www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:28   #1
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Smile How-to: Repair the air filter snow screen

For those of us that prefer to keep a snow screen, the original snow screen of the B5.5 air filter box tears easily. Note holes around the edges in the picture.

VW's ETKA does not list the correct replacement part for this screen. That leaves us to figure out a solution for ourselves.

This is a cheap solution (relative to other mods I have done ). Go to your local home improvement/hardware store and buy a package of paint strainers such as the ones pictured.

Take one out of the package and cut a piece out to cover the opening in the air filter box. Make the piece big enough to hold while you install the frame (see next step).

Cut off the remnants of the old screen and reinstall the frame to secure the strainer piece. Install the screw back in to the frame (hole at lower left in the picture).

You're done. Reassemble the air filter box.

Another option is to cover the intake point where the snorkle fits onto the air filter box. Do not do both options. I found it obstructs the intake too much and the car would not idle properly.

I verified, with VCDS display of MAF readings, that the air flow through this filter was just as good as before.

The package of strainers cost $1.98+tax USD. There is plenty of material to make several filters. My budget might even allow me to splurge and just replace the screen periodically, rather than clean.

The advantage of option 1: stays in place when you have to remove the snorkle for maintenance work.

The advantage of option 2: easier to clean or replace.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 13:50   #2
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Better than knee-high hosiery?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:43   #3
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

While we are on the subject, and hopefully this is not taken as a hi-jack.

During our our recent volcanic burp, I removed the snorkel that sticks out to the front of the grill and went with inside the engine compartment air intake.

It keeps ingestion to a minimum (unless really thing and at that point.......)

Also, I carry a section of filter media that I can warp around it if bad and at least make it home.

No suffering of fuel mileage, and of course, you aren't going to suck in the junk that gets into the so called snow filter (which seems to be sand and not snow!).

Any thoughts on what the purpose of running out the front is when all you are doing is picking up maximum crud?
Old May 4th, 2009, 15:01   #4
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Yes your post is off topic of the thread. The answer is "cold air" intake vs. sucking in engine compartment "warm air". Covered in numerous threads in "Upgrades" forum, "TDI 101", etc.
Old May 5th, 2009, 23:14   #5
LoneLIPumpeDuse
Veteran Member

Looks good MOGolf, as soon as my globs of silicone sealer take up too much area I'll have to decide betwwen plastic or metal. http://www.mcmaster.com/#9225t319/=1r11f2
The sound of TDI speed
LoneLIPumpeDuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 16:00   #6
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Lug Nut, since I don't have any, I eagerly await the results of your test with yours.

LLIPD, I think the $1.98 supporting my local economy was a better choice than shipping from McMaster-Carr. There are other products at MC that I considered (based on the mesh size) but landed up with this choice. It is clearly designed for use in a moist environment with a mesh size similar to the original.
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:21   #7
Route 66
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 VW

Here look at this grill design for better air flow. http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...highlight=potm
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote