Drop in 6 Speeds for the MKIV/MKV Save Thousands!

Jerry Freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Scott_DeWitt said:
5th gear is not my ideal choice, but rather selected as it is the tallest 5th gear available off the shelf (ie not expensive), I'd rather see a 5th gear around .8, but that would add approx $500 to the kit.
If I get to where I can afford to do this, I would be interested in a fifth gear that isn't a compromise from the more ideal configuration. Will it be available at the higher cost for those of us who want a fifth gear that fits more exactly into the sequence?

Best wishes,
Jerry

Catdude

TDI
2001 Jetta
Updates? My automatic is on the way out and I'm about to swap in a manual. The donor car I have to use has a lot of miles on it and rather than rebuilding the tranny in it I'd like to go with this option.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have not had much time to invest in this effort due to our current work load.

To proceed I'd have to have 10 interested parties, ie paid deposits to get good pricing on the parts I have to have manufactured. As soon as our current work is caught up on I plan to further pursue this.

I'm working with a few individuals to get a couple prototypes out there for testing and evaluation.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Its great you're getting so much business! I believe that we will be able to get 10 interested people before too long. As long as my house sells, (supposed to close beginning of next month), I will be willing to buy and send in more than one 02J. I could keep them in storage to sell later or if my fantasy comes true I will be ordering them regularly to install in Smyth car builds. The 02M is a tempting option, but a light-weight sports car deserves a light-weight transmission.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
It's interesting you mentioned the 02M... I've been overhauling many of these and comparing gear widths etc to the 02J, and the 02M isn't much stronger than the 02J. I just got an 02M that was behind a very potent 1.8t (400hp) with severe gear galling...

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
I think what kills the 02J's is case and/or shaft flex. 02M's have three shafts, so the forces are distributed in more directions between the shafts and the case, which keeps the gears together better.

Just a guess though.

I've got a TDI 02J just laying here for my Scirocco TDI project too. So tempting. Would love a 6-speed in it, the extra gear would be nice since my overall tire diameter is going to be smaller than the mk4.

Brendan

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
Originally Posted by Scott Dewitt
I'm proud to announce the future availability of drop in 6 speeds for the MKIV and MKV cars. These replace you 5 speed precisely without the additional expense of having to buy clutches,axles or mounts! Pricing is also way less than comparable 02M 6 speeds and their required components. Save all that money for go fast parts!

I've got a container of transmissions in the works, and once they arrive I'll start processing the gearboxes through our rebuilding program. All gearboxes will be upgraded to handle over 450 Ft/Lbs of torque of torque.

Pricing is tentative, but going to be around $2000 for a fully upgraded and rebuilt 6 speed. This is taking into account your old 5 speed that I would require.

Stay tuned to this post for further information!
Could one of these work in the place of my CZL tranny?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Interested in the development of this as well. If it happens, it definitely have the option for the economy-minded to use the 3.16 R&P from the CTN transmission and .622 as the 6th cog. 1980 RPM @ 75 MPH using standard size 195/65-15 tires.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
I really dont want to go through all the pages. What's the latest news on this project? Is it going to happen?
Is it going to happen.. Yes, however costs are quite a bit higher than initially anticipated. A "Kit" is going to run approx $2300 for and order of 15+, however you will only be able to use certain code gearboxes as cores to get the correct parts to mate up. I can have just about any part made to spec (gear ratio) for this gearbox but at 1,200 for a ring an pinion it will get very expensive very quickly.

For the time being I'm awaiting my container of factory 6 speeds to show up, and clearing the shop of the various garage queens that I've collected over the past year to get more space and revenue to ramp up for production.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
what would be needed for a deposit, what would be the total coast seeing as i can get 6spd from RyanP for under $2000 and when would a delivery date be? or reasonable guess on delivery time

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
what would be needed for a deposit, what would be the total coast seeing as i can get 6spd from RyanP for under $2000 and when would a delivery date be? or reasonable guess on delivery time
The advantage of these 6 speeds, are they can be had with far better ratios than anything found in a scrap yard.

They will be fully rebuilt and covered by a warranty from possibly the best VAG transmission re builder in the US.

These gearboxes will also used 5 speed clutches (far less expensive than the 02M 6 speed stuff) and installation is as easy as removing/installing the transmission.

Your comparing some unknown used gearbox pulled from a salvage yard to an essentially new gearbox, made to your specs, how can you call that an accurate comparison?
If all you want is a 6 speed and care less about anything other than the extra number on your shift knob then this solution isn't your cup of tea.

As for costs read the thread I've posted them at least twice.

I've contacted a few TDI club members discussing field testing of these gearboxes. I've also got to finish installing cnc equipment at the shop and get some jobs complete before I can proceed with taking deposits and production.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

TDI
Scott, thanks for taking your time and effort for this project. I doubt that the volume of these you will sell will make the project extremely profitable in the short term... and it is certainly is a lot of work you've done. Those of us who understand the massive benefits to a lighter-weight, freshly-rebuilt transmission with custom ratios are all waiting anxiously, but patiently.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I have followed this thread from day one, but I guess I'm still scratching my head at what "custom ratios" are going to be offered. What options do we have at the $2300 price level?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Hmm...must've missed that one somewhere along the way. Probably since I was gone from home for 2 months and you posted in the middle of that.

Final drive - stock
1st - stock (good)
2nd - taller than stock (good)
3rd and 4th - stock
5th seems too low to me, wouldn't the .717 be a better choice or is availability an issue? If that is so I'd rather have a stock 5th.
6th looks good, great crusing gear.

*fiendishly scheming and thinking about how to convince my wife that I need this...or how to hide it* :D
Things sure can change in 6 months time. Wife left so...no more permission/forgiveness needed. :rolleyes:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Hmm...must've missed that one somewhere along the way. Probably since I was gone from home for 2 months and you posted in the middle of that.

Final drive - stock
1st - stock (good)
2nd - taller than stock (good)
3rd and 4th - stock
5th seems too low to me, wouldn't the .717 be a better choice or is availability an issue? If that is so I'd rather have a stock 5th.
6th looks good, great crusing gear.

Things sure can change in 6 months time. Wife left so...no more permission/forgiveness needed. :rolleyes:

To keep cost low I'm limited to off the shelf 5th gear suitable for a 6 speed. I can have any ratio 5th made, at about 600-700 per gear pair.

zoompastu

TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks to a whine in my final drive I need to do some meesing with the gearbox so this is a great upgrade for all of us. good thing my Mrs. has this wierd obsession with 6-speeds. Permission should be easy to obtain. now I just have to sell my 325is:(

manual_tranny

TDI
I was just reading here that 02A synchronizers can be used in a 02J, and they seemed to be speculating that it would work better in a "race" gearbox. Do you know if this is true or false, and have you considered using these synchronizers in your 6-speeds?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
I was just reading here that 02A synchronizers can be used in a 02J, and they seemed to be speculating that it would work better in a "race" gearbox. Do you know if this is true or false, and have you considered using these synchronizers in your 6-speeds?
I'm not sure what they are talking about but a finer tooth would require different gears as the syncro teeth are integral to the gear.

I've found a supplier of composite syncronizers, most other re builders use aftermarket brass rings to save on cost while sacrificing shifting quality and durability.

1-2 gear syncros old on right new on left

Here's some more pics of the new 1-2 syncros left versus old on the right.

Another interesting tidbit is the pinion bearing support, the later one is cast meaning it has more stiffness compared to the stock stamped steel piece.

These are the 3-4 gear syncros. New on left old on right.

Last edited:

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I am quite interested in this again, as Im beginning to develop a 3rd gear grind. One of the more experienced techs in the shop told me that the synchro ring probably cracked... Ill have to go through this whole thing here when I have more time to see more of the specifics but its looking really good right now. How close are these to being ready for the masses?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Currently I can do custom builds, contact me for pricing, but to stay within the original estimate of around $2,400 I'd have to have 20 prepaid buyers and the build time would be approx 3 months to get the parts manufactured and construct the gearboxes. So far no individuals much less 20 I've spoken with are willing to meet these terms.

I still plan to field a few of these, but after that who knows, demand has been quit a bit less than anticipated.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
As life would have it, money is a bit tight. I certainly have interest in one of these but I need to finish cleaning the tables as it were before I can reasonably expect to purchase one.