www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 15:03   #1
Ernie Rogers
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/ 45/ 40
Default ATV that runs on biodiesel

Hi, this is from the biodiesel.org newsletter. /Ernie

New Biodiesel-Approved Offering Hits the Off-road
Farmers now have more options than tractors, trucks and implements for using biodiesel. Arctic Cat has just announced and completed development of a twin-cylinder diesel ATV, the first on the market. Popular on farms, Arctic Cat is encouraging the use of a biodiesel blend in these ATVs. The company began manufacturing them last month.

The Arctic Cat machine comes with a fuel tag that recommends biodiesel use of up to B20. This was the first time B20 had been commercially promoted in small diesel engines. Two sponsor of the research were Minnesota Soybean Research and Promotion Council (MSR&PC) and the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute’s Center for Producer-Owned Energy. Two percent biodiesel, or B2, is now standard in Minnesota. Arctic Cat is also based in Minnesota.

Arctic Cat was very impressed with B20, and it offers a good selling point for farmers, said Ole Tweet, vice president of new product development “It says to them, ‘Here’s a vehicle for you that runs on the very stuff you grow.’ That’s a tremendous attribute.”

Arctic Cat rigorously tested Lombardini diesel engine ATVs on emissions, sound levels, hot-start capability at air temperatures of 95 degrees Fahrenheit, and normal-life engine durability tests, which simulate five years of consumer use. The tests compared for winter use with a No. 1 winter blend as well.

The 686cc twin cylinder, SOHC 4-stroke diesel engine, provides 30 percent greater fuel mileage over a conventional gasoline engine and provides extra low-end torque. The engine runs efficiently on six forms of diesel fuel, including B20, with a glow plug pre-
Ernie Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:49   #2
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime 45.52, best 61.18

so they offically endorse B20, but how do they feel about B100?

i like the fact that other vehicles besides cars are getting in with BioD, i'm searching hard for around a 50cc diesel motor to replace the gas one in my Honda Elite scooter. i'd love to get that thing >100mpg from it's current 60mpg or so.
MrErlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:28   #3
trigun
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErlo
so they offically endorse B20, but how do they feel about B100?

i like the fact that other vehicles besides cars are getting in with BioD, i'm searching hard for around a 50cc diesel motor to replace the gas one in my Honda Elite scooter. i'd love to get that thing >100mpg from it's current 60mpg or so.
I believe that it was suzuki that has the diesel motorcycle you may want to do a search on ebay or yahoo.

trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:25   #4
meganuke

Hayes Diversified Technology refits a Kawasaki KLR650 to run on diesel, B100, kerosene, or JP8. Currently for military use, but they are planning on releasing some for civilian use. Expected price (when it was last available on their website) was around $14K.
meganuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:25   #5
meganuke

Hayes Diversified Technology refits a Kawasaki KLR650 to run on diesel, B100, kerosene, or JP8. Currently for military use, but they are planning on releasing some for civilian use. Expected price (when it was last available on their website) was around $14K.
meganuke is offline   Reply With Quote