it will help others if they need to change this switch.. and im just gonna try to replace those 2 bulbs and see if that fixes it. the funny thing is i just ordered new gli smoked tail lights today and now tonight i get this problem lol talk about irony!
tstdimk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:08   #14
vgmnstr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstdimk4 View Post
where is the brake light switch exactly? my glow plug light started to flash today and my cruise wont work either.. so im guessing its this switch thats causing the problem. and i just went out and checked the lights, only the third brake light comes on.. the left and right are out

First thing I went after was the bulbs. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my right side brake lamp bulb is always going out. Checked it, and the filament was in tact.
Old January 24th, 2011, 18:04   #15
vgmnstr
Veteran Member

Are you sure you are looking at your brake pedal and not the clutch? My clutch has two switch cutouts, and brake pedal has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatman View Post
Did you check the switch on the brake pedal? My car has 2 for some reason.