www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 30th, 2010, 21:54   #1
05_passat_tdi
Veteran Member

Default 00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85) 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

On my trip back from St. Louis after having my bsm changed out, the esp light came on shortly after getting on the freeway. I have noticed that when driving in the city the light stays off but if I drive just a few miles on the freeway it will come on. I recently decided to scan the abs system and found that fault. I also checked the measuring blocks and did find that the computer can read data from the sensor. Before tearing the steering wheel apart cluelessly, I am hoping someone will chime in with some insight. Thanks.
05_passat_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 23:14   #2
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Relay 219?

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Silver
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Automatic Green
Biodezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:50   #3
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Oxidation on a connector or the sensor is going bad.
Old July 31st, 2010, 06:20   #4
05_passat_tdi
Veteran Member

From what I understand, the sensor is mounted to the steering column just below the steering wheel and so the connections are there and at the control module. And if the control module connection is oxidized I imagine I would see more strange behavior, right? Also, I don't know where that particular control module is located to check. The part that throws me off is that I can drive all day in the city and no problems, but just a few minutes on the freeway and the esp light will come on. I know the bsm change doesn't mess with the steering wheel so I don't think it just needs recalibrated. And I don't know if this makes any effect on it or not, but the drivers side tie rod end is wore out and going to be changed soon. I appreciate your help, and ideas.
Old August 1st, 2010, 18:30   #5
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_passat_tdi View Post
... the drivers side tie rod end is wore out and going to be changed soon.
Hear a "thunking" sound going over medium-size bumps?
My car had this symptom...turned out to be a worn-out control arm that was first diagnosed as a worn-out tie rod end.

Good luck.

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Silver
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Automatic Green
Biodezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 19:31   #6
05_passat_tdi
Veteran Member

Yes I do hear that thunking sound, however I can grab that wheel and make it wobble. And it was first Oilhammer that first diagnosed the problem. It is possible that also the control arm is damaged. But I still don't know what is up with the sensor. I find it unusual that the sensor in the steering wheel would develop problems immediately after Oilhammer took care of my balance shaft. So I am wondering if there is something else that could cause this that makes sense?
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:40   #7
thebaz67
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Passat

I think you should attempt the calibration that is listed on the Ross-tech site.

You have nothing to loose trying that since the sensor is appox 350.00

I had to replace mine since VCDS showed it as bad.

Baz
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:48   #8
05_passat_tdi
Veteran Member

It can't hurt since I don't think my sensor is bad. I just don't know what would have caused it to lose calibration if the battery wasn't disconnected and steering wheel not messed with. I just had the tie rod end changed and it had considerably more play in it than 2 weeks ago, so I am hoping that a jiggly wheel was causing the computer to go crazy. I will find out tomorrow morning.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 21:00   #9
05_passat_tdi
Veteran Member

With a 75 mile freeway drive this morning and the traction control light didn't come on. So I am going to say that a bad tie rod end caused the condition.