www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 26th, 2008, 17:45   #1
CTD&TDI
Veteran Member

Default Need new key cut....

Where is my best place to get a new key cut for my 99.5 a4 jetta? the dealer quoted me 52ish dollars for it. i dont have a blank either.

thanx
caleb

CTD&TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 18:03   #2
occb2

Fuel Economy: 44 MPG

That is cheap. Volkswagen by me, wants $74 bucks for the Valet key and programing. And around $150 for the flip. Thats on a 2000 jetta.
Rob
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 19:28   #3
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD&TDI
Where is my best place to get a new key cut for my 99.5 a4 jetta? the dealer quoted me 52ish dollars for it. i dont have a blank either.
__. "World-Impex" did a great job supplying a "switchblade" key with remote for my '03 wagon. Dunno if the 99.5 is as easy but it should be.
Old February 27th, 2008, 00:44   #4
NFSTDI

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39-44.75 MPG, cumulative average 39 MPG

Good chance a 1999.5 is not a transponder key. 2000 may not be transponder either but hard to say. Best place to have a key cut is a locksmith. Dealer will order a key by VIN if you ask. There is an independent VW repair shop near my key shop that orders them by VIN and sells them for less than you guys were quoted. Check around with local lock shops and VW repair shops.

$52 is likely a code key and will be better than a cut key. Ask if they are making it on the spot and how.

$150 for a flip key is not a bad price, especially for a remote head key and programming.

MrGutWrench, I'm curious, how did you program your transponder key to start your car? That generally requires some sort of programmer that connects to your car and a PIN number.
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
http://www.keysforcarsberkeley.com
NFSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:02   #5
occb2

Fuel Economy: 44 MPG
Default Transponder key

Yea the 2000 IS a transponder key. I wish it wasn't. The key is only 35 bucks and they charge 1/2 hr labor. Same with the flip key.
Rob
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:31   #6
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSTDI
snip) (MrGutWrench, I'm curious, how did you program your transponder key to start your car? That generally requires some sort of programmer that connects to your car and a PIN number.
__. I haven't yet. I use the "valet" key (the only one that came with the car) to start the car and the new key for the remote. The new key-blade will also unlock the doors and hatch (wagon) mechanically -- it will even mechanically unlock the ignition but if I try to start using the new key, I get an "immobilizer shutdown" after 2 seconds or so.

__. My problem was that the car that I bought to replace my totalled car came with only the "valet" key. I haven't been able to find the Secret Key Code (not in the owner's manual, etc.). I'll have to either find someone with "VAG-Tacho" (a computer program that will read the SKC) then program the keys with VAG-Com or have the SKC reset as part of a "chip".
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:55   #7
whatnxt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 Golf
Fuel Economy: 38-47

Be very carefull about ordering keys online. Some are plated brass and can not be cut. Too soft. Make sure that the blank is steel.
whatnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:34   #8
NFSTDI

Not all 2000s have active transponder system, some do, some don't. It's what we call a split year.

MrGutWrench, I may be able to locate someone near you who can program the key if you like. Many locksmiths, like me, have VAG-Tacho. I purchased mine at considerable expense from a legit dealer. There are cheap copies circulating. If you have VAG-Tacho you do not need VAG-COM to program keys. VAG-Tacho will extract the PIN and program new keys. There are other programs that do this as well. RC Jeff has one so if you organize an RC tune GTG it's very likely you can have him program your key.

Not sure who told you brass keys can not be cut, I cut them every day in my lock shop. Most keys are made of brass including most car keys. Some car keys are made of steel and most locksmiths charge more to cut them or refuse to cut them as they put some serious wear and tear on cutters. Much like putting the wrong oil in a PD motor!

The biggest problem with ordering keys on line is getting the wrong transponder or worse yet a used transponder that can not be programmed to your particular car. This is an issue with Chrysler and various other cars. People take a used remote head key apart and put it in a new shell. The problem is that certain transponders are a one time use. Once programmed to a particular car they can never be programmed to another car.

Best bet is to contact local locksmiths. Many will refer you back to the dealer but a few of us actually have the equipment, key blanks, and knowledge to do the work and save you money!
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:51   #9
marspball

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

Actually, steel is bad. All the locksmith that I know won't cut them. And they use magnets to test this...if it's magentized, it's steel. They are bad because they are very harsh on the dies. They prefer brass because it is softer and easier on the dies.

Be careful buying a blank blade on the internet. They best ones are the OEM blades manufactures by Valeo or Huf. Just because the blades have HAA stamped on them doesn't mean that the will work. Look at your original key blade and find the logo...that's how an OEM blade supposed to look like. As for how much to cut, i know a locksmith in my area that can cut the blade for $25. To program the chip, find someone with vagcom. Don't have the pin, find someone with vag tacho as well or look for your black tag that comes with the key. hope this helps.
marspball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:40   #10
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Quote:
(snip) MrGutWrench, I may be able to locate someone near you who can program the key if you like. Many locksmiths, like me, have VAG-Tacho. I purchased mine at considerable expense from a legit dealer. There are cheap copies circulating. If you have VAG-Tacho you do not need VAG-COM to program keys. VAG-Tacho will extract the PIN and program new keys. There are other programs that do this as well. RC Jeff has one so if you organize an RC tune GTG it's very likely you can have him program your key. (snip)
__. Thanks, NF. I've been working to try to find a local VAG-Tacho but life has been "interesting" lately and I've been short on time. I appreciate your knowledgeable help.
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:26   #11
CTD&TDI
Veteran Member

when i bought the car it had a VERY badly cut key with it...it looked like someone used a cordless drill to do it with. i had a new key cut off the vin and it ended up being just a valet key. i called vw and asked for a full access key and the 52ish is what they quoted...i dont have a keyless remote or switchblade key....too expensive...lol

CTD&TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 16:54   #12
NFSTDI

Twenty-five is what I normally charge for duplication service of most side milled keys. That includes the blank! I also charge twenty-five to cut a customer supplied key using my duplication machine. Keys cut by code (VIN number must be referenced to a code by VW or one of the services I can use which in turn is referenced to the key bitting) are generally fifty for high security keys. Programming is additional and that depends on a number of factors such as how many working keys do you have.
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
Old February 27th, 2008, 20:41   #13
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Quote:
Not all 2000s have active transponder system, some do, some don't. It's what we call a split year.

MrGutWrench, I may be able to locate someone near you who can program the key if you like. Many locksmiths, like me, have VAG-Tacho. I purchased mine at considerable expense from a legit dealer. There are cheap copies circulating. If you have VAG-Tacho you do not need VAG-COM to program keys. VAG-Tacho will extract the PIN and program new keys. There are other programs that do this as well. RC Jeff has one so if you organize an RC tune GTG it's very likely you can have him program your key.

Not sure who told you brass keys can not be cut, I cut them every day in my lock shop. Most keys are made of brass including most car keys. Some car keys are made of steel and most locksmiths charge more to cut them or refuse to cut them as they put some serious wear and tear on cutters. Much like putting the wrong oil in a PD motor!

The biggest problem with ordering keys on line is getting the wrong transponder or worse yet a used transponder that can not be programmed to your particular car. This is an issue with Chrysler and various other cars. People take a used remote head key apart and put it in a new shell. The problem is that certain transponders are a one time use. Once programmed to a particular car they can never be programmed to another car.

Best bet is to contact local locksmiths. Many will refer you back to the dealer but a few of us actually have the equipment, key blanks, and knowledge to do the work and save you money!
I bought my Vag-tacho from impex for around 50$ which I do not consider high. World impex also was getting their keys from VW and cut when they arrived at the store. I never had a problem with any I sold when I worked there. If you watch what you are buying you can get good keys of Ebay then find someone with the proper software.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 22:53   #14
OldDogDan

Fuel Economy: 43-50

My 2004 Jetta TDI manual says to see the dealer to program new keys, but then goes on to describe programming a new key by using your good key and inserting the new one next, all in a certain order and amount of time. Is that procedure just to "refresh" an already programmed key? (BTW, I get the point about programming the car to the key, but it just seems easier to say "program the key"...). My local dealer sold me a master key w/o remote and cut it for $70. Wanted about $200 more to program it. Thought I'd check into it further before doing that.
OldDogDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:04   #15
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

There are two items that have to match. One is the immobilizer. If the car doesn't recognize the key, the immo cuts the engine after 1-2 seconds.

The other is the FOB. This is what is described in the manual.