Stafford Virginia, anyone need a4/a5/b4 TDI work? Broken Glow Plug Removal too.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Most all work can be performed here except tunes. References are available. I don't know all there is about everything, but I know alot about everything else.

My neighbor who is ASE LT1 qualified has done many clutch jobs for me so those jobs are now possible too.

I can now remove busted, broken or spinning glow plugs plugs from the 1z, ahu, and alh heads while the head is on the engine, or off the engine for that matter. Email me for specifics.

Last edited:

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
tomo366 said:
REDACTED (ninedee golf tdi) is an Excellent Mechanic and does great work!
Highly recommended
I think the OP is offering not asking for referances.

Last edited:

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Ah, now I get why you got your upset. I missed that you were refering to the OP when you gave the referance.

Last edited:

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
tomo366 said:
I edited my 1st post so confusion would be avoided.....
Hell! I thought you were pi$$ed becaused I didn't refer you..............;)
Its alright, I am late on my payments for referance to you anyways right?

peterkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI, RC3 ASV110, Sprint 520's....Lots of Fun. (Sold it, like an IDIOT)
I stop by Tom's house every now and then to have him check things out. He's a great guy, but watch out for his attack dog! :D

I'll swing by next week during lunch Tom.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Ya Tom does excellant work. also very meticulous. He knows his stuff and has all the right tools. Im scared of his dog though ;) hard to find gurus hit him up.

Last edited:

O0_Ia

TDI
DESTROYED
Have you done a lot of TB changes on the newer PD (BEW) engine?
Stafford is lot closer than Maryland.

EvilBunny

TDI
85 jetta n/a DEZ(RIP) 03 Golf TDi(RIP), 02 Tdi5spd(RIP), 1984 GLi 20vBT, 85 westy golf(ALH BTswap), 06 M3(RIP), 2013 335is, 2010 690 duke(rip)
can yu rebuild an injection pump? if so how much. we're in stafford.

if not where is a good place to get one rebuilt?

also, do you know much about early mechanical diesel Vw stuff? i need a full blockrebuilt. and i do not wanna do it, i have a coupel otehr projects goin gon and when my 84 GLi is finished, i would lvoe to have my bottom end rebuilt and retimed,etc,etc.

i mean..at 550k+ miles its starting to show it's age.

let me know!!

-chris

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
I visited Tom this morning for a TB job on my Passat. If I hadn't been watching, asking questions and generally making a pest of myself by getting in the way, it would have been a true 3 hour job. :)

Also, the sheer amount of tips, knowledge and maintenance advice Tom gave me were amazing. I've got direction, issues repaired and great information, especially since I travel 4000 miles a month right now (1000) miles a weekend.

Great experience and well worth the cost.

Ralf

mk4gasm

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
i went to tom's place with a code and left without one. the man is good, he knows what hes doing and has plenty of tools to do it with. when i hit 170k im coming back.

Hirak

TDI
2001 Black
Take it to Tom!

Living in Williamsburg VA is nice but there are no TDI mechanics nearby I trust. I found Tom in Stafford picking through the Eastern USA forum. I needed a 200K TB change, analysis of a chronic low power issue, and a check engine light deleted. You know you can tell a good mechanic in the first few minutes by the kind of questions asked, his demeanor, and the ambience of his digs. Tom fulfilled my expectations, did a meticulous TB change, educated me on parts wear issues, the dangers of cheapo offbrand parts, and confirmed again the rampant incompetence of dealer repair shops. He sent me home with a new TB/water pump, more power than I showed up with, sans a check engine light and with a replacement part for me to try. I strongly recommend that those of U in VA or nearby environs visit Tom for proper TDI maintenance work and troubleshooting.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Another satisfied customer

+1 "Helpful" for Tom. He helped me out with an water leak that expanded to a thermostat replacement late on Sunday, including working around a frozen mounting bolt. And very reasonable.

R2.0

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Tom got my A/C up to speed yesterday without incident. Just in time too. Supposed to be mid-80s on Memorial Day.

Opie

TDI
2005.5 Jetta A5 TDI
I met Tom last week (found out he lived around the corner). What a pleasure to meet someone with old school values and ethics. His shop is awesome. I feel like I just hit the VW TDI Lottery..hahaha THanks for your help Tom and I will stop by soon.

John

Calico Red

Perpetual Newbie
TDI
Passat 1996 Blue (sold 2/25/2012), Jetta 2005 Blue
One very happy TDI owner here! :)

Tom worked his majic on my '96 Passat. :D

Brake replacement went off without a hitch. Discovered and corrected a botched gear linkage problem from a stealership (that's why I had problems with first!), and generally gave her a thorough going over.

Introduced me to the "pick-a-part" junk yard in hopes of finding a replacement driver's seat, alas, none was to be found :mad: -- maybe another time.

And he patiently shared his knowledge with this perpetual newbie.

Many, many thanks, Tom!

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Wow, I have a lot of things to report about Tom and his work.

Despite very short notice because of work, I went over today to Tom's for a timing belt job. He took the time to provide a little on the job training to make me a smarter owner. Everything went smoothly and when we discovered my kit (I bought myself) was missing a few pieces, he lent me parts from his personal stash. He even went over my car and showed me things that would possible present problems at my next state inspection.

Thank you Tom for your professionalism and I'll be back to correct those other things.
-Nick

dhdread

TDI
82 Vanagon diesel, 98 NB
If you need top professional TDI work in the Northern Virginia area, Tom Earl is the man! I am a newbie in the TDI world and found Tom through the club forum guru mechanics page. I stopped by his shop for a timing belt and water pump change. After seeing his shop that was full of professional “Big boy” machine tools I could tell that he had plenty of skills to do a simple timing belt and water pump change. I got more than mechanic work, I viewed it as paying for one day education course on changing the belts, pump, an explanation of the hammer mod(?), a quick lesson on the VAG.COM program and maintenance pointers for the future. He had all the tools and then some to do the job right! I showed up with parts in hand and he provided the tools and experience. He found some other problems and tracked down the causes. He told me what parts to buy and how to fix it. The problem is solved- CEL light is now gone. He will also follow up with you to see if a problem still persists. Rarely will mechanics educate and take that kind of time with their customers-they are rare, but do exist. It would be well worth your time to look him up-the man is a Pro. If you do stop by his shop be careful with the guard dog-two men enter, one man leave. Tom thanks for all your help.

Andy

mcegelsk

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Great work by great Mechanic...

Tom,

I've been meaning to say thanks for the great work at a great price on the timing belt change we did at the end of June. Everything's smooth after that, then the wife decided to go hunting with the Jetta. Bagged herself about a 180lb deer on the left front corner. I just got it out of the shop and it looks great but just got a CEL this morning on her way to work (yes I did let her drive it again, as she didn't harm the diesel at all with the deer). But again, I really appreciate the time you take to answer any and all questions and allow me to learn and assist! Great learning experience. Thank you!

~Matt

saitoh

TDI
NB 2002 5spd
I agree, I had Tom change the TB in my '02 NB and we took care of a couple other gremlins. Tom quickly assessed what was in front of him and pointed out some historical elements about my particular car which I had never known.

Really happy with what I got out of the afternoon, both mechanically and educationally, and the car runs fine. Tom pointed out some details and made sure I had the chance to ask questions about the process or what to look for, even with basic stuff. I second dhdread's comments, its tough to find a mechanic of this level of educational ability and experience.

Definately worth my time to drive from Richmond. :)