www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 8th, 2005, 20:25   #46
robrichtx
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG Average - 90% City

I am still a little confused on this. I have a 2006 A5, took delivery Nov 3rd. My dipstick does not have an M on it, but the bottom of it (the section that gives the reading) is black. Very difficult to read.

For those of you that have the new dipstick, is the bottom part Light Grey, or a very dark grey? I'd like to be able to read mine better...

Rob
'90 Beneteau 32s5 - Volvo Diesel- 15 Gal/Year
robrichtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:05   #47
GregoryB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 +or- fun factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrichtx
I am still a little confused on this. I have a 2006 A5, took delivery Nov 3rd. My dipstick does not have an M on it, but the bottom of it (the section that gives the reading) is black. Very difficult to read.

For those of you that have the new dipstick, is the bottom part Light Grey, or a very dark grey? I'd like to be able to read mine better...

Rob
You are describing my dipstick exactly. It is hard to read since the bottom section is black, and it looks like it is plastic too. I wonder what precautions VW has taken to make sure that piece doesn't end up in the engine.

Friends may come and friends may go, but enemies accumulate.

2006 Jetta TDI, Platinum Grey, DSG, Pkg.2, Protection Package,
Aspherical Mirrors, Clear Marker Lenses, Euro Tails, Euro Switch,
Rear Fog, Volk-L Bluetooth, VAG-COM HEX-CAN USB, Charged Particle Beam Generator 12w.

GregoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 15:06   #48
aj164
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 hwy best (~ 138000 odo.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryB
I wonder what precautions VW has taken to make sure that piece doesn't end up in the engine.
I don't think it would do anything but hang out in the oil pan. It would be too big to get sucked through the oil pickup screen (at first). If it hits a moving part, it's just going to break into smaller pieces, and if a piece is small enough to go through the screen, then it would get trapped by the filter.
'06 Jetta TDI DSG pkg#2 (145k miles)
TGE Inc. | StarRotor
aj164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 16:18   #49
quartermeter1999
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006
Fuel Economy: 44-46
Default New dipstick is SHORTER not Longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevildee
I thought I had responded but I guess not. I picked up my new dipstick last week. From what I've noticed, as long as you are full on your old (shorter) dipstick, you will have enough oil with the new dipstick. If you are in the middle to the low side of full on the old dipstick, you'll probably have to add oil.
I got my new one and had to add about 1/2-3/4 quart to have enough. Hope this did not cause any problems.

I gotta figure how to get 4.5 L out with the Pela pump.

Great site
quartermeter1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 15:44   #50
mrutter1
Veteran Member

Do I have the updated dipstick?

Mine reads this:

AT
GN4
PA 6.6

and 180* over...

03G 115
VW AG

mrutter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 17:54   #51
PAJettaTDI

Default Painless Dipstick Replacement - Oil Capacity Question

During my 5k oil change, I noticed that I put in about a liter less than what the capacity in the manual called for. After doing some diggin in here I found out about the dipstick being too long and I thought I'd let you folks know about my experience.

I called two different dealers in the Pittsburgh suburbs. I spoke of the recall (B7), and asked them to check on the part number (03G115611). The large dealership took my VIN over the phone and checked for the part. They didn't have it but said they could order it for me. Evidently they were not too familiar with this problem.

I tried a smaller dealership, and suprisingly, they had one available. They never asked for a VIN up front and told me just to come in. I showed up and they filled out a quick form and a guy came with me out to the car and swapped it out and checked my oil level for me. We had to add about 300ml back in to bring it up to the proper level (I had already added a little extra knowing the old dipstick was too long). He jotted down the VIN and I signed the form and went on my way.

Fairly painless, but sort of rediculous that they are not calling us to have them replaced proactively. If I didn't have this forum, I'd be short a Liter or more.

One question I had was that I read on here that the oil capacity for my car is 4.3 liters (4.5qt.). My owners manual has an addendum in the back with states that the capacity is 4.8 Liters (5.1qt.). After all my dipstick swapping and topping, I fugure the total I actually put in is somewhere around 4.3 liters and it was right up to the max indication. Do you think the book is a misprint?
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote