www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:34   #1
trumpster

Default Alternator problem 2005 passat tdi

Hi, I've got a 2005 passat tdi wagon. At 65,000 miles the batter/alternator light starting coming on intermitently. I brought the car into the VW dealer and they did not get the light to come on and tested the Alternator and said it was working fine. The next day, my wife was driving to Chicago from Green Bay. The light came on in Milwaukee and she continued to drive thinking the light was faulty. The car died at a CARMAX in Kenosha, WI. They checked it out and said the Alternator was bad. They quoted me $856.00 to fix it. I complained to the VW dealer but they said it is impossible to detect a bad alternator when it works itermitently. (Is this true even with a full load test?) I found alternators online priced at $211.00-$265.00. They list three different sizes...90 amp, 120 amp, 140 amp. I was told by AutoParts Warehouse that the 120 amp is a direct fit. I ordered a rebuilt for $243.00. I intend to hitch a ride to Kenosha and drive the car back home with 2 or 3 batteries and have a local mechanic do the install or maybe attempt it myself. Is it hard to do? How far/long can I drive with a fully charged battery provided I don't run any accesories? Could I change the alternator right in CarMax's parking lot? Any advice or comments or guidence would be appreciated.
Thanks.
trumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 13:18   #2
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

WHOA! TIME OUT!!! STOP!!

Replace the voltage regulator/brush holder! Cost $60.00-$80.00

DO NOT replace the alternator! The tip off that you don't replace the alternator is the price of a new alternator. the only time you replace an alternator is if you have a failed bearing, even then a Bosch shop can repair it for under $100.00!

Most shops don't offer to simply replace the Voltage regulator/rectifier/brush holder module since most grease monkeys prefer to rape you and your credit card for the price of a new alternator plus labor!

VW alternators come with replaceable VR/Brush holders that wear out BUT are easily (relatively) replaced. reference item #4 in the diagram below...

You can easily replace the plug in module in the parking lot with some fairly basic tools.

BOSCH
VOLTAGE REGULATOR NEW
120 AMP
(Compatible with OEM part number: 038-903-803-EX)
List Price: $87.59 :: Impex Price: $65.53

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/bosc...ew_849050.html

DB

Last edited by Drivbiwire; August 18th, 2008 at 13:31.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote