www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 17th, 2008, 17:00   #1
marspball

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle
Default Coolant Leak = Head Gasket problem?

My 2000 beetle TDI has been losing massive amount of coolant. The reservoir keeps on getting empty, especially after driving on highways for about 100km. I took it to a local VW shop and they said that the problem is with the head gasket and that it needs to be replaced. However, this will set me back $800. I've done some searches here and it seems that a head gasket problem can cause coolant loss. But how does it really work? Is the coolant leaking into the cylinders? Is it safe for me to drive the beetle in the meantime as long as I keep on adding the coolant? Are there any TDI gurus in the Vancouver, BC area?
marspball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 17:06   #2
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

You need to quit driving it until it's found. You WILL damage the car fatally if you keep driving it.

Could be a bunch of other things.
Old November 17th, 2008, 17:50   #3
velociT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30ish MPG

Agreed. DONT DRIVE IT. It probably is the head gasket, but it might not be.
TDT for PD and now the Deuce Mafia Member #002

Then: 06 TDI 5M *sold*
Now: Ram 1500 ECSB, Subaru Impreza Estate | Both: CAI/Cat-back/Rotella T6
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 17:59   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

TDIs rarely blow headgaskets. I would be more inclined to think the EGR cooler is at fault.. Those DO fail, and can have similar symptoms.

What needs to be done is for the engine to be COOL, and a pressure tester put on the cooling system and let it sit to see where the coolant is going. I would remove the EGR feed pipe from the cooler to the valve as well as the glow plugs. If the pressure drops, the coolant went somewhere. If it went into a cylinder, you'd see it through the GP hole(s). If it is the EGR cooler, you'd see it pooling up in there.

FWIW, I have never had to replace a failed headgasket on a TDI, but have run across about 10+ leaking EGR coolers, and VW even had a recall on some of them.

However, no way I could do a head gasket on an ALH properly for only $800. That is WAY cheap.
Old November 17th, 2008, 17:59   #5
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Most of the coolant losses I've seen have been external leaks. Water pump, hose connections, and the most irritating place is where the coolant pipe enters the block on the front side of the engine, down below the injection pump. Provided the car is equipped with VW G12 coolant you'll see tell-tale signs of pink residue wherever the leak is externally (except seeing the water pump leak which requires removal of belt covers unless it is to bad that it leaks out the bottom of the belt area).
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 18:06   #6
auto_tech

Fuel Economy: 5.3L/100km Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGolf
Most of the coolant losses I've seen have been external leaks. Water pump, hose connections, and the most irritating place is where the coolant pipe enters the block on the front side of the engine, down below the injection pump. Provided the car is equipped with VW G12 coolant you'll see tell-tale signs of pink residue wherever the leak is externally (except seeing the water pump leak which requires removal of belt covers unless it is to bad that it leaks out the bottom of the belt area).
+1

Seen that twice now.
Old November 17th, 2008, 18:27   #7
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

If you pressure test it, crank engine over with glow plugs out before starting it. The coolant can go into a cylinder, cause a hydrolock, and trash the engine. If you crank it over with gps out, coolant will shoot out the hole and you will know where your leak is.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 19:48   #8
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

all good advice.
Old November 17th, 2008, 22:34   #9
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

sooty film in the coolant bottle = gasket failed between coolant passage and piston

chocolaty coolant and elevated oil level = gasket failed between coolant and oil passages

Pressurizing the cooling system as it was suggested is the best way to find out.
2014 Honda Civic
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 14:28   #10
BadMonKey
Veteran Member

Just finished getting my EGR cooler replaced $550 so its not cheep, the stupid part cost $500 plus gasket and fluid. Mine never left a mark on the pavement but it left red crusty stuff everywhere. Took longer to clean off than replacing the part.
BadMonKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 14:50   #11
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the 2000 Beetle of the OP has a different engine and EGR cooler than the 2004 Golf of BadMonKey. The latter engine is known to have EGR cooler problems.
Old November 19th, 2008, 14:56   #12
rammd

TDI(s): 2005.5

Check the heater hose at the back of the engine. You'll need to drop the bottom debris shield . The heater hose closest to the exhaust is prone to fail if the heat shielding material has fallen off. My 2005 jetta had this issue last week. It was only leaking under pressure and it was hard to find when the engine was cold.
rammd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 15:02   #13
MOGolf
Veteran Member

On the 2000 Beetle of the OP, you can readily see heater hoses from above. The 2005 Jetta is a different engine.