2010 Jetta TDI

jtdmc

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Just out of curiosity...

What has been VWoA take on all of this. Have they offered anything to the owners that have experienced these chronic problems? I imagine that if the problem continnues that many owners (myself included) will aggressively pursue the lemon law. I called them today and asked them if they had started any campaigns yet, and they state thier have been no chronic problems reported on the 2010. The woman kept reassuring me what a phenominal car the vehicle was, and I agree, but that won't satisfy me if my car spends more time in the shop than driving.

I am so sorry for all of you that seem to continue with these unremedied problems. I only have 600 miles on the car, and it is in the shop, but luckily not for engine work... yet... :D

Treesnake

Veteran Member
jtdmc said:
What has been VWoA take on all of this. Have they offered anything to the owners that have experienced these chronic problems? I imagine that if the problem continnues that many owners (myself included) will aggressively pursue the lemon law. I called them today and asked them if they had started any campaigns yet, and they state thier have been no chronic problems reported on the 2010. The woman kept reassuring me what a phenominal car the vehicle was, and I agree, but that won't satisfy me if my car spends more time in the shop than driving.
I still haven't called customer service, myself; I'm waiting to see what the dealer's latest diagnosis is after talking to the TechLine. But a couple of other folks in this thread have:

vwtdinewbie said:
well, mine is still in the shop too, now there is a new problem with the EGR, and they are ordering a whole new part.... turns out VW is stepping in now and offering me a new vehicle... of course now I'm trying to figure out if this will be a problem with every 2010 jetta tdi, or if it is just mine and the other poster... any thoughts?:confused:
soot1 said:
I called customer care immediately after I took my car to the dealer for diagnosis, and the girl who answered the phone told me she would elevate my concerns to the attention of her management. On a day I told her I would be home, somebody from Customer Care called, and left me their name and phone number. The name of the dude who called was Jesse Staton, his phone number is 800-822-8987 (not his direct phone line, you will have to ask for him), and his mailing address is 3499 West Hamlin, Rochester Hills, MI 48309. When I called him back, I told him I would summarize my questions and his answers, and send him a registered letter. I suggest you do the same, that way they have no way of denying what was said, and there is a paper trail, which always helps should push come to shove. Make sure you have detailed records from the dealer who performed the repairs as to what the defect was when you brought it in, what fault codes they found, and what work they performed to fix the defect. Also make sure that when you bring the vehicle for service the next time, the description of the defect is exactly identical to what it was the first time around (check engine light on), because that is the requirement of the lemon law. I am repeating myself here, but they have four shots at fixing the defect, provided it is the same defect every time you bring it in.
Oh, but I did do some research on lemon law in Pennsylvania (where I bought the car). I really, really just want them to fix the problem, but I think soot's advice on how to be prepared for the worst is good advice.

Last edited:

1953randy

TDI
2010 jsw--turned in 1-17--now 2017 Passat SE w/Tech
Picked up my jsw today after 2nd time in shop within a week. Was told there were a couple loose exhaust clamps around the cat. Drove it 2 miles to work,and this afternoon dealer called me and said the higher-ups at techline wanted the car back for more testing----"it might take a few days to test all they want us to do" is what i was told. Not real happy at all,but if this is what it takes,then get it done!!!

Diesel Nut 247

TDI
2002 Jetta
alreadyBenBrott said:
I am dealing with Kings VW Loveland in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The woman in the service department is VERY nice and helpful! Now let's just hope they are good at fixing cars.
They are descent for a dealer.

They used to be Century VW before being bought out.

Diesel Nut 247

TDI
2002 Jetta
TomB said:
Absolutely wrong! If you don't want these devices buy a car that does not have them.

Don't blame the technology because VW did a bad job of implementing it or tried to do it on the cheap.

Stop trying to circumvent the requirements that protect ALL of US from the damaging pollutant generated by fossil fuels and especially the ultra fine particles that diesel produces that does DEEP lung tissue damage.

Keep the emission controls on. THEY WORK!!! It has been proven in especially California. This is the way it is now so stop this nostalgic belief that you will ever be able to go back to unregulated, unlimited emissions. Removing them not only voids the warranty but is also a federal and state crime.

Those days of unfettered pollution for your ego are HISTORY and that is a GOOD thing.
They don't work. Never have never will.

You mean the Communist state of California. That crap lessens fuel economy and increases pollutens.

Also,warming has been happening since the ice age. :rolleyes:

Havokk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Ryanr912 said:
I hope you're not going to Fiore VW in Warwick. They are completely clueless when it comes to their service department and worst of all, will lie right to your face. They have no idea how to properly work on TDI's. (You can PM me if you want all the dirty details)

It has become a personal mission of mine to warn everyone of their incompetence and dishonesty. They will never see another dime from me and certainly will never touch my car again.

Im always late to the good threads, and i must say i 100% agree with this. They are the most ass backwards wrenching morons i have ever met. They lie, cheat and worst of all they are obnoxious when confronted. In the end when proven wrong they just sit/stand and just stare at you. I truely belive they hire the mentaly handycapped. The managers are the worse as they have something to prove when ever they are called out. They have never touched my car as i know how rediculiously incompetent they are but sadly my mother takes her 2003 passate (gasser) and they manage to screw up a simple recall repair of the brake light switch and passanger seat heater switch. Car wouldnt start after they screwed up the brake switch and tried to charge my mother a diagnosis fee to figure out why. i go down and ask "What happen? it was doing fine Before it got there"? They reply "cars break anywhere and any time and to figure out why were going to charge you" etc etc. I tell them to check the brake switch to make sure thier lackies hooked it up after they put it in.

Sure enough it wasnt hooked up, and after it started right up. No appolgy, just a recipte saying job complelted. Needless to say i take care of her car now.

NEVER EVER EVER go to this place as they will not only screw you financially but will no doubt butcher a TDI since they cant handle a simple switch replacement.

-2 cents of hate

ytdi

TDI
none
Treesnake said:
I'm sorry, but your advice in this thread has been consistently unhelpful. If people don't take their cars to the dealer, the dealers and VW will not know that there is a problem to fix. And, quite frankly, I'd rather drive around in a loaner than wondering whether I am damaging my new car by driving around when there is an emissions-related CEL on.
I totally agree with your comment. Why would anyone want to "wait until a solution is found" and not take their car to the VW dealer when they have a problem makes no sense to me. VW needs to know that there is a problem and must correct it ASAP.

1953randy

TDI
Got a call from dealer yesterday concerning extra testing they wanted to do--they are going to change both o2 sensors and a "high pressure return line". This was per the tech dept. Bad news is that parts might take "a few days to get here,maybe a week" they do not want me to drive the car till this is done. I get a loaner car,but the last time it was a Toyota Yaris---what a piece of crap!!!!will stop by this morning to get loaner, hope to get something better this time. Can't wait to get these minor bugs worked out on the jsw I know I will enjoy driving.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
1953randy said:
Got a call from dealer yesterday concerning extra testing they wanted to do--they are going to change both o2 sensors and a "high pressure return line". This was per the tech dept. Bad news is that parts might take "a few days to get here,maybe a week" they do not want me to drive the car till this is done. I get a loaner car,but the last time it was a Toyota Yaris---what a piece of crap!!!!will stop by this morning to get loaner, hope to get something better this time. Can't wait to get these minor bugs worked out on the jsw I know I will enjoy driving.
I had a voicemail from my dealer saying that they had been instructed to replace some 02 sensor-related parts---and that some of those parts may take a while to arrive. I'll call them to get the details on exactly what parts they're talking about, but let's hope that VW is telling dealers the same thing.... (And let's hope that it works!)

SummiTDI

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Not to bring this thread back alive but,

Has anyone found a solution to the exhaust problems, I just read in the myturbodiesel fourm that a mech. in IL said he was informed that the fix to the problem was to weld the exhaust flang. Anyone else hear of this?

HEV

TDI
2010 JSW, Candy White, DSG
Well. CEL light is on again. Doesn't look like the EGR gasket and return valve was the culprit. The sled is going back to the dealer next monday. I'll keep everybody posted.

1953randy

TDI
Picked mine up from dealer on Wed. morning. They relaced two O2 sensors, part# 03l906262 B and C---also replaced valve #03l-130-235 the valve tested to low on pressure,only read at 8 should have been between 10-12. shop put 75 miles on it after repair,and we have put 50 miles on it driving home. so far it is ok, but i won't feel confident with it till it has a bunch of miles on it.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
Got mine back on Wednesday. This was the second time the CEL came on. The first time, they replaced a gasket. This time, they replaced two gaskets (069-131-547-D) and the exhaust system return pipe (03L-130-235-K).

Edit: they drove the car 30 miles to "adapt computer monitors and oxygen sensors."

I guess this is the same as what was done---and didn't work!---for HEV recently. Next time will be the 02 sensors, I guess.

Oh, and I think my build date was 9/11/09 (little handwritten sticker on the driver's side firewall, right?), and my engine build date 7/13/09.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
SummiTDI said:
Has anyone found a solution to the exhaust problems, I just read in the myturbodiesel fourm that a mech. in IL said he was informed that the fix to the problem was to weld the exhaust flang. Anyone else hear of this?
Hey, I'm having trouble finding this; could you post a link, please? Thanks!

I also saw that someone on the MyTurboDiesel forum also mentioned that there might be a Technical Service Bulletin about this issue; anyone know anything about that?

HEV

TDI
1953randy said:
Picked mine up from dealer on Wed. morning. They relaced two O2 sensors, part# 03l906262 B and C---also replaced valve #03l-130-235 the valve tested to low on pressure,only read at 8 should have been between 10-12. shop put 75 miles on it after repair,and we have put 50 miles on it driving home. so far it is ok, but i won't feel confident with it till it has a bunch of miles on it.
Sounds like mine. Didn't affect the CEL, however. I sure hope they get this sorted out.

HEV

TDI
HEV said:
Well. CEL light is on again. Doesn't look like the EGR gasket and return valve was the culprit. The sled is going back to the dealer next monday. I'll keep everybody posted.
Update: Now they are going to change the oxygen sensors :rolleyes:. I'll post the part numbers when I get the car back. Has anybody gotten a resolution to this issue??? I fully expect I'll be back in a couple weeks for the same 00315 CEL fault code.....again.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
HEV said:
Update: Now they are going to change the oxygen sensors :rolleyes:. I'll post the part numbers when I get the car back. Has anybody gotten a resolution to this issue??? I fully expect I'll be back in a couple weeks for the same 00315 CEL fault code.....again.
I guess this is what I have to look forward to next! Good luck!

1953randy

TDI
Got our car back last Wed. from dealer. They "checked fuel return pressure at injectors-had 6.1 bar,should read at least 10" tech line advised to replace fuel return retension valve and both 02 sensors. part # 03l-130-235-K pipe, 1k0-998-262-ad oxy sen kt, 03l-906-262-c oxygen sensor. So far all is well--have put about 700 miles on car since we picked it up. am keeping fingers crossed for a while---keep expecting to look down and see that light on again,but, so far-----hope this helps.

'10 JSW TDI

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
I just created a post about my issue and was informed of this thread. See below for a description of the issues I have been having:

[QUOTE='10 JSW TDI]I just purchased a 2010 JSW. I picked it up in Charlotte, NC and drove it back to Charleston, SC. About 30 miles from Charleston my CEL came on. I took it into my local dealer and they said my gas cap must have been loose because of a "gross evap leak". I know it wasn't loose but they wouldn't offer any other explanation and said I was good to go. The next day on my way home from work (36 miles each way) the light came back on. I called my dealer in Charlotte and they said there was a separate fuel cap indicator and to return and demand full diagnostics.

I did this and the tech said that there was an emissions leak due to some gasket that VW didn't design properly for the new 2010 models because the emissions is so much tighter. At the time he said some gaskets would have to be replaced and ordered from Germany. When he called today he left a message saying my 'new cats' were in and to come monday to have them replaced.

Does anybody know anything about this issue? The local VW said this affects about 80 out of around 2000 TDI JSWs and referenced VW corporate as their source. I ran a search but I didn't find anything on this, although I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for.[/QUOTE]

So my understanding now is that this is the EGR gasket. I will be interested to talk with them on Monday as his message clearly indicated that they would be replacing the cats.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
[quote='10 JSW TDI]I just created a post about my issue and was informed of this thread. See below for a description of the issues I have been having:

So my understanding now is that this is the EGR gasket. I will be interested to talk with them on Monday as his message clearly indicated that they would be replacing the cats.[/quote]

Yeah, JUST replacing the gasket doesn't seem to have worked for anyone who has posted about this.

That "80 out of 2000" statistic is interesting; at least it means VW corporate is aware that it is a reasonably widespread issue, but it sounds like a recall is out of the question.

Frankly, the big problem is that they're still not sure how to fix it!

1953randy

TDI
I'm going to knock on wood here--it seems to me that the last repair that was done on my jsw has done the trick. Has been over 1200 miles since I picked it up from dealer,and so far all is good. Fuel milage is a bit lower lately,but that could be due to higher wind,cold,and probably blended fuel. Time will tell---

HEV

TDI
HEV said:
Update:

The dealer replaced the two O2 sensors. Part numbers are:

1K0-998-262-AD
1K0-998-262-AE

So, now I've had the EGR gasked and return valve replaced in addition to these 02 sensors. Hopefully this will stop the 00315 fault. It seems to take about 350 miles for the CEL to come on. Right now I'm only 200 miles into that range. I'll keep everybody posted.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
Mine's back in the shop. This is the third time the CEL came on. The first time they replaced the EGR gasket; the second time the gasket and the return pipe.

This time, I expect it will be the O2 sensors, and I sincerely hope that does the trick.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
These identical engines were relatively trouble-free last year, I wonder what changed. I suspect the dealers are just throwing parts at the problem, because almost certainly there is only one flawed part that's causing the CEL. I just don't understand why the engineers haven't 1) figured out which part is bad, and 2) communicated this to the dealerships.

HEV

TDI
Treesnake. Looks like you and I are having the exact same stuff done. So far my CEL is still off. Crossing fingers.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
TornadoRed said:
These identical engines were relatively trouble-free last year, I wonder what changed. I suspect the dealers are just throwing parts at the problem, because almost certainly there is only one flawed part that's causing the CEL. I just don't understand why the engineers haven't 1) figured out which part is bad, and 2) communicated this to the dealerships.
Agreed. At the very least, though (assuming '10 JSW TDI's dealer was telling him/her the truth), VW has determined that it is occurring in a minority (80 of 2000) of the cars; maybe that will help the engineers track down the problem. It is definitely frustrating, though.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
HEV said:
Update:

The dealer replaced the two O2 sensors. Part numbers are:

1K0-998-262-AD
1K0-998-262-AE

So, now I've had the EGR gasked and return valve replaced in addition to these 02 sensors. Hopefully this will stop the 00315 fault. It seems to take about 350 miles for the CEL to come on. Right now I'm only 200 miles into that range. I'll keep everybody posted.
If you're going about 350 miles and then the CEL light comes on makes me wonder if it's a regen that's triggering the problem.