www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:48   #1
migbro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf GL
Default Does this look like a 7,000 mile timing belt?

My first post here. Just bought a 2003 Golf GL TDI with 103,800 miles on the odometer. The car is an ugly duckling – cloudy headlights, dented hood, dirty interior – but it’s a Southern car with no rust and that’s a big plus here in Massachusetts.

Spent Sunday getting to know the car a bit – poking around, cleaning up under the hood. Cleaned the snow screen, which was 40% blocked – picture below.

Also took a look at the timing belt. The car came with a receipt ($951.45, including $342.50 for a “timing belt kit”) showing that the timing belt and water pump were replaced less than 7,000 miles ago.

Does this look like a 7,000 mile timing belt to you?

migbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:50   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

It looks like you're about to re-do the entire timing belt job + water pump and related components! Welcome aboard
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:58   #3
puter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg

FYI, below is a kit that contains all the parts you should be replacing when you do the TB:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=349
puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:11   #4
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

If there is any doubt, you should assume it needs the change. Repairing the possible damage, is far more than replacing the belt. I would do a full TB job, including water pump and tensioner.

Good Luck
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:49   #5
Luv My 02 TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/44

I would check that receipt and maybe call the installer. My wife's 99 NB belt with over 130k on it looked better than that when it was removed. Was the vehicle a private sale or did you get it from a dealer?

Luv My 02 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:06   #6
migbro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My 02 TDI
I would check that receipt and maybe call the installer.
Well, I'm curious, if I did call the installer as you suggest, what would be the purpose of that call?
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:13   #7
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by migbro

what would be the purpose of that call?
To determine why the owner was billed $900 and the work not completed
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:24   #8
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

I spy with my little eye...a mark and pray TB job. See the paint mark on the cam pulley? That means the job was done without the correct tools. I would also bet that not all the parts were replaced, not to mention the fact that they probably reused the stretch bolts.

Re-do. Go see Chris Hill at Kraftwerke in Braintree...he will fix it up right.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

Last edited by TDICADDGUY; May 24th, 2010 at 10:26.
TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:48   #9
migbro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDICADDGUY
I spy with my little eye...a mark and pray TB job. See the paint mark on the cam pulley?
Oh, yeah! I missed that. And thanks for the Chris Hill suggestion!

I'm a long time shade tree mechanic, so will be doing it myself with the Dieselgeek kit and Metalnerd tools. The question is, should I do it NOW, or can I drive it for a while?

I don't do timing belts very often, the last one was a Toyota Sequoia last year, so I wasn't sure if this is the original TB ($900 sun job) or a poor quality aftermarket TB. The cam pulley paint mark points to the TB being replaced, but shouldn't a 7,000 mile TB be crisp, just like it came out of the bag? Just what do those fuzzy edges mean?

Last edited by migbro; May 24th, 2010 at 11:03.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:00   #10
corrado tdi

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

The timing belts are cut from a huge drum or tube of material and will often have tiny frayed fibers on their edges due to the toughness of the fibers. They don't cut as cleanly like the old lower mile belts. The belt pictured in the first post doesn't look old or damaged to me and I've handled quite a few belts. Sometimes digital pictures can be misleading though.

Knowing absolutely the procedure that was followed is more an accurate gauge of whether or not to change the belt. If you can verify that the parts were changed you can go back in there and set the cam, crank and pump to top dead center and reset the cam timing as per the "book". A complete, quality set of timing parts that are verified to have only 7000 miles on them would be a waste to throw away.

2015 Solar white MK7 Golf TDI 4 door with Sigma 6 shifter, MK7 Panzer skid plate, no dang sunroof

Last edited by corrado tdi; May 24th, 2010 at 11:06.
corrado tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:24   #11
migbro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado tdi
The timing belts are cut from a huge drum or tube of material and will often have tiny frayed fibers on their edges due to the toughness of the fibers. They don't cut as cleanly like the old lower mile belts.
Thanks, Jim, that's very helpful and I've learned something. The last Toyota TB that I installed had sharp, clean edges, so when I saw the fuzz on this belt I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. I'll probably hedge my bets and do the TB anyway, but maybe not right away.

This is one awesome community. I found TDIClub when I was considering buying this car and the wealth of knowledge here was an important factor in making the decision to buy. I feel like I know this car pretty well just from reading the many posts and how-tos here.

Intercooler, EGR and inlet manifold cleaning next.

Old May 24th, 2010, 11:30   #12
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

If you haven't already, change the fuel, oil and air at he same time, that way you have a baseline for you maintenance, and can keep it to a schedule of 4 oil changes for every 2 fuel filters and 1 air.

I have a clean ALH manifold available for trade when you decide to clean yours.

Jeremy
TDI service available - timing belts, clutch jobs, cv joint rebuilds, engine rebuilds, maintenance, low power diagnosis, suspension. DSG service $180 Have CAN VCDS for CR TDI's PM here, call or email JeremyTDI@yahoo.com (401)-919-0466 Quotes available, very fair rates
fase2000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:44   #13
truman
Veteran Member

That intake will look much nastier when you remove the egr.
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:54   #14
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fase2000TDI
I have a clean ALH manifold available for trade when you decide to clean yours.
How does that work? You simply clean them up and resend them out to the next guy? PM info.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:07   #15
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome
How does that work? You simply clean them up and resend them out to the next guy? PM info.
Pretty much. PM sent.
TDI service available - timing belts, clutch jobs, cv joint rebuilds, engine rebuilds, maintenance, low power diagnosis, suspension. DSG service $180 Have CAN VCDS for CR TDI's PM here, call or email JeremyTDI@yahoo.com (401)-919-0466 Quotes available, very fair rates
fase2000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote