www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 29th, 2001, 20:18   #1
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Default 1400 miles (2254 km.) on 1 tank!!

Impossible? Not with a Passat wagon.

If you look at the trip odometer reading, it doesn't look very impressive...but the MFA trip computer reading on the left tells the whole story.

1407 miles (2265 km.)
24.19 gal. (91.57 l.)
58.2 MPG

I took a 1000 mile business trip and thought I would try to better my previous records for mileage and cruise distance (49.5 MPG, 1206 miles). I upped tire pressure to 44 PSI, chose a route that I thought would be the flattest (turns out it wasn't the best choice), and slowed down a bit. The results, according to my MFA, were so encouraging that it made a perfect excuse to take another 300 mile trip (thinking that would be as far as the car could go...wrong!).

Since I had a useable 1/2 gallon left at the end, I think that once I install my Upsolute chip and larger diameter tires, and choose a flatter route, I should be able to go 1500 miles (though I'm in no hurry to do this any time soon).

The Passat wagons can't compete with the 5-speed A4s (nor some of the Passat sedans on the Forum) in terms of real world MPG, but their big tanks have certain advantages. I think I have really earned my "Fahrfrumpumpen" sticker!

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2001, 08:59   #2
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Default Re: 1400 miles (2254 km.) on 1 tank!!

The only way I could get the mileage up above 50 on this car was to slow down to below the speed limit. I think the wagons are somewhat less aerodynamic than the sedans (as well as slightly heavier)...speed really makes a difference in mileage on this car.
Old July 31st, 2001, 10:30   #3
golfstream
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55, 49, 45

"Unleaded Fuel Only," huh? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
golfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2001, 10:36   #4
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mel Knott:
"Unleaded Fuel Only," huh? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's why

Last edited by Chris Bell; July 15th, 2007 at 22:05.
Old July 31st, 2001, 13:24   #5
Dubbs
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39,45.6,49

Chris , those numbers are great. I love the range on our sedan. All though I don't have quite the range that you have, it is still pretty good.
I love that MFA on your wagon. Hopefully if I find a wrecked GLX around here I might try the conversion.
Dan
Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2001, 13:39   #6
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Chris, that's cool! Certainly worthy of a spot in the Guiness Book of World Records.

I don't think too many other cars can do that let alone half that range!!

Tom
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2001, 09:58   #7
GANZGUT
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Bell:
I think the wagons are somewhat less aerodynamic than the sedans (as well as slightly heavier)...speed really makes a difference in mileage on this car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No question speed affects milage. I notice this with my Passat sedan- above 70, the fuel really goes down big time. Drive it more conservatively, 60-65, and I usually pick up 3-4 miles per gallon.

I'll post some real world Passat numbers on fuel economy from my 2000+ mile trip to Montana and back soon.

Nice MFA, BTW.
GANZGUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2002, 00:53   #8
TDIBill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55, 45, 40

That makes the 1000.3 miles I got a while ago in my sedan pale by comparison....... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
TDIBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2002, 18:16   #9
Andrew G.

Funny how you could be driving a Passat TDI - with a "Unleaded Fuel Only" warning on the dash...

Don't worry I "believe" you though...
Andrew G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2002, 19:30   #10
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew G.:
Funny how you could be driving a Passat TDI - with a "Unleaded Fuel Only" warning on the dash...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah yes, but if you looked really closely, you'd also notice the glow plug indicator light in the right hand bank of LEDs and non-stock tachometer markings with a 4700 RPM redline (not visible in this picture). How can that be, you ask? The answer, as previously posted, is that this car has a hybrid instrument cluster (part GLX, part TDI). The details are in my article on doing a B4 MFA conversion (which has a better picture of the tach).

By the way, TDIBill, sorry to hear about your car.
If it isn't recovered, maybe that will just mean you are destined for an even nicer sedan or wagon that Leonard will find for you!

[ April 30, 2002, 19:48: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]

Last edited by Chris Bell; July 24th, 2007 at 12:17.
Old May 1st, 2002, 20:52   #11
hamilgs
Veteran Member

Chris: I've the same car types as you! Several questions please:

1. I've been afraid to run the tank too low, and so I've only been 1050 miles or so on about 25 US gallons. What trouble will I get into if I run it till it stumbles? I could keep a small can of diesel I have in the back. I've always been told, and tell my spouse & #1 daughter "don't run it dry!"

2. The pix indicates that you have a steering wheel cover installed. Whom did you get it from, and how pleased are you with it?

3. What larger diameter tires are you considering? Are you planning to keep the stock 14" rims? I've considered going to a 195/70 or 75 series tires, and wondered about wheel well clearance.
hamilgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:20   #12
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Hamlings, I don't recommend running it till it stumbles. I did it once by accident, and shut it down immediately, but did have a container of diesel on hand to fill up the fuel filter before restarting. But at least I now know the "effective" tank capacity.

The steering wheel cover is by Wheelskins (widely available...I got mine from a local auto parts store), and I love it. The wheel is now just the right thickness and the feel of leather rather than plastic is sublime. Other than the MFA, its the most satisfying improvement I've made to the car.

I have 195/65-15s (about 7% larger OD than stock) on the '97 sedan without clearance problems.
Old May 2nd, 2002, 16:25   #13
Rodg Petersen
Veteran Member

OK OK I'll bite. I just bought a '96 from Leonard, great car, and I thought they had an 18.5 gallon tank. what's with 25 gallons??
Sounds just right to me though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rodg
Rodg Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 17:07   #14
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Both sedans and wagons are officially listed as having 18.5 gal. tank, but the wagons have a larger overflow tank than the sedans, so that when you fill up using the "vent trick", the sedans will hold about 20.5 gals and the wagons about 25 gals.
Old March 27th, 2003, 14:46   #15
octafish

Default 1400 miles (2254 km.) on 1 tank!!

was that using unleaded diesel?
octafish is offline   Reply With Quote