www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 15:06   #1
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Default Route suggestion

I've been looking at Mapquest for routes to Montreal and could use suggestions from folks that know the routes.

Fastest route (per mapquest) is via Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Syracuse, and crossing the border at what looks to be Kingston, then on to Montreal.

Alternate route is via Toledo, Detroit and cross border, then London, Toronto, Kingston, and on to Montreal.

Routes estimated to be about 1/2 hour difference. 916 miles vs 914 miles.

Any yeas or nays for the two routes.? The Detroit route does keep me mostly off toll roads. Fast border crossings are a plus.

Thanks, Bruce
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 17:09   #2
black_and_chrome
Veteran Member

I would recommend taking I-81(n) in NY state to the Thousand Island Bridge, to Hwy 401(e), to A-20(e) in Quebec, to A-540(e), to A-40(e) - exit 52 Blvd. St Jean to the Holiday Inn. There is less traffic on the road and smaller lines at the border. The Buffalo border crossing can often be back-up and you will the have to go through the city of Toronto which always has traffic... Plus the Thousand Island Bridge and area is very nice. I have lived in Montreal all my life and work in the transport industry. Please feel free to ask me for recommended routes, it would be my pleasure to make suggestions.

2005 Jetta TDI PD GLS Black on Beige - 35% tinted, Diesel Power DIGI PD PRO + TPC, G60/VR6 Clutch, TT shortshifter, Passenger Performance DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3" SS straight pipe, 3.5" tip, Cat 2 FF, Autometer Colbalt Boost and EGT - R-Line pedals, shifter, monster mats, plate cover, grill emblem, custom decal in window - Frost TDI Heater, Evo Skid Plate, Pioneer F-900-BT W/Sirius Satelite, OEM GLI valances, OEM GLI 18" BBS RC Rims
3rd place at TDI Fest 2007 Show and Shine
black_and_chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 19:21   #3
craig01b
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

The drive into Kingston, and thru Gannonaque(thousand islands) is nice....interesting bridge to cross also. If I could avoid the drive thru Toronto, I certainly would.

Black and Chrome's route is good. The 401 into Montreal is boring, and watch for the SQ(surete Quebec) as you cross into Quebec. The patrols on the 401 are also kinda thick. 120(74 mph) kms is *safe* in Ontario....115(70 mph) or so in Quebec. No guarantee's....but I do the route 6 or 7 times a year, and havne't had a ticket in years.

Craig
Old August 6th, 2007, 16:30   #4
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick
Any yeas or nays for the two routes.? The Detroit route does keep me mostly off toll roads. Fast border crossings are a plus.

Thanks, Bruce
Fast border crossings? At Detroit/Windsor? Lots of luck there! It's the busiest US/Canada crossing in the midwest. If you have to come via Michigan then take I-94 north to Port Huron/Sarnia as that crossing is less congested. That said if you are crossing right on the holiday weekend itself both will be busy - I know firsthand from the Fest held in Burlington, Ontario back in 2003.

Aren't you coming in bhtoofer's gigantic TDI convoy anyway? That is sure to cause a jam as well!
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 15:44   #5
jettafock
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 39 44

Hey guys I was just wondering whats the best way to get up to the fest from the Baltimore area? Google maps has me taking 81 into Canada. Would it be any faster to take 81 to 88 to 87 up to the fest?
2004 Jetta TDI 17/22, RC3, 3bar, 2.5 DP no cat with magnaflow muffler after DP to 2.5 straight pipe, 17" Monte Carlo wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni Yellow's, 337 front/rear brakes, GLI brushed alum. interior trim.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/788097 2009 TDIFest Peoples Choice Winner
jettafock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 16:12   #6
Teknojnky

TDI(s): mk5 2.5

speaking of "safe speeds" radar detectors are not legal in ontario and quebec. So if you have one use it at your own risk.
Teknojnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 18:11   #7
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettafock
Hey guys I was just wondering whats the best way to get up to the fest from the Baltimore area? Google maps has me taking 81 into Canada. Would it be any faster to take 81 to 88 to 87 up to the fest?
Interseting question, AAA has me taking 81 to 78 to 87 where as mapquest just takes 81 all the way up.

At this point I'm planning on taking I-76 to I-81 to CN-401 on the way up. Then take CN-15 to I-87 to US-209 to I-80 to I-81 to I-76 on the way back. There's only 10 miles difference in the routes. The trip back will be a bit slower since US-209 won't be as fast as an interstate but it will be more scenic, and I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 19:07   #8
black_and_chrome
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove
Interseting question, AAA has me taking 81 to 78 to 87 where as mapquest just takes 81 all the way up.

At this point I'm planning on taking I-76 to I-81 to CN-401 on the way up. Then take CN-15 to I-87 to US-209 to I-80 to I-81 to I-76 on the way back. There's only 10 miles difference in the routes. The trip back will be a bit slower since US-209 won't be as fast as an interstate but it will be more scenic, and I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday.

I-81 to 401 all the way... I have driven both routes many times... It’s a much nicer and quicker drive!

2005 Jetta TDI PD GLS Black on Beige - 35% tinted, Diesel Power DIGI PD PRO + TPC, G60/VR6 Clutch, TT shortshifter, Passenger Performance DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3" SS straight pipe, 3.5" tip, Cat 2 FF, Autometer Colbalt Boost and EGT - R-Line pedals, shifter, monster mats, plate cover, grill emblem, custom decal in window - Frost TDI Heater, Evo Skid Plate, Pioneer F-900-BT W/Sirius Satelite, OEM GLI valances, OEM GLI 18" BBS RC Rims
3rd place at TDI Fest 2007 Show and Shine
black_and_chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:03   #9
dubdrew
Veteran Member

i would suggest avoiding toronto, traffic there can get quite bad even at night due to construction in some cases
Old August 25th, 2007, 00:11   #10
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Actually, if you're coming up I-81 and would like a bit of a scenic route once in Ontario, take the Thousands Islands Parkway East when you get off the bridges... It eventually merges with the 401...

Also, be aware that fuel in Quebec costs more than in Ontario, so for all those who will be coming in on the 401, when you reach exit (kilometer marker) 789 in Cornwall, you have the choice of an Irving station on the North side (Diesel only - as if anyone here would be driving a gasoline-powered vehicle) and a Sunoco station about 400 feet South of the exit... cheapest prices in the region...

See you at the Fest...

Yuri.

Last edited by ymz; August 25th, 2007 at 00:15.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:33   #11
Radman
Veteran Member

I second the Sunoco at exit 789. One of my favord fueling stations when passing thru that area.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:01   #12
4JimmyVee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1700 ltr yr 45Mpg 5.3L/100k

At 1000's Islands Canada Custom is usally very good, I've pass this border 8-12 times a year. At fort Erie, I have has several pull off events where we play 50 questions usally along the line why do I go to the USA so many times a year.
4JimmyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:25   #13
jettafock
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 39 44

So what is the current price of diesel at the Sunoco at exit 789?
2004 Jetta TDI 17/22, RC3, 3bar, 2.5 DP no cat with magnaflow muffler after DP to 2.5 straight pipe, 17" Monte Carlo wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni Yellow's, 337 front/rear brakes, GLI brushed alum. interior trim.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/788097 2009 TDIFest Peoples Choice Winner
jettafock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:05   #14
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettafock
So what is the current price of diesel at the Sunoco at exit 789?
Last night it was 86.9 cents (Canadian) / liter

(That equals U$ 3.098 / US gallon).

At least we have universal health care...

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote