Rear washer sprayer on Golf

jmur

Veteran Member
I assume this from the inside, after you've ripped off the inside cover of the hatch?:confused:
Yup. After that it's easy to remove the whole motor assembly and work on it at a bench, just three 10 mm nuts. Taking the trim off of the inside is the scariest part, sounds like it's being destroyed. Take 2 screws out of the hand hold pockets first. When I put my trim back, I'll grease all of the clips slightly. Then next time the trim removal shouldn't sound so bad.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I wasn't brave enough to take things apart without a new motor waitiing to go in...

Now that I have that, will probably look into it this weekend.

logos

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI 5A. Previous car: 2001 Golf, 5spd
Jmur,
I have exactly the same problem. I've the wiper motor assembly apart, and I'm looking at the little brass pipe with the twisted off end. I can see how you drilled it out of the wiper fluid fitting and replaced it, but I'm concerned about the jagged other end, where it broke and leaked. How is the pipe normally connected to the nozzle? I've poked around and there's corrosion and sooty black gunk up in there. It seems to me that the new pipe won't make a seal, or will just jam and twist off like the old one.
Incidentally, VW did a decent job designing the fitting so that the fluid drained out of the wiper shaft and not into the gearing. Sort of wasted effort though if you can't replace them separately...

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Picture update

I didn't want to have to fight with trim twice (plactic and I don't get along), so I ordered a new motor to install rather than going the repair route. (I will investigate the old motor now that it's out, though.)

My pictorial guide:

Carefully pry/flip up the plastic cup/cover - steady pressure caused it to pop up. It's connection seems flimsy - be gentle!

Second view:

Remove 13mm nut with deep socket to protect the plastic spray nozzle (black). We used a battery terminal puller to pry the wiper arm straight off.

Now to the inside...

The trim is THE WORST PITA! Start by removing the screws from the hand hold areas - 1 in each 'cup'. Looking from the inside, you should just then be able to 'pull' the trim straight out towards you - but you can't do that with the hatch closed...

I wrapped a screwdriver and slipped it in closest to the latch area (center bottom). Had to use a soft mallet on the screwdriver to 'persuade' the clips to let go, and worked from the middle out, one side at a time leaving the end clips for last.

The center clips (tops & bottoms) are standard metal clips - I popped those first. The ends are a little tricky. The Bentley does try to explain them, but seeing is believing...I think;) . FYI: The light grey plastic trim is MUCH softer than the black plastic. You'll see that you sort of have to 'unclip' one from the other on the ends.

Inside of trim panel:

Those screwy end connections (light grey square piece):

And here is the motor (finally): note the 3 10mm mounting nuts/studs.

I used a small flat screwdriver to pry the fluid connection from the plastic nipple on the motor.

Disconnect the one wiring connection, and unbolt the three nuts and remove motor. Note the 3 empty studs...

There was significant corrosion of the splines between the old motor shaft and the wiper arm. The new motor appears to be spraying a greater volume of fluid in the same 'straight up' manner it has for the past 6 years. Happy wiping once again!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Nice write-up... I'm afraid I'm the latest victim of this wonderful design... only took my car 2 years 10 months to get the spray nozzle to start turning with the wiper arm... Wish I had time to take it apart... I'm more of a mind to find some other type of spray nozzle, drill a hole in the darned tailgate, and be done with this planned-to-fail design...

Just venting... (I know, It's not Ventsday...)

Yuri.

logos

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, any info on this site for how to deal with all the plastic trim is a welcome addition.

I'm slowly working around to repairing this problem the way Jmur did. I have the module open and the wiper shaft pulled out. Unfortunately a twisted off bit of pipe (the end where the spray nozzle sticks in) is stuck inside the shaft with rust. At least, I think that it originally was all-a-piece with the brass pipe. I've been trying to gently tap it with a punch to get it free, but if it's actually not meant to come out I don't want to mutilate it.
As for drilling the pipe out of the fluid fitting, I have to find a really steady drill press to use. Mine wobbles a little. Do you think if I heated up the metal pipe, it might soften the epoxy so that I could pull the fitting off?
In the meantime, my friend found a plastic plug (comes on the end of propane tanks) that fits just right in the hole in my hatch. It's red, so it even looks kind of nifty.

jmur

Veteran Member
Well folks, my great wiper repair failed. :( Black Max adhesive is not suitable for this job. It loosened up. I'll try something else and will report back if it lasts more than a month. :D Jeff

logos

Veteran Member
TDI
I have some Devcon 2-ton epoxy that I think might do the trick, but I won't know until I get access to a decent drill press to try and replicate jmur's fix. In the meantime the tube is back there unattached, and I've been reeeaally careful not to hit the arm forward and spray the hatch area with antifreeze.

jmur

Veteran Member
Ok, I've performed the repair again with Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Stay tuned.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
Herm TDI said:
"HampsterV"...Howdy

The rear sprayer tube has started to bind due to crud/ road film & corrosion.
Remove the sparyer tube and clean it with some fine 150-200 Grit paper.
The hole needs to be cleaned out as well. Use a few pipe cleaners and then a light film of 5-w40 ( you might have some of this stuff around).

This will keep the tube from binding or breaking which will cause a leak into the rear hatch and other related problems....such as ground faults and hidden corrosion.
Oops. On re-reading this thread, and seeing Herm's and others explanation for what is going on, it sounds like time to look a little closer and get some lube in there.

Not a huge surprise on a wagon, I guess. Corrosion on the tailgate on our Volvo 240 wagon has always been an issue. A very harsh environment back there around here in the winter. Regularly doused in salt spray.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Apologies for the reply to an ancient thread, but I thought i'd throw in that one can sometimes find a used wiper motor over on the Vortex from some fool who deleted the rear wiper because he thinks it looks "cleaner".

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
I guess I failed to reply to this thread earlier. I have the A4 Avant Wiper. Has been on for a couple of years now and is still working well. I don't have a part # as I went in and asked for a wiper assembly for the rear sprayer on an A4. Took a little bit of fitting but once on, has been seamless.It is nice to have two jets spraying water (on hits the bottom and the other the top) and to have it spray with the miper motion.

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
Mine has done this twice now.

The first time it got ignored since it seem to "work better". Left alone the whole pivot eventually seized, soon after that the rear glass broke. :eek: Likley due to the motor's torque flexing the assembly in the glass. Needless to say this time I just replaced the motor as quick as I could.

Last edited:

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
peteman said:
I guess I failed to reply to this thread earlier. I have the A4 Avant Wiper. Has been on for a couple of years now and is still working well. I don't have a part # as I went in and asked for a wiper assembly for the rear sprayer on an A4. Took a little bit of fitting but once on, has been seamless.It is nice to have two jets spraying water (on hits the bottom and the other the top) and to have it spray with the miper motion.
Peteman- Please clarify- you replaced the motor and all, or just the sprayer? Could you elaborate on "a little bit of fitting"? Any new holes required?

Thanks.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
The wife's was leaking at the top of the hatch when the washer was activated. It squirted out the nozzle, but leaked at the top of the trim area, dripping onto trim at the top of the hatch, dripping onto the carpet in the rear cargo area.

After I removed the trim at the top of the hatch and down the sides of the hatch for 14 inches or so, and was following the hose (for cracks, splits etc), I removed the top center stop light for better vision. It turned out to be a small "clamp" connection between the hose(s), right behind the top (center rear hatch window) brake light. It popped right back together, and I used a small zip-tie to ensure (hopefully) it does not come apart again.

So I got out easy...

Hose this time, maybe wiper motor next...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hamster, Lito, or anyone who has removed the Mark IV hatch trim: I've got the "lower" portion out, so that the 4 clips nearest the bottom edge (closest to the rear bumper when closed) are out, and the next two metal clips that reside closer the the side edge of the hatch trim are out, but I cannot seem to get the "upper" four clips, closest to the hatch glass. Anticipating the "pull really hard" or "just stick with it" advice, I've pulled really hard and broken the iternal plastic factory "glue-gun" clips that hold a secondary plastic piece (where the upper clips actually reside) away from the main hatch trim piece. If I continue without a new strategy, I'll end up unable to remove it. The old vortex thread has lost its pix, and this is likely the best Club thread. TIA.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
On my 05 the bottom part of the inner panel locks into the upper gray portion. IIRC, you have to pull at an angle so as not to break the plastic like I did. I recommend a trim pulling tool for better control. I don't remember all the specifics, but you don't want to just yank off the lower black trim.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JB- Thanks for the help. Ours should be the same. Do you recall if you were able to pull where the trim meets the glass? I can see where the clips are (since the bottom is completely seperated), so it looks like pulling (or using a trim tool) at the glass would work best. The upper clips themselves are not attached to the main plastic, but part of a smaller pc that is hot glued to the main plastic. I cannot even get a fingertip or pry tool (what I was using, not as good as the plastic trim tools) in at the glass to work it.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update for anyone who finds this: Prior to buying interior trim tools, I did get the (Golf) rear hatch interior cover off. The tool I found that worked perfectly? My plastic ice scraper, used carefully between the cover and the hatch glass. The clips at this point are attached to an inner plastic molding that is held to the main trim by hot glue tabs- easily broken if you pull from the sides or opposite end.