dsg vs manual

DTGTDI

TDI
Ive had 4 manuals out of 6 cars and I never thought I would drive an automatic til I got my 2008 Accord V6. The sedan didn't come in manual so I got the auto........point is I was going to get the manual Golf TDI myself when it came down to it but the paddle shifters sold me and man am I happy I went with it. I guess if I want to be lazy then I just put in drive and go, but I usually keep it in sport and use the paddle shifters everywhere, just brings the excitement to the car.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hi DTGTDI, How did you get the chrome exhaust tips? It looks like they only come with the body ground effects package for the 2010 Golf TDI. I would like the tips on my TDI.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
psuclam said:
I will try to get to the point. I was hoping to get either Golf 4 door manual or Sportwagen(as 2nd choice) within the next month. The manuals are hard to come by and dealers are willing to deal a bit on dsg models. What's better about the dsg? Is it worth extra money, but better "deal"?
Thanks
I would only get a DSG if I had want/need and/or demand for it.

So for example (2009 Jetta DSG with 14000 miles and it has performed flawlessly) I have no want, need, but 3/4 drivers wanted an automatic. (DSG) The majority of the yearly mileage is spent in a rolling parking lot point a to point b work commute. I find in comparison on the road trips the DSG is in second place for a host of reasons, next to a 6 speed manual.

The DSG costs app 1,100 more and weighs 65#'s more than the 6 speed manual.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
lol that one week later and this thread is still going strong....

Here is the thing.. If someone told me I was required to buy an automatic shift car, I'd seek out the DSG hands down (no comparison to VWs tiptronic or standard automatic cars)...

BUT this debate comes down to cost and personal preference IMHO. Some people enjoy the car shifting faster than they can and want to focus on just the driving itself (nothing wrong with that) while others prefer the more interaction and ability to 'control the shift' is the bottom line.

I was and still am impressed by the DSG and don't fault anyone for jumping on it (especially if they are upgrading from a standard automatic/tiptronic).. plus it is a great option for people who still enjoy driving but hate standard automatic but health reasons prevent them from standard shifting (bad back, etc.)... And then there are those who just like the less shifting hassle in heavy traffic scenario..

Different strokes for different folks... Good thing we have options out there...

It's almost like trying to tell someone why they should or shouldn't have a sunroof in one respect (some love it and can't live with out it and others see it as useless and a problem waiting to happen when the car gets older).

When people ask me about the DSG, I tell them how impressed I was with it but it just wasn't for me.. if they ask more details.. I tell them my own personal reasons for the preference to shift plus the whole 'verdict still out' on long term maintenance/reliability.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
VW has done a fine job of civilizing the DSG since I first drove one 5 years ago. While my wife and I both prefer manual shift, we opted for the DSG this time due to pain in my knees when clutching. (Getting older sucks. Avoid it at all costs...)

I am very pleased with our DSG.

kzod

TDI
None (yet)
Just curious, as I'm considering a TDI for my next car. I've read some great stuff about the DSG transmission, but while looking at the VW.com site, it shows that the 0-60 km speed drops from 8.4 sec manual to a disappointing 9.5 seconds with a dsg. What's that about? I had previously read that you wouldn't lose any speed with the dsg, ditto for fuel economy. Can anyone clarify this?

homac

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
I cannot vouch for the DSG, I simply prefer manual transmissions. I really enjoy the manual on my Golf Wagon.

One reason I can see opting for a DSG is heavy city driving (crawling bumper to bumper).

ersatz2ersatz

TDI
2010 JSW
Yes the lurch is mildly annoying at first until you get used to driving the car. Solution since having had the JSW DSG for a few weeks now (still first fuel-up): switch to manual mode in certain scenarios - primarily, a stand still with uphill grade and impatient Manhattan drivers behind. And passing quickly while in 1st and 2nd gear "D." Will post if any maintenance issues come up.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
dieseldorf said:
I usually agree with you DD, but this single out-of-context opinion presented this way is misleading. As mentioned above, this opinion was not shared by the other reviewers of the same car.

Our '10 DSG is responsive under all conditions and I look forward to 'borrowing' the wagon whenever possible. This blurb indicates some sort of safety issue, which we have not experienced. It appears that there were issues with the '09 models that have been addressed in the recall/extended warranty and in the more recent builds.

Ray

Last edited:

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
raybo said:
Our '10 DSG is responsive under all conditions
+1. My '10 DSG is also performing flawlessly with no issues that the '09s seem to have experienced. Based on reading this forum, I was expecting shifting and lag issues and have experienced neither.

TDI-Shawn

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2010
Current thoughts after 1.5 months and 3200 miles:
- no regrets with going DSG, this is our commuter and 'utility' car and manual transmission doesn't go w/ that formula
- DSG in 'D' is very much optimized for maximum fuel economy and will do some "lurching" in my experience, especially up hills/slopes until you push the throttle and kick down a gear and/or actuate the turbo boost. I got rid of the Hankook tires (in a hurry), but yes, it would break traction when you would punch it out of lurch mode and then the powerful boost can sometimes kill the traction. This is especially the case if there was wetness on the pavement and you got the crappy Hankooks on your wheels.
- DSG in 'S' is quite smooth, especially once you train your foot to both the 'S' action and the TDI turbo boost. This is what I use in all non-highway situations now due to being in "break-in" mode and it is a very smooth and predictable action that rivals any other car I've driven. Then, there's the DSG personality of not being a typical automatic that delivers quick responsiveness like picking your own gears and applying power.

Once the engine/bits are broken-in, I anticipate still using 'S' often when going up hills, needing to accelerate quickly and such, but otherwise keeping it in 'D' for most occassions for easy cruising and maximum fuel economy. That's the plan.

We have not experienced any issues that would scare us or otherwise present a safety issue. All in all, we are happy with the DSG and would buy another DSG-equipped JSW. Especially given all of the posts I've read about long-time manual drivers saying they had big problems with stalling the car and such, let's be fair about the issues and what the TDI itself is bringing to the table. Manual + TDI apparently has a certain personality and, yes, DSG + TDI has a certain personality. That personality is just fine in my experience and am happy with it.

I'll update again in 3-5K miles if that changes or I have other thoughts.

Sankar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI / DSG
Over the past 30 years of owning cars, I have had manuals and automatics. The 09 JSW TDI has been my first DSG. I've put over 20k miles on it in mixed driving and quite frankly am glad I chose the DSG over the 6M (I test drove both). To me it provides the comfort of an automated shift system with the flexibility of switching into "manual" control - I agree that one could argue that the Tiptronic is not like a real manual, but I like it more actually.

I think of the DSG as a manual tranny mated with a complex algorithm to do the shifting. Since the shift pattern etc. is controlled by software, it cannot be expected to shift in exactly the same way that I (or for that matter any other driver) would. However, that by itself does not make it (IMO) any "better" or "worse" - just "different".

When I first got the car, I tended to drive it like any other automatic transmission but over time I've "learnt" how the transmission shifts/reacts in response to my foot pressure on the throttle, car speed, load, etc. I have instinctively adapted my style to the heuristics built into the software and find that I have all the necessary control required to shift as I want - I don't even think about it now. I just reach over with my hand to switch between D, S and +/-, and my foot on the throttle works in tandem. The absence of a clutch pedal just means that I do not need to use my left leg. When I first drove the DSG, I could never have guessed that I would need to adapt my driving ... but now it feels natural to me ... and it all happened within the first couple of thousand miles or so without my having to consciously think about it - as the operator of a complex piece of machinery, I have just adapted my style over time.

The DSG is a complex piece of machinery and in my opinion to get maximum benefit/fun out of it, you need to learn how to work it. This explains why I thought it was just a ho-hum thing at the start (but I still chose it for other reasons) and possibly why some who drive it for the first time are not impressed. For one it cannot be compared to a standard "automatic" since it is intrinsically has manual gears which feel quite different from a fluid coupled automatic - that may put off those expecting the "smooth" (and for many of us, "lifeless") feel that the standard automatic offers. Second it has its own idiosyncrasies in its shift pattern and this can be irritating to those used to full control on the shift pattern. Drive it like you would an automatic (i.e. without "thinking") and at times you may feel like you are sitting in a manual transmission car driven by someone who does not know how to shift well - it can be made to shift in a "jerky" manner.
However, spend some effort learning how it reacts and adapting yourself to it and it can offer (IMO) the best of both worlds - the comfort of an automatic and the fun/control of a manual. At least it does for me.

The cost issue is a very different matter and opinions can be even more subjective. For me it was obviously worth it to get the DSG inspite of the cost differentials I had projected. For some it may not.

TDI-Shawn

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2010
Really well stated, Sankar. Your impressions and experiences with the system closely match mine. The DSG isn't your typical turn the key and drive automatic and needs to be learned and understood to be driven well --- just like a manual.

BlueflameSP

TDI
1999 New Beetle 5-Speed
1200 miles into my 2010 manual 6spd

I just completed the first 1200 miles on my 2010 Jetta TDi with the manual transmission, For me it is perfect, the new gearing for 2010 on the manual transmission is perfect for my commute which is about 85% freeway and 2 lane roads.
Last night with a light foot I managed to cover 60 miles in 1 hour and 5 minutes and made 52.4 mpg per the trip computer. Tonight I got caught in stop and go traffic for about 2 miles, still managed 49.5.
I am really looking forward to what this car is capable of when the motor breaks in and the temps warm up. (I live in Minnesota.) After driving by 05 Passat TDI for 3 years (automatic) I am really enjoying being back to a manual transmission.