DSG transmission noise & jerking - Replaced DMF but wasn't the problem

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI
Hello, I am having an issue with my 2006 Jetta TDI. It started when we took a 7 hours tip to NJ. It was fine the entire way until I got off the highway then the noise started. It sounds like a grinding noise and sometimes the noise also pulsates. The transmission always made a noise different than any other transmission I ever heard when taking off (sounds like a clutch feathering on take off). That specific noise I am speaking of is what is much louder and sounds like it's grinding. It makes this noise in every gear for about 1/2 way through the gear and then stops. It does it worst in 1st, 3rd & 5th gear and sometimes the car won't shift out of 2nd gear for an unusually long time. Also, when I take off it jerks sometimes instead of easing into the take off and when I come to a stop it sometimes wants to keep going and I have to push harder on the brake for it to stop. If I use the slap shift it shifts through the gears just fine. I am not much of a mechanic but I think that the gears are just fine in the car. Maybe a bearing or clutch in there or something might be messed up. Anyone have any ideas or know what the problem could be? I had the dual mass flywheel replaced. I thought for sure it was the problem after reading some of the posts on here but unfortunately it wasn't. I do have an appointment at my local VW dealer on Monday the 9th. Any help is very much appreciated. I know that if anyone knows what the problem could be it will be someone on this site! I called all of the transmission shops I know of in my area and nobody will touch a VW. If I knew of someone that would check it out (and has experience with the DSG) other than the dealer I would take it to them.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I thought i saw this post somewhere else. There are specific ways to almost garrantee if it is dual mass or not. I thought you were suppost to check motor mounts, alternator clutch and tensioner. I assume these were not the problem. Anyways my manual clutch groans when i take off under load and the DMF and clutch have less than 40,000 miles. I know for a fact my DMF is fine and this is the nature of a DMF underload. Now did you replace the transfluid as someone suggested. Usually the dealer has someone at VW "tech guru" that they can help them on things like this.

Ok, I am helping you out here by leting everyone know you have looked after the majority of the above items and you need some our "gurus" to wade in.

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the motor mounts and everything are good. It is definitely an issue with the DSG transmission. No, I have not done anything to the transmission since we've owned the car. I bought it about a year ago with 98,000 and it now has 117,000 miles on it. I did buy it from my local VW dealer and they are very thorough with all of their cars. I would imagine they did do a transmission service on it before I bought it. I will definitely know for sure on Monday when I take it in.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Like I said in your other posting about this problem, you need to verify the fluid level in the transmission. That is done when changing it, you can do this yourself. If you search you will see how creative people have become that don't have the correct tooling to do it by the book.

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to leave that to the dealer on Monday. I will be sure to post what they have to say about the problem. I don't think that it would be low fluid though since I hear a grinding sound. The jerking sounds like something it would do if the fluid was low. Like I said though, I am no mechanic. I greatly appreciate the help guys!

jakestdi

TDI
2001 & 2006 jetta tdi
I have the same problem and I am trying to decide weather to attempt to repair it or swap it out with a used one. I have read everything I can and really cant decide which way to go. What was your outcome with the dealer? Thanks

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to post the update. Sorry guys! The dealer checked it out and said that it is grinding internally and that VW doesn't allow them to tear into the DSG's and the only option with them would be to get a replacement at $3800 bucks!!! I just had to pay an hour of service. I am also undecided on what to do. I found a place about 4 hours from me in PA that has rebuilt ones with a recondition mechatronics and a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty for 2595 or one with a new mechatronics for 3100. Supposedly he said they upgraded some of the parts that are known to fail in the DSG. I will probably end up going with that because the guy really sounds like he knows what he's talking about and it has a warranty.

jakestdi

TDI
2001 & 2006 jetta tdi
God luck. I am leaning towards a used one. Can be found for around a thousand. Thanks

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I forgot to post the update. Sorry guys! The dealer checked it out and said that it is grinding internally and that VW doesn't allow them to tear into the DSG's and the only option with them would be to get a replacement at $3800 bucks!!! I just had to pay an hour of service. I am also undecided on what to do. I found a place about 4 hours from me in PA that has rebuilt ones with a recondition mechatronics and a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty for 2595 or one with a new mechatronics for 3100. Supposedly he said they upgraded some of the parts that are known to fail in the DSG. I will probably end up going with that because the guy really sounds like he knows what he's talking about and it has a warranty.
VW Dealership original DSG Replacement is the way to go.