www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 24th, 2006, 22:52   #1
ARO
Veteran Member

Default CB Radio in a Golf/Jetta !?

Does anyone have a CB radio installed in a Golf/Jetta A4 bodystile!? Can you please take a picture and show me where you installed it?

I can't seem to find a place to install it....it's too BIG....I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Dimensions are: 9 X 7 1/4 X 2 1/4.

Thank you
01 Jetta/Bora TDI MT
02 Jetta/Bora TDI AT
06 Honda Civic GAS AT
07 Volvo VNL780 TD AT
ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 23:21   #2
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

I have heard of a couple of Ham Radio installs using radios with
remote control heads. But I have heard of ZERO CBs in a late model VW.
You must have or get a FCC license (test required) to use ham radios
and ham frequencies. They upside is a 50 mile range vs. about a 1 to 5
mile range for cb. Also the lanquage is clean on 2 meters, so it is kid
friendly. The test is 35 questions, multiple choice and about as hard
as a driving test... There is NO minimum age and I know a 9 year
old girl that did it with no problems. Many Hams got their start on CB
but were turned off by the lack of performance and filthy language that
you just can't seem to get rid of totally.......
Study books are readily available.
WWW.ARRL.NET
WWW.QRZ.COM

Later,
Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 13:26   #3
Sweeps
Veteran Member

The woman I bought my car from had a CB radio installed in it.

She had it bolted to the side of the centre console just below the shifter on the passenger side foot well. Not a lot of room, but she never had passengers, when I test drove the car it was there and I really didn't even notice it as far as an inconvenience.

I can't provide pictures obviously because it is not in the car anymore!
- MK4, MK5, MK6 Jetta TDI's in the past.
Sweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 15:17   #4
ARO
Veteran Member

Thank you for the info....
01 Jetta/Bora TDI MT
02 Jetta/Bora TDI AT
06 Honda Civic GAS AT
07 Volvo VNL780 TD AT
Old June 25th, 2006, 16:22   #5
JayT
Veteran Member

ARO:

If you end up with install, I'd like to see pictures. I've been thinking of hardwiring a CB for quite some time. I'm particularly interested in stock looking antenna mount.

I use a hand-held in the cup holder. An indespensible piece of road equip. for getting "driver" cross-talk, particularly on interstate accident scenes. Of course the rubber antenna really doesn't service so far...

2003 Golf TDI 4-door GLS, Rocketchip stage 2, Boostvalve, Scangauge, LED city lights, euroswitch, Panzer skid plate - SOLD
JayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 23:33   #6
ARO
Veteran Member

Jay T

I will post pictures after I install my CB and antena....untill then I have to figure out how to post pictures.....maybe someone can explain me how to post pictures....I looked at FAQ and read this:

(Not linked)

(Linked)

I don't get it...I am not good with computers. So, how do I include a picture out of "My Pictures" to my post!?!?

Thank you
01 Jetta/Bora TDI MT
02 Jetta/Bora TDI AT
06 Honda Civic GAS AT
07 Volvo VNL780 TD AT
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:28   #7
jimlockey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 mpg

I have a cobra or midland. They are about the same, but there is no instlation. The radio is all incased into one small handset. You just plug it in. For the antenna I use a "ille" or little wilson. It sticks on with a large magnet. The radio is all incased in the handset. It is small and works perfect. I have two. One in my truck and one in my Passat.
2000 Ford 350 diesel
jimlockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:40   #8
daedalus
Veteran Member

Disclaimer - I am not a CBer and probably suffering from Alzheimer's as well!

There used to be a CB radio manufactured in a single-DIN format that would fit directly into the dashboard (assuming that you have a free DIN slot). I don't recall who made it but Cobra is coming to mind.

It may be worth a search via Google or on EBay.

An alternative would be to get a remote mount transceiver that has all of the controls built into the microphone.
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 16:23   #9
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Cool

The best thing about any radio installation of any kind in a TDI is....(drum roll please)....ZERO IGNITION NOISE!!!
Great when trying to listen to very weak signals that would otherwise be covered up by spark ignition noise in a gasser.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 16:55   #10
daedalus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das
The best thing about any radio installation of any kind in a TDI is....(drum roll please)....ZERO IGNITION NOISE!!!
Great when trying to listen to very weak signals that would otherwise be covered up by spark ignition noise in a gasser.

....and the worst thing is using a mini-mag mount until it's old enough to drill a hole for an NMO!

Jack
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:16   #11
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

Cobra 75 WX ST. Just bought one myself. It has two parts; one is a very small box that can be mounted under the seat; it's like 2"x2"x3". The DC power cord and the coax go into that. The other unit is an oversized mic, that has all the controls on it.

The unit feels weird in the hand, it's actually probably too big for long term comfortable usage; but for me, who only listens when traveling, it looks like it will work well.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:38   #12
FredIA
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das
That's awesome, I never thought of that. Do you run HF? I don't plan on it in the Jetta but it's an interesting thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
....and the worst thing is using a mini-mag mount until it's old enough to drill a hole for an NMO!
I'm planning on using a "trunk-lip mount" NMO on my A5.. I don't see how that'll be a problem and I am sure it will be completely reversible.

I was actually thinking of putting the Yaesu 8500 (remote head) with the unit in the trunk, and against conventional ham logic use the accessory power plug that's already there (which I believe will source enough current). Anyone seem to think there will be a problem with this?

Where is a good place to mount and/or hide the front panel in an A5? Any suggestions?

73, Fred, W0FMS
FredIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:50   #13
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

Yep, at 50W out it'll be a problem. While the socket may be rated to 10A, it'll be at 10A with like a volt or more of drop.

Run 10g wire up to under the dashboard. On my A4, the power in is on like a 6g (or better) wire to a stud; there are several other studs on this power distribution block. The big one is the battery feed. I put a 10g wire onto that (using a ring terminal) and ran the power out back to the trunk. I did not run a ground wire; I drilled a hole, cleaned the paint off, and used that for the ground return. The 12V wire was tucked under the plastic pieces to get out of the way. Works good.

Now, that was for my car; I pulled out the compartment that the first aid kit was going to go into, and that gave me enough space mount the radio behind the panel. I have a wagon, though; you may want to locate / need to locate elsewhere.

There was a drain plug in this compartment; I fed the coax out this. The coax then ran up into the tail light area (had to notch that slightly, no impact on the seal though), and then up the hatch to my roof rack mounted antenna. I used some RTV to hold in place; it actually works better than I thought--I had to replace the coax, and that RTV ain't coming off easily (although I don't think it has hurt the paint, just has really good adhesion). I think it was some RTV from Radioshack.

I did put on an HF mount, but wound up taking it off ('817 is just too low power IMHO for mobile HF phone). I have a Hidden Hitch on my car, so I just took a piece of angle stock, and drilled a couple of holes in it to go under one of the screws. A couple years back, there was an article in QST about how to use the tow ring (which is where mine wound up anyhow) to mount an HF antenna; IIRC the article showed a yellow Bug.

KB1CKT

On edit: I used an FT-7800 in mine; I remote mounted the head under the HVAC controls. There was a small plastic piece that pulled right off, yielding a flat surface to mount the head of the radio. I did cut a small piece of wood so that the head sits out a bit, and I put a bit of an angle onto it, so that it would angle up just a bit so I could see it. Trial and error; but if I need to sell the car there is no visible holes for that either.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:51   #14
humanphibian

Magnum Research Mini Magnum radio is the S#!t in a small radio. They are tiny, and put out BIG WATTS. They come set up for 10meter use, but with a little (very little) research, you can find the jumper schematic to allow use on CB Bands (11 meter).

try this link, the radio is about 1/3 the way down the page:

http://www.radioactiveradios.com/MonsterMobiles.html

they run about $100 (USD) or so.
humanphibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:45   #15
mgwerks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlockey
I have a cobra or midland. They are about the same, but there is no instlation. The radio is all incased into one small handset. You just plug it in. For the antenna I use a "ille" or little wilson. It sticks on with a large magnet. The radio is all incased in the handset. It is small and works perfect. I have two. One in my truck and one in my Passat.
DO yourself a favor and spend the extra bucks for a Wilson 1000 magnet mount. Guaranteed to get out farther than any antenna anywhere except a larger Wilson. I run one with a Galaxy 949 'CB' and can routinely get 15 miles plus range on the road.

If you are looking for a CB or 10-meter radio, I heartily recommend http://www.claysradioshop.com.

"Oso Négro" - an Anthracite black 99 NB TDI - 232,000 miles as of 4/1/09
"Thud" - Arctic white 2000 F-350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, Crew Cab Long bed - 201,000 miles as of 4/1/09
mgwerks is offline   Reply With Quote