Boost Gage - Which One?

JimBo_KW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
I want to order my boost gage and get it installed before I get my car tuned this summer. I have read quite a bit and I am looking to order a New South Indigo centre column mount unit. However, I am a little confused about which unit to buy. The "Turbo Pod" or the "Diesel Pod"?? I believe I need the "Turbo Pod" but just want to confirm before I order.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the best price on this unit? It looks like ordering right from New South Performance @ $105 is the best but not sure what the shipping would be.

Thanks

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
I have the indigo set up, and it's wonderful, the catch is that it buzzes a bit. I need to fiddle a bit to make it not buzz, but i LOVE the colour!

jetta'd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta
i just recieved the new south coulumn pod with vdo vision boost gauge. if you have a tdi get the diesel pod, the gauge is boost only 0-30 psi and comes with the 'no buzz' fitting, which is just a 90 degree elbow with a restrictor in it to stop the buzz which occurs at the gauge.

i ordered mine from ebay and with shipping, exchange and duty (grrrrr 15 bucks!) it was $115 and installation is a breeze!

this is where i got mine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-South-Boost-Gauge-Pod-VW-MKIV-Jetta-Golf-TDI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38660QQihZ025QQitemZ380014162354QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have the VDO gauge and have had it for about 1 1/2 years or so.
Mine does not buzz, vibrate or make any noises whatsoever and does give me instant responses. What may be the difference is that I run some very small (1/8") tubing from the upper intercooler pipe to the gauge. It is also easier to fish through the firewall.

jetta'd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta
yes, i used 1/8" nylon tube from the top ic pipe thru the firewall as well.

at first i thought it wasn't working b/c i started the car and gave it a few revs and there was no reading, went for a drive and there was boost, is that the way it should be?

it spikes to about 17-19 psi and holds at about 9-11 psi and that is on a stock turbo (only 10,000kms on it)

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
From their web site:

Mk4 TurboPod™
Mk4 ColumnPod™, Indigo or VDO Vision Boost Gauge - 30 In.Hg - 25 PSI, 6 ft nylon tubing kit, NoBuzz T-connector (for VDO gauge only), electrical wiring and connectors

Mk4 DieselPod™
Mk4 ColumnPod™, Indigo 0-35 PSI or VDO Vision 0-30 PSI Boost Gauge, 9 ft nylon tubing kit, NoBuzz TDI intercooler connector, electrical wiring and connectors

Get the DieselPod.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Cheapie $17.99 boost gauge on sale at Princess Auto.:D

If your gauge buzzes, you need to install a 1/64" orifice inline with the vac line to the gauge - it will get rid of the buzz.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
my VDO gauge uses 1/4" tubing - i've tried many straight through male to male barbed fittings but the gauge still buzzes! what is the "Orifice" you speak of? where do i buy it?

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
[/IMG]
NS column pod, 42 DD perfect match lighting, SW gauges

As close to a "factory" look as I could come.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
OmegaRenegade said:
my VDO gauge uses 1/4" tubing - i've tried many straight through male to male barbed fittings but the gauge still buzzes! what is the "Orifice" you speak of? where do i buy it?
Omega, you basically need to restrict the flow through the tube. In my case, I used a barbed coupler (brass) and brazed one of the ends shut. I then drilled a 1/64" hole in the end- the restriction still allows the gauge to function, but kills the buzz - if you can give me the ID of your tubing, I'll be more than happy to make one for you.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
OmegaRenegade said:
Omega, did you get your VDO from 42DD or it came with the car? I got mine from a 42DD group buy and they gave everyone a plastic barbed fittings to kill the buzz when someone raised the buzzing issue.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i bought my own from 42DD. When i purchased the kit it came witht he barb and it killed the buzz on my jetta. HOWEVER when i was pulling the parts from the jetta after it had been crashed - i didnt think it was that important to salvage that piece. Kinda wish i had now. I'm gonna try to do what Windex suggested by drilling a small hole in one of those fittings i've attached. i dont see why it shouldnt work and the amount of air pissing outta that size of hole shouldnt make any difference in terms of functionality of the gauge or operation of the car.

I'll do that tonight and report back here to see how it worked (good or bad)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
OmegaRenegade said:
I'm gonna try to do what Windex suggested by drilling a small hole in one of those fittings i've attached. i dont see why it shouldnt work and the amount of air pissing outta that size of hole shouldnt make any difference in terms of functionality of the gauge or operation of the car.
I think you have this wrong. What the idea is, is to RESTRICT the flow in the tubing and not to bleed it off.

I eliminated all of this by just running 1/8" tubing from the upper pipe back to the gauge, no buzz, no vibrate, NADA!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I ordered the NewSouth DIESEL Pod over a year ago... it comes with a restrictor in the intercooler pipe fitting but it still buzzes. You get used to it. Otherwise a nice kit. Here is a pic:

JimBo_KW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
But this has a VDO gage in the pod not an Indigo gage.......correct?

NarfBLAST said:
I ordered the NewSouth DIESEL Pod over a year ago... it comes with a restrictor in the intercooler pipe fitting but it still buzzes. You get used to it. Otherwise a nice kit. Here is a pic:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
JimBo_KW said:
But this has a VDO gage in the pod not an Indigo gage.......correct?
Yes, I got the plain old VDO and it came with a blue LED... at the time the exact match Indigo gauge was not available in 0-30psi. I am happy with the one I got, with a blue LED it is "close enough". 0-30 PSI is definetly the way to go on a diesel. The intake never runns vacuum. Looks like they have an INDIGO 0-35 psi boost gauge now.. http://www.newsouthperformance.com/indigo.htm
Right sorry, I have the VDO, it buzzes, I'm used to it. Sorry, can't comment on the newsouth Gauge, but I do like the newsouth POD

Last edited: