A3 Leak below tranny

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Hello everyone,

I noticed some oil that appears to be coming from the VW stamp with two bolts below the tranny. There is a picture of what I am referring to in this thread:http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/mantrans_oilservice.htm

Has anyone had this happen before? Is there a gasket behind that plate after you take the bolts off?

I think it must be gear oil. So I think the correct procedure is:
1. Remove gear oil fill plug
2. Remove drain plug and drain gear oil
3. Remove two bolts holding VW stamped plate
4. Replace gasket (is there one in there? Part #?)
5. Replace drain plug (20-23 ft lbs)
6. Replace two bolts and VW stamped plate (tourque?)
7. Fill with MTL (have been running this for at least 3 years now and like it)
8. Replace gear oil fill plug (20-23 ft lbs)

As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
An update: I called the parts department at the dealership and they cannot find the part. They say it may be a "non-serviceable" item. The gasket looks white in color. The Bentley I have does not show the bolt tourque spec. Any suggestions?

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
My VW parts guys can pull up great pictures. Go to your VW dealerships parts counter and see if they will pull up there Illistrated Parts Catalog. Bring your VIN no. just in case they ask. I will be pulling my A3 tranny out/and apart in a few days. I can remove the VW bracket and see what I find for you if you need.

Ed.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
That is the bottom of the shifter guide assembly. Its just a place for the shifter's shaft to rotate in. It does not use a gasket, it uses gasket sealer. You can buy the expensive VW (use their oil pan stuff) or use some RTV stuff from you local autoparts store.

I would jack the car up so the DS is higher then the PS and the front is higher then the back. This will cause the oil to roll towards the diff'd drainplug and will hopefully allow you use the RTV without any oil dripping out.

Make certain the car is warmed up before draining as you will get more crude out of the transmission.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The corrado bentley manual has the how to guide for transmission but mine is not near me. The bolts for the shifter guide are 8mmx1.25 so I'd suggest 18 ft lb as this is typical of that size bolt.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks G60ING!

Your reply is basically what the dealership told me. They said it is not on the their system so you will likely use RTV to re-seal it. However, I do not always trust the dealership so your confirmation is useful. I could not find it in my Bentley (paper copy) so the tourque information you provided is very useful. 8MM looks about right I will likely drain and replace the gear oil anyways. It is only $10 a bottle from a local car shop. I am curious what the MTL will look like after a number of years and this is a good opportunity to find out.

A comment about MTL for those that are interested since I have been running it for many years now. I find it is WAY better in the winter (it does get cold in MN). I find shifting is smoother in general. Also, it appears to glide (like downhill with no throttle applied) much better with less resistance. It works well for my 1997 1Z manual transmission. Your mileage may vary with other TDI models and other climates.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
G60ING said:
That is the bottom of the shifter guide assembly. Its just a place for the shifter's shaft to rotate in. It does not use a gasket, it uses gasket sealer. You can buy the expensive VW (use their oil pan stuff) or use some RTV stuff from you local autoparts store.

G60, you may have saved me from pulling out my tranny. The bottom shifter shaft mount is broken on my A3, here is the thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253197

If I can replace this part, I may be able to repair mine quicker.

Thanks, Ed

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a spare one $30 shipped.

FYI you can not use the earlier G60 ones that do not have an emblem. They have a different diameter guide for the slector shaft.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Thanks, I was able to get one from Brian at VWCity here in Atl.

I installed the selecter shaft support plate, selecter shaft and top bearing, housing and gear selecter mechanism. The Bomb cycles through the gears nicely. I will find some G50 synthetic oil Sat, service her up and see how she performs.

You gave the Bomb a new lease on life, G60. She has 313K, and slowly getting back together. http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=56847&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=28131

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Tranny serviced, shifter adjusted, the Bomb is back on the road. Now the straight exhaust will be the next modification. Isn't she bring a tear to your eye.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is finished also. Thanks for your help edjet and G60ING!

A note to anyone who has to do this. Even if you drain the fluid, there will be some left when you remove the plate. Be prepared for a splash.