www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 24th, 2009, 14:59   #1
ibnzbass

Default A4 Jetta engine will not shut off

Hi, I have a 2005 A4 Jetta tdi with 71K, and recently had the ac quit so I replaced the fan control module, and this fixed the ac, but since then the car will not shut off when I turn the switch and remove the key. The only way to stop the engine that I have found is to remove fuse #5, which according to my research on tdiclub, controls the ac, comfort controls, and steering wheel module.

When the key is shut off all of the electronics in the car shut off with the key, but the engine keeps running. I have already replaced the switch, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
ibnzbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 16:27   #2
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Did you replace the fan module yourself? Have you backtracked to verify the work?
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 18:13   #3
DanG144
Veteran Member

You might have a faulty FCM, or faulty wiring to it.

Could it be that there is a short that is passing current from pin 9 (fuse 5 from fan and AC selector)to pin 4 (fuse 16 and ignition) of the 14 pin FCM connector? or wiring?

Question. Does the car turn off normally when the AC button is not selected or the cabin fan speed is set to OFF.

Dan
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 17:16   #4
ibnzbass

Hey, sorry for the late response, I just moved to Tampa for college and have been very busy. I did not replace the FCM myself, but a friend replaced it with a $50 new FCM that he had found online.

Dan, that sounds like it would make sense for the cause of the short, where as I have noticed that when the car is off, the recirculation light will stay lit even when fuse #5 is removed? I also have seen that the lights on the multifunction steering wheel remain dimly lit with the recirculation light?

The car will intermittently shut off normally when the fuse is still inserted, but I have tried everything when the car will remain running with the only answer being to remove fuse #5.

I will check to see if there is any obvious wire damage close to the FCM connector.

Thank you very much for the help.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:37   #5
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Default Won't shut off

Hey, you have Keith Scarbrough a TDI guru located in Tampa! Why don't you give him a call?
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 14:28   #6
ibnzbass

I have talked to Keith once when I was still in Pinellas county, and he was more than willing to help me with the problem. I will probably be going to see him sometime soon for the airbag light that had come on.

I believe that the problem with my car is due to the cheap FCM that I had purchased when I replaced it a few weeks ago. Prior to replacing the FCM the car would turn on and off normally, but after replacing with the $50 new Chinese FCM(Junk) the problems started.

Dieseld was having the same exact problems in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256641
Old September 3rd, 2009, 20:38   #7
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Sounds like General Tsao's revenge. You may have to get an OEM FCM.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:50   #8
DanG144
Veteran Member

Could you post the source for your poor quality cheap FCM?

I have heard of plenty of guys getting good Polish ones for $50 off of the internet. They were pleased with the product.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:51   #9
ibnzbass

I can not recall the website where I bought the module, but I will ask my buddy that referred me to it.

I did look on my credit card statement though and the payment went to Auto Tech USA in Florida and their phone number: 954-321-6898

I will be giving them a call on Monday to try and get a return on the defective part.