Can't get out of park? Brake switch workaround...

cast_and_blast

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS Auto - Silver
Can\'t get out of park? Brake switch workaround...

I recently was having intermittent problems with shifting my Jetta out of park as the brake switch was acting up. Called the dealer and one of the service managers gave me a workaround to get my car out of park and "limp" back to the dealer. I didn't see this anywhere in this forum so I thought I'd share it - might help someone out.
Here are the steps:

1. Put the key in ignition, turn 1/4 turn. Do not go so far that the dashboard lights go on.

2. Using right hand, shift car out of park to a spot between neutral and drive. Hold the shift lever in this position with your right hand.

3. Using left hand, reach through or under the steering wheel and turn the ignition to the start position to start the car. Once started, you should be able to shift to drive.

If you need to go in reverse to start out then you would want to hold the shift lever (step 2) in the position between park and reverse or neutral and reverse.

Worked for me - was able to get to dealer and have them replace the brake switch (under warranty) with the new model.

Good Luck!

Scott

schultzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI PD, 2004, Reflex Silver/Grey Velour
Re: Can\'t get out of park? Brake switch workaround...

Nice workaround! <thumbs up!>

JeffInDFW

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Dark Green Metallic

Holy Smoke! I registered to be able to use the search on this site because I had this problem THIS MORNING. I came here to look for info, and this message was posted ONE HOUR before I had this exact problem. Thank you for taking time to post this information!!! Guy at dealership said the part has been redesigned. Good thing since I just replaced mine 11 months ago and it is already dead again. Bad news is, I've gone 17,000 miles so I get to pay to replace it yet again....

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
Re: Can\'t get out of park? Brake switch workaroun

Had this problem with daughter's Beetle. Apparently VW brake light switches leave a lot to be desired. Thanks for the tip.

cast_and_blast

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS Auto - Silver

You're quite welcome! I know first-hand how frustrating it is to have you car essentially "locked" in park.

This doesn't fix the problem but at least you can limp home or to the dealer to have it fixed or pick up the sub-$20 part. There is info on this site on how to replace it yourself - it looks REALLY easy!

Some folks have suggested carrying a spare - don't know if that is necessary given the redesigned brake switch or not.

At least you won't be stranded!

Scott

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle

Does 'cast and blast' have anything to do with lead?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

Nice workaround! <thumbs up!>
__. Yeah, and it should be more commonly known. Also, when the Fed gummit made these "interlocks" mandatory on autos (about 1980), there was discussion about "fail-safe". A few cars in the early '80's had special keyholes right at the shifter -- if the shifter is locked up by a bad brake light switch or other failure, you could unlock it then pull your key out and start the ignition. But manufacturers deleted these features to save money.
'

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
Can\'t get out of park? Brake switch workaround...

Did this ever throw up a CEL or just lock out the trans?

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle

Don't know about a code, but I doubt it. The fact that the lever won't move is a pretty good indication there is a problem without the need of a scanner. There is also a light beside Park and Neutral...if it doesn't go out when you press the brake pedal, you need to have the work-around memorized.

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon

Don't know about a code, but I doubt it. The fact that the lever won't move is a pretty good indication there is a problem without the need of a scanner. There is also a light beside Park and Neutral...if it doesn't go out when you press the brake pedal, you need to have the work-around memorized.
I guessed that but after searching brake+switch+replace the instructions said it threw up a CEL. I am guessing I am not looking at the correct how-to.

tomotdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS, '00 Golf GL auto/5sp swap, '03 GL wagon ,
Brake switch workaround

Thanks for the very timely help - spouse called from work today to say she couldn't get it out of PARK - after I went and got a new switch from the dealer ($13.00) I did a search and found this Thread!! Now I need a clue on the switch replacement - ?!? Cancel that - looked further and just found the link courtesy of cattlerepairman - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315 - Thanks!! -- tomotdi

msusat

TDI
2003 Jetta
brake switch repair

The instructions on this website to repair the brake light switch are excellent! I am a secretary with zero mechanical experience and I was able to successfully replace this switch and put everything back together, saving myself (I'm guessing) $100 - $150.00 I would have had to pay at the dealership. Plus now I have excellent bragging rights and (psuedo) street cred with the other people in my office. I am ready to try other things on my car!

pcjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, Jetta, Baltic, 2010 Jetta Sedan
Brake Light Switch Recall

Recall Date: MAY 24, 2006
Model Affected: 2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AND CRUISE CONTROLS, A BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH ON THESE VEHICLES MAY MALFUNCTION IF IT WAS INSTALLED INCORRECTLY DURING SAFETY RECALLS 03V-265 OR 04V-096.
Consequence: THE BRAKE LIGHTS COULD BECOME INOPERATIVE, OR REMAIN ON. FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE PROPER SIGNAL WHEN BRAKING COULD LEAD TO A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE NEWLY DESIGNED BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 27, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VW AT 1-800-822-8987.
Potential Units Affected: 646246
Notes: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC N4
Back to list of 2002 Volkswagen Jetta recalls

:)

TDI
'02 Jetta
I had this same issue, however all I did was add a few shots of lubricant to the switch (located where the brake arm rests below the dash), and it has not given me a problem since.

masondupre

TDI
2003 Jetta auto TDI, Malone Stage 1, Dynamic EGR; 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD, GDE EcoTune, DPF delete;2012 Touareg, stock
Nearly 6 years later.... My 2003 Jetta is doing this intermittently. Now I know what to try when it locks until I can replace the switch.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I think due to these issues VW have a very lame brake light switch design. on the default switch position the brake switch is "turned on" (brake lights are lit, etc). This is also the position where they fail. It can drain your battery really fast if you don't spot it. Oh, and AFAIK driving with brake lights on will cause the "glow plug" light blinking in 1-2 miles.