5 speed tranny fluid?

MCR

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Well, the point I tried to get across is simply this, seems that "we" have the impression that the metal in our TDIs (trannys too) is different than that used in, say, a 25 year vehicle. Where in fact, if anything, it should be better. Thus, the oil of yester-year should work just fine in some applications. And further, the more improved modern oils should work even better. I think the GL-5 is a modern oil.
I think you have this backwards. What is much more likely is that the engineers know the new oils are better, so they've reduced the margins (higher contact stresses, smaller components) and *required* the use of the better oils. In my opinion, you would be *crazy* to use an old oil.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Right or Wrong

I think you have this backwards. What is much more likely is that the engineers know the new oils are better, so they've reduced the margins (higher contact stresses, smaller components) and *required* the use of the better oils. In my opinion, you would be *crazy* to use an old oil.

You may be exactly correct. However, you need to go back and read all of my posts, #9, #12, # 29 and #30 to follow the conversation.

I did say in my original post that there's a spare tranny in case this "test" has to be abruptly stopped.

Please, no one do what I am doing..........you might trash your tranny before making it to 304k miles!

Yes, Honda was doing 30 weight motor oil back in the late 80s and early 90s.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If you go back to post #24 and read the link, it states that most motor oils should meet GL-4 specs. There is still the cold flow and shearing issue. If you use a straight weight motor oil its going to be very stiff in the winter and if you a muti-viscosity oil, its going to shear.

For what it costs, you can change your tranny oil every 40K and still be ahead....

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I am using Liquimoly GL-5 75w90 and I am extremely happy with it. I think not all GL5 are created equal.

The original fluid was getting a little syrupy on chilly mornings, but the liquimoly is nice and smooth.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I am using Liquimoly GL-5 75w90 and I am extremely happy with it. I think not all GL5 are created equal.

The original fluid was getting a little syrupy on chilly mornings, but the liquimoly is nice and smooth.
ive also used lubrimoly/liquimoly GL5, seems like good stuff.... supposed to be OK for yellow metals...maybe has different shear additives?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
just drained that LiquiMoly GL-5 ew weeks ago, it shifted OK for 63K.

Put in some Castrol Syntrax GL4/5 I had aquired from Europe. Much better shifting in cold mornings

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Big marine transmissions often spec 30w engine oil as lube. These boxes use clutches similar to car autoboxes (hydraulic operated multiple wet discs).

I think gearlube is not that much thicker than engine lube, its that the viscosity is rated at a cooler temp. Boxes generally run cooler than engines. I'd think engine lube would do fine in a manny tranny, as others seem to have found out.

I'm still going to use factory juice in my vw box. I love experiments, but hate messing with a bad tranny.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Lubrimoly GL5, with no sulfur to eat yellow metals here, good for down to -7F to 110F. I'd use either it or factory Vw synthetic oil the next time.

bikegeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
considering VW gear oil only....G60 compared to G70, your experience with the 02J, any thoughts

thanks

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The Pennzoil sychromesh if formulated to improve sycro performance, try it, it works...
I have an S10 with a 5sp that when bought, I foolishly changed gearbox fluid with generic 75w/90 or whatever. It shifted like CRAP. Recently found out it should use syncromesh. So bought two jugs and did fluid change. Shifting is SOOOOO much better!! I actually like driving it now. I may do another change as I'm sure there is some residual old stuff.

Ten years it took for me to figure that out!!