1985 BMW 5 Series 524 Turbo Diesel Sedan 4D

pc

TDI
Hey Gang,

I was looking at a 1985 BMW 5 Series 524 Turbo Diesel Sedan 4D with 137k miles. Any opinions ? the dealer is asking $4,900US (AS IS).

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
00/Jetta/GLS/Monsoon/Silver Arrow/Black Velour
Man I Love This Car !

M

mickey

There are some previous threads on this subject. The general consensus is that they were nice cars with good engines, and probably worth a hard look if you can find one in good shape. There won't be nearly as much parts and technical support as you'd find for a used Mercedes turbodiesel, but you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping it running.

About that same time Ford sold a Lincoln Continental with that same BMW turbodiesel in it. They are also attractive diesel cars if you can find one. And the Ford bits should be a lot easier to keep in repair that BMW bits. But of course it's not a BMW. Gotta have that blue & white propeller!

As for "what to watch out for": The same rules apply as for any other used diesel car. Make sure the rest of the vehicle is in good condition. Try to find out the car's service history. It would be best to buy from an original owner, if possible, and you should shop for owners as much as for cars. A good owner will be knowlegable about turbodiesels and BMWs in general, and will say all the right things about maintainance. Though sometimes you can get a good car from a total mechanical dunce who simply dropped the car off at the BMW dealer every 3 months and handed them a credit card! (That's how my Mercedes' previous owner handled maintainance, much to my delight.)

-mickey

p.s. If you get really serious about it you should take it to a BMW dealer for a thorough checkup. Make sure they do a compression test.

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited September 05, 2000).]

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Only big problem with those early td´s (in that shape they were a first for BMW ever !) are the head gaskets. They are known to go wrong very often. Oh, and cracked heads of course.

I try to get more info on the BMWs - won´t promise anything.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
mickey is entirely correct.

I would, however, pay attention (as I can see you have already) to the "As Is" statement. That would cause me to look over everything about the vehicle. Check tire wear on all four tires, matching tread wear across all four. Variations will tell you something about the vehicle. Seams in door panels and hood and trunk panels tell if the body is aligned properly. Natural wear on the seats and floor indicate usage by driver and potenitally family members. The engine bay will tell you if it was left for dead, maintained by the previous owner, or recently cleaned up for show by the dealer. Look at how well all the equipment operates. Look at the windshield wipers for wear and dry rot. Look at the glass to see if it was replaced. If you find replaced glass, look closer around the body on the side the glass was broken. I could keep going...

Good luck!

DSLPWR