EGT values?

droptail

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 bug
I believe monitoring the EGT would be a good way to protect an engine from breaking if I were to mod it.

I want to start with the evry mod and want to know what EGT values are considered normal/stock and what are considered too high/dangerous?

Thanks

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Keep it under 1600F between the engine and turbo and you'll be fine.

Not sure what a stock ALH TDI will generate for max EGT's, but it'll be under 1600F

Normal driving around should see 400-800F with 1000F or so on hills or accelerating.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
is there any way this can be monitored with a scanguage 2 using x-guage ?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Turbospool said:
is there any way this can be monitored with a scanguage 2 using x-guage ?
Nope :( It'd be purdy sweet if you could avoid the extra $100-$200 gage, but the ecu (on pre 09's at least) doesn't see EGT's so it can't pass to SGII.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Keep it under 1600F between the engine and turbo and you'll be fine.

Not sure what a stock ALH TDI will generate for max EGT's, but it'll be under 1600F

Normal driving around should see 400-800F with 1000F or so on hills or accelerating.
I got reports after tuned temp max ever seen was 1000f driving over 100mph, don't know stock what it would be

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
F1 tuning said:
I got reports after tuned temp max ever seen was 1000f driving over 100mph, don't know stock what it would be
Wow. You release engine tunes for more HP with absolutely NO idea what kind of EGTs the engine is running? :rolleyes:

Furthermore I have to call B.S. on your tuning report. Stock ALHs can hit over 1000 F ....

Lots of folks live by the under 1600 F = safe rule on this site. Still makes me a little nervous to cross 1500, but people do get away with it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I believe it's 900C (1650*F) for a Garrett VNT turbo, 1900*F for the PD turbos.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
F1 tuning said:
Ok?

Do you have any details of this vehicle?

Make, Model, Year, Modifications, location of the EGT probe, etc?

Having driven a stock ALH with a post turbo EGT gauge, I could see maybe where someone might come up with a number of 1000F post turbo with advanced timing and higher boost/mass air flow, stock nozzles, etc, but even then, those temps sound suspiciously low and Pre-turbine is the most revelant temp number with a variable goemetry exhaust turbine.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
droptail said:
Stock/safe pre-turbo ALH (max) figures are what I am most interested in.

Thanks
As quoted above, 1650º F is max for the ALH/VNT-15.

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
i thought 1st and 2nd gen of garret turbos holds up to 1500F (~800C) and 3rd gen (gtb) holds up 1650F(900C).I have tested gtb 2260vk, preturbo probe, up to 850C and not a problem.

droptail

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 bug
OK, concensus is normal operating temp (pre-turbo) = 500 - 1000F, with a max temp of 1650F.

Any idea what the allowable time would be at the max temp rating?
Perhaps immediately pull out some fuel if temp hits 1600F?
Any idea what the response time would be to turning the evry mod off?.

Thanks

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Most people just use their foot to regulate EGT's... I ran a VNT-15 over 140k w/lots of stages of mods including a VanAaken box and never had an EGT gauge. I had many 5th gear top speed runs and never blew it up @ 18.5 PSI. Now that I have a gauge, I think I was lucky.

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Im570rm,

Our VNT-15s are GT1749V turbos.
Yes i know,that's the first generation :gt0000 is the first ,gta0000 second and gtb0000 3rd.Also there is a 4th generation yet to come named gtc,for example the new 1.6 tdi engine haves GTC1244VZ .

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
My GT2260V (not GTB) Has been up to 900deg.C hundreds of times. Measured with an Autometer gauge.
The turbo and engine goes strong, around 40.000kms with this tuning now. Used as a daily driver this winter, It is a little funnier than my Polo in snow :)

Last edited:

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 Golf 1.9 110 (originally)
I was actually wondering what safe EGT's are for our turbos before this thread popped up for a couple of reasons,
A:- I run a reasonably heavy modded engine and cant afford another if I kill it and
B:- I was browsing google looking at "homemade jet engine" and watching the "You Tube" videos of what can be done with a turbo, (have a look).
It certainly makes you realise that EGT's are very important
From what I could see some were VNT turbos being abused, poor things.
I will be giving a deal of thought now to installing a gauge, I think it's worth it, for the few pounds outlay against the cost of another hybrid should it go pop.

Just a thought!!

droptail

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 bug
Does my application have a MAP sensor and or TPS?
The service manual is with my girlfriend.
Or should I post this in its own thread?

Thanks

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
to be on the safe side,ussually smoke screen gives high egt numbers.no smoke no high egt!

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 Golf 1.9 110 (originally)
droptail said:
Isn't smoke incomplete combustion due to excess fuel?
Yes, black smoke=overfuelling/low air volume. I couldn't see it raising or having effect on EGT's other than lowering them as it's unburnt fuel.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
droptail said:
OK, concensus is normal operating temp (pre-turbo) = 500 - 1000F, with a max temp of 1650F.

Any idea what the allowable time would be at the max temp rating?
Perhaps immediately pull out some fuel if temp hits 1600F?
Any idea what the response time would be to turning the evry mod off?.

Thanks
Allowable time is quoted as continuious at those temperatures. My guess is that you can go toward 1800F for a few seconds if you "need" to, but I wouldn't spend any significant time there and do so at your own risk.

I've held mine at 1600 for ~45 seconds at 2000 RPM (3400lb trailer up a 6% grade) before I finally dropped it down to 4th as it was creaping up on 1650F.

EGT's will drop as soon as you remove fuel - immedately - do not shut the engine off to do this.

If you let off the throttle they'll drop a few hundred degrees by the time you downshift and get back on the throttle, I imagine that turning the evry mod off will have a similar instant effect.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
I understand how you feel that its a totally irrelevant question but at what temperature does aluminum pistons or aluminum cylinder heads melt?

droptail

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 bug
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Allowable time is quoted as continuious at those temperatures. My guess is that you can go toward 1800F for a few seconds if you "need" to, but I wouldn't spend any significant time there and do so at your own risk.

I've held mine at 1600 for ~45 seconds at 2000 RPM (3400lb trailer up a 6% grade) before I finally dropped it down to 4th as it was creaping up on 1650F.

EGT's will drop as soon as you remove fuel - immedately - do not shut the engine off to do this.

If you let off the throttle they'll drop a few hundred degrees by the time you downshift and get back on the throttle, I imagine that turning the evry mod off will have a similar instant effect.
Very good info. Thanks

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
2005 pd, 17/22
no cat/muffler
60+deg F
110mph (not running too hard to get there) but sustained 1000-1100 deg F
slight grade to highway(and that would be uphill)
now running 24psi(was running 22)
no manual boost controller (no need, it holds very well except when cold should not pound on a cold car anyway)
EGT pre turbo drilled and tapped myself got idea from Kerma's location (good idea Mr. Kerma).

I know it was cool temp wise, so that def. had an affect. I run this stretch of road twice a day, 5 days a week and in the summer at 75-85F. EGT is usually 200-300F higher. 200-300F is stretching it on the high side!

And folks my car is no slouch! We also have a 99 with many mods, no fmic and tuning that is not ours, don't ask! It will pull on mine slightly in all gears but nothing extremely exciting for the amount invested. EGTs are considerably higher, 300-500F higher side by side. Really makes no difference they are two totally different cars. His car is quite smooth but smokey! We did make him another chip and by the seat of his pants it pulls harder in some areas. He says the power is different,more linear, but no smokey! We have not dynoed to confirm this (SUPRISE). Funny, he likes the other chips better, they smoke more. And yes, he knows very well of the complications of this!

Fix_Until_Broke said:
Ok?

Having driven a stock ALH with a post turbo EGT gauge, I could see maybe where someone might come up with a number of 1000F post turbo with advanced timing and higher boost/mass air flow, stock nozzles, etc, but even then, those temps sound suspiciously low and Pre-turbine is the most revelant temp number with a variable goemetry exhaust turbine.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
pyankura said:
2005 pd, 17/22
no cat/muffler
60+deg F
110mph (not running too hard to get there) but sustained 1000-1100 deg F
slight grade to highway(and that would be uphill)
now running 24psi(was running 22)
no manual boost controller (no need, it holds very well except when cold should not pound on a cold car anyway)
EGT pre turbo drilled and tapped myself got idea from Kerma's location (good idea Mr. Kerma).

I know it was cool temp wise, so that def. had an affect. I run this stretch of road twice a day, 5 days a week and in the summer at 75-85F. EGT is usually 200-300F higher. 200-300F is stretching it on the high side!

And folks my car is no slouch! We also have a 99 with many mods, no fmic and tuning that is not ours, don't ask! It will pull on mine slightly in all gears but nothing extremely exciting for the amount invested. EGTs are considerably higher, 300-500F higher side by side. Really makes no difference they are two totally different cars. His car is quite smooth but smokey! We did make him another chip and by the seat of his pants it pulls harder in some areas. He says the power is different,more linear, but no smokey! We have not dynoed to confirm this (SUPRISE). Funny, he likes the other chips better, they smoke more. And yes, he knows very well of the complications of this!
I'm sure you can cruise at 110 at 1100 degF but how high would your EGT's get if you started from a stop and WOT'd it through the gears up to 110? ;) I know my car would be at the EGT limit more than likely but I'm fine with that as I don't really have a need to go faster than that :)

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Ditto, that EGT reading is meaningless. The only time we care is under wide open throttle! You know, as in, when it's the hottest.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
shizzler said:
Wow. You release engine tunes for more HP with absolutely NO idea what kind of EGTs the engine is running? :rolleyes:

Furthermore I have to call B.S. on your tuning report. Stock ALHs can hit over 1000 F ....

Lots of folks live by the under 1600 F = safe rule on this site. Still makes me a little nervous to cross 1500, but people do get away with it.
Hey ****tler, you mouth is big then you a$$
I have re-tuned cars for high EGT temp and other issue from TDI member afte they got the tune done and got a kik on the A$$ and never returned calls and ignore the issue, so aftrer all no issue and not hot turbo anymore beside no smoke and very drivable, so were the BS are ????

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Ok?

that's good question, and one of those was TDI member here tha had issue for over 2 years posting the issue and the tuner totally ignore the problem,send me PM i give the info so you would be able to ask directly, then post here.
i do know with the old tune the gauge went to 800c +, after i re-tuned never went past 550c so far
i know there is many cars here with the same issue and the only resolution is tuning, yes because the problem causing this is "tuning"