www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 13th, 2008, 06:28   #1
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

Default Neighbors who insist on parking in front of your house???

All,

I want to get your input on this situation. First let me give you some background. The street I live on meets up to a townhouse development with no outlet. That means that everyone going into the townhouse development can only get in/out by coming past my house. I am the last single family home so my neighbor on my right is a single family home, then my neighbor on the left (though further away) is a townhouse.

The guy in the townhouse never has been really friendly, in fact I think he is jealous because my wife and I are fairly young with careers and are so far successful and can afford to have the things we work very hard for. They on the other hand appear to be blue collar workers. He has a townhouse full of people...it's him, his wife, his brother, and his son. I have counted a total of 5 cars that they have. They have two trucks, a Toyota his wife drives, an old full size ford, and a small sub-compact.

So here is the story. It all started when they left the car in front of my house for six straight days over a holiday weekend. When I had company over I spoke about my displeasure over it loudly on my deck so that they could hear me. Finally the car moved, but then they started parking blocking my mailbox. I called in a parking complaint because they were parked the wrong direction (against the flow of traffic). They received a warning and the very next day parked there again, I phone in another parking complaint and this time they were cited. They still parked in the same place the next day after the ticket, and I just let it go. Now, to avoid having to move my wife's car when I take my car out of the garage, I have began parking it on the side of the house which is the side that faces them, I also set the alarm off and let it go for a while too after they parked their car here yet again yesterday but this time facing the correct direction and not blocking my mailbox.

Anyone have any opinions on what I can do to keep them from parking there? Please, I don't want to do anything criminal like vandalize their car or anything like that, but the polite note and the tickets obviously didn't make them get the point. I just don't understand because if we park within the townhouse development, we will get towed away, but they can come out and harass us and we can't do anything about it.
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:45   #2
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

have you tried going over and talking to them directly like an adult? (remember that someone has to be the adult in this type of situation )
Why I can't recommend a tdi > MY 06 st this time
Why I recommend fuel additive. Why I can't recommend use of Opti-Lube
tditom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:45   #3
vdub21
Veteran Member

I think if you keep calling the parking guys... they will eventually get the point... i mean once you get 10 tickets in a row.... you are bound to get the point. Other than that.. you are going to be doing criminal things... like puncturing tires etc... so like you said you dont want to go down that road.
Euro front corners
BBS 15" rims 205/70R15 Rear spacers
Cone air filter
130PSI Train horn
Kamei grill
Front blue turn signals, blue high beams
TDICLUB.com Sticker
vdub21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:56   #4
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. They avoid me, like yesterday the guy that owns the house came home from work and saw me cleaning out my garage so he turned around and left.

I didn't call the 3rd time they parked the wrong way because they had their other cars parked the wrong way as well and I think they were going to give the police a hard time if I called them again. They had turned all the lights off in their house to make it look like they weren't home, but I could see them from out back peeking out their front door.

Now, my wife's van is parked on my property facing their house, so when they look out their kitchen, bathroom, and another window they will see my wife's van just like I have to look at their car. I mean it is just common courtesy not to do that and if they had been nice about it I would never had said anything anyway. But last night, his brother pulled up and parked the car there when they thought I wasn't home (my house was dark), then his brother picked him up in the old ford and then left. The police said the car is registered to some address in Elkridge and not from the neighborhood. In the beginning I didn't know who owned the car, because they were parking it there when they thought I wasn't home and then moving it in the middle of the night.
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:00   #5
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Are you the only one in your area with a problem or do other neighbors fell the same way? If they do, then I suggest you get together and approach the local authorities. There are a number of possible solutions.

However if it is only you that are experiencing problems, there likely is not going to be much you can do other than calling in when they are illegally parked. Remember you don't own the street, even if you paid for it. It is public property and only the public (government) can make the rules.

Personally I would guess some of your approaches may have only aggravated the situation. A one on one adult conversation might have been the best way to start. Passive aggressive is not likely to be productive.
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:04   #6
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Meehan
Are you the only one in your area with a problem or do other neighbors fell the same way? If they do, then I suggest you get together and approach the local authorities. There are a number of possible solutions.

However if it is only you that are experiencing problems, there likely is not going to be much you can do other than calling in when they are illegally parked. Remember you don't own the street, even if you paid for it. It is public property and only the public (government) can make the rules.

Personally I would guess some of your approaches may have only aggravated the situation. A one on one adult conversation might have been the best way to start. Passive aggressive is not likely to be productive.
I agree, I am only having a problem with it because of the amount of traffic on the street, the difficulty in entering/exiting the driveway, and the fact that I have to move my wife's van every time I want to go somewhere with my car. I don't plan on doing anything else at this point. If the spot is open, I will park there and if it isn't I will pull on the side of the house so that I don't have to play musical vehicles anytime I want to leave. I mean I have a 2year old daughter for god sake, it isn't easy for two people to have to constantly move cars when they have a 2yo that needs supervision 100%.

EDIT: Across the street from me is common area for the association (for the townhouses), thankfully there is a fire hydrant directly in back of my driveway....if people park there I can barely get out of my driveway. They don't park in front of the other houses, just mine, so I don't think I will be able to do anything. I don't want to hate them, I just want to be able to live a peaceful existence....I guess sometimes that means I have to be the bigger person and just let it go

Last edited by no-blue-screen; September 13th, 2008 at 07:17.
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:29   #7
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

For a while, we had a new neighbour next door, whose friends and family would take the liberty of depositing one of their vehicles in front of our house while they were there. Nothing illegal about it, but it is the convention in this neighbourhood that you don't use the space in front of someone else's house unless it is an unusual situation.

I brought home the largest, drippiest (oil) truck I have and left in in front of their house for a few days, and ever since, peace and order has returned to Wisteria Lane.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:52   #8
MrMopar
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

For starters, I would be an adult and have a face-to-face conversation with the people in the house about the parking situation. They may not be cooperative, but it helps to try that as the first step. Forget that they might be jealous of your achievements or professions, because that's the way the world works. There is always inequality and differences in achievement and wealth unless you live in communism where everyone is miserable (except the elite government employees). The best you can do is talk to them as an equal, not talk down to them, and be as polite as can be. They may have gotten to be blue collar and are kept there by their choices and attitudes in life, so you won't be changing that anytime soon.

If they don't act like polite adults, and they keep on blocking the mailbox or parking in the wrong direction, keep on calling the police EVERY time that you have to in order to get them to correct that issue. It doesn't matter that they might be jerks to the police, because the police are paid to have people be jerks to them. Most of the time that backfires on the jerk, because the police will remember that address and the guys who keep on coming out to the parking issue calls will keep on ticketing the offending vehicle until they are fatigued or fined into compliance. Absent that, maybe the police have a Denver Boot ordinance in your town after you rack up too many tickets? After that, maybe they start towing away cars after you rack up too many tickets?

I commend you for taking the high road and (at least for now) avoiding the vandalism route. It's not a fun path to go down, but always keep in mind that you might indeed have to indulge in retaliation should your neighbors fire the first shot. If they get confrontational or imply damage to your vehicles, step it up a notch with your own veiled threats ONLY if you can back them up. I will be honest - I have done this in the past in my own confrontations. My standard threat is that any harm that falls upon my vehicle will be visited tenfold upon their vehicle - and that they should refrain from slashing tires or egging unless they wish to find their own vehicle as a burned out hulk that will be headed directly to the scrap yard. It is embarrassing that it had to come to that over petty disagreements, but I am definitely not a person to be messed with.
Old September 13th, 2008, 13:11   #9
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

Good points MrMopar. Oh believe me, if they do anything to my vehicle they will get it. Funny thing happened today....the place where they usually park in front of their house....one of their neighbors across the street pulled up there and the woman came out and said something to her like 'you have open driveways ...why do you have to park in front of my house'....LOL....I saw her car drive off a few moments later....and for the last several hours the neighbor left her car parked right where it is..LOL...now they can see how it feels. In any event, I have come to the conclusion that I am perfectly happy to keep my car where it is and the fact that I no longer have to move my wife's car to get out of the garage. If they want to park there...who cares.

EDIT: Also, I didn't mean to imply that I have anything against blue collar workers....I don't....heck my father worked at Bethlehem Steel for 37 years as an iron worker....he actually survived, and then got screwed when they went bankrupt....what my point was is that so many people are very quick to judge someone else and I am sure they are over there calling us rich pricks....and trust me...we aren't rich I can promise you that

Last edited by no-blue-screen; September 13th, 2008 at 13:15.
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 13:20   #10
NMRJock
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43, 40

Vandalism is definitely not the answer. You already said that you're better off financially. With that, you have nicer things to target for vandalism. You don't want to start that contest.
Old September 13th, 2008, 13:28   #11
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

I hate to say it but who owns the street?
You have 3 choices. Lighten up and put up with it, Keep breaking their balls until there is a fistfight or worse or move.
Your mention of their perceived jealousy leads me to believe you are a snob even if your dad worked for Bethlehem steel. What does your career success have to do with someone parking in front of your house?
There are 2 sides to every story. I would like to hear theirs. I am sure it would be different than yours.
Perhaps it is time to move to a better neighborhood where there is less traffic and more parking.
Life it too damn short to get upset over such ridiculous B/S.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 13:35   #12
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevster1
I hate to say it but who owns the street?
You have 3 choices. Lighten up and put up with it, Keep breaking their balls until there is a fistfight or worse or move.
Your mention of their perceived jealousy leads me to believe you are a snob even if your dad worked for Bethlehem steel. What does your career success have to do with someone parking in front of your house?
There are 2 sides to every story. I would like to hear theirs. I am sure it would be different than yours.
Perhaps it is time to move to a better neighborhood where there is less traffic and more parking.
Life it too damn short to get upset over such ridiculous B/S.
Exactly what I meant when I said some people are quick to judge. They haven't liked us from day one, I would say hi to the guy when he was out walking his dog...no response....just a blank stare. All the other neighbors seem great and there are other neighbors who state they are difficult neighbors....in any event....I have no other reason why they would not like us..we haven't done anything at all to them...then out of the blue they leave their car in front of our house for 6 days over a holiday weekend...before that they were parking on the other side right up against my driveway making it difficult for me to get out...my plan is to ignore.
Old September 13th, 2008, 13:45   #13
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Is there a HOA and do they have any regulations about parking?

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 13:49   #14
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 14:17   #15
sassyrel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
thinking the same thing
96 passat wagon- black---438,387 --!!!! out of commission now!! walts ccv, and gregs cat filter--burnin the bean----------96 passat wagon--green--rebuilt--222,368 miles--dang near new!!!!!!!!! gregs cat---just got another wagon,white,smacked-will fix!!
sassyrel is offline   Reply With Quote