Mickey Filling? Where is my beloved button?

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
My NB had The Button, and I could fill the tank all the way to the top of the neck. Got an extra 100+ miles out of a tank that way.

Any tricks to achieve bladder-busting, UTI-inducing amounts of fuel in the tank with the 2015 Passat? Or I'm I just going to have to stop and pee, for crying out loud?

-mickey

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You have to stop. TDIs haven't had expansion tanks you could fill since '06.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My NB had The Button, and I could fill the tank all the way to the top of the neck. Got an extra 100+ miles out of a tank that way.
Any tricks to achieve bladder-busting, UTI-inducing amounts of fuel in the tank with the 2015 Passat? Or I'm I just going to have to stop and pee, for crying out loud?
-mickey
Just let the pump do the fill and after it shuts off. then manually fill the rest right to the top of the filler neck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Passat takes a long time to trickle in to see fuel, the angle to the filler neck is a lot more shallower than my old Jetta.

I've filled up until I saw fuel, then kept dribbling it in, for another 3-5 minutes, it takes another half gallon or so from the first time you see fuel.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The modern tanks have an auto-vent that activates when you remove the nozzle. You can pump in an extra half gallon or so if you remove the nozzle and pump slowly. Gone are the days of the vent button that got activated when you screwed on the fuel cap.

I've also found that it's easier to top off if you leave the engine running while filling. Of course, that's on a 2012... I have no idea if the 2015 is the same or not.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
IIRC, counter-intuitively, car nose UP and not down, at least on the 12-14. Can't imagine they changed the weird fuel fill neck on the 2015s.
Not worth the time, IMHO, nor the risk of UTI:eek::eek::eek:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
When the pump shuts off I can get up to 1 more gallon in *but* it is not always possible to do this - depends on the pump used / increases risk of overfilling. The most reliable method is to add half a gallon after shut off as I've found doing so works consistently with all pumps I've encountered thus far.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I really don't see the point of brimming the tank/filler neck other than to try to get the most accurate hand calculated fuel consumption figures. My bladder is bursting long before the 500+ miles I get on a tank of fuel.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Unless you live right next door to the filling station, by the time you get home some of it will have gone down anyway.

I fill right to the top every time for accuracy in my calculations. Some pumps are a lot easier to do that with than some others.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I really don't see the point of brimming the tank/filler neck other than to try to get the most accurate hand calculated fuel consumption figures. My bladder is bursting long before the 500+ miles I get on a tank of fuel.
That's the only reason I do it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been driving the '12 Passat

Filled up last Thrusday, filled up today, 755 miles 16.2 gallons.

Pump auto shut off at 15.1 gallons.

Sadly the MDF said I only had 20 miles to go. I know this was a long standing issue with the car.

I haven't pushed the '15 that far to see if its still an issue

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
That's the only reason I do it.
And how does that make your world and your life better? It's just OCD and they do have medication for that. There are many more things in life than that to be to be concerned about than the most accurate calculation of fuel economy. Basically when you determine what it is it really doesn't matter anymore because standing at the pump and dribbling in every last drop of fuel is just a waste of time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When the jetta door locks stopped working on all but 1 rear door. I repeatedly unlocked the doors 2-4 times while walking to the car to make sure I wouldn't set off the car alarm when opening and unlocked door with the alarm set.

I knew I only needed to unlock the door once, but I was burned 3-5 times setting off the alarm.

OCD is fun stuff.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
And how does that make your world and your life better? It's just OCD and they do have medication for that. There are many more things in life than that to be to be concerned about than the most accurate calculation of fuel economy. Basically when you determine what it is it really doesn't matter anymore because standing at the pump and dribbling in every last drop of fuel is just a waste of time.
I appreciate your concern for my idiosyncrasies. I can assure you that the entire process adds no more than 60 seconds to the total time it takes to fill the car... less time than it probably took you to make that post. :rolleyes:

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Filling up

IIRC, counter-intuitively, car nose UP and not down, at least on the 12-14. Can't imagine they changed the weird fuel fill neck on the 2015s.
Not worth the time, IMHO, nor the risk of UTI:eek::eek::eek:
I have found the same thing. Nose up helps. When I first got the car I'd fill it up to the first click off and stop but it bugged me that the gas gauge was down an 1/8 from full right from the start. Then I tried a REALLY slow gentle fill and I was able fill it till full on the gauge with it full right up to the top of the neck. That was good as it extended the range to say 1300km but it took a really really long time to fill. Now I fast fill it to the first click off and pause to let the foam die down then fill with really short clicks till the neck is brimming. At 0 range on the MFI readout the most I have ever put in the 70 litre tank is 67 and more usually it is 62 to 65 litres. As far as I can tell 0 range is just as the manual states there is probably a 6- 7 litre reserve which translates to an additional 150 km of range. I don't sweat the 0 range because I know I this. Of course driving into that range raises the spectre of eventually drawing air into the system so probably good to not go to far past 0 range. That way there is enough fuel in the bottom of the tank to keep the pickup covered.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I have found the same thing. Nose up helps. When I first got the car I'd fill it up to the first click off and stop but it bugged me that the gas gauge was down an 1/8 from full right from the start. Then I tried a REALLY slow gentle fill and I was able fill it till full on the gauge with it full right up to the top of the neck. That was good as it extended the range to say 1300km but it took a really really long time to fill. Now I fast fill it to the first click off and pause to let the foam die down then fill with really short clicks till the neck is brimming. At 0 range on the MFI readout the most I have ever put in the 70 litre tank is 67 and more usually it is 62 to 65 litres. As far as I can tell 0 range is just as the manual states there is probably a 6- 7 litre reserve which translates to an additional 150 km of range. I don't sweat the 0 range because I know I this. Of course driving into that range raises the spectre of eventually drawing air into the system so probably good to not go to far past 0 range. That way there is enough fuel in the bottom of the tank to keep the pickup covered.
How much lubrication does foaming fuel provide to a hpfp?
Not much. Air is terrible lube...
I'm don't go too low.
I refuel when the low fuel light comes on... sometimes sooner if cheap or I have time.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
How much lubrication does foaming fuel provide to a hpfp?
Not much. Air is terrible lube...
I'm don't go too low.
I refuel when the low fuel light comes on... sometimes sooner if cheap or I have time.
I suspect that this is the most valuable post in this thread.

With all the fuel circulating, at a rapid rate (?), I'll bet there is substantial foaming of fuel when the tank gets near empty.

Total speculation on my part, but my OCD analysis of such things tells me I'm right. HAHA!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
In my experience the NMS Passat is as easy to top off than the older models that had the vent valve in the filler neck removed. For those that have one, the nozzle restrictor has not had any effect in filling the fuel tank up to the brim.

I do routinely top off my car up to the the very top of the filler neck. I have kept mileage logs since my first tank with my first TDI, my beloved 97 Passat.

:)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
And how does that make your world and your life better? It's just OCD and they do have medication for that.
Whenever I fill the cars I always fill "to the brim" - as 'dub noted, how else will you get an accurate fuel economy calculation?

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the Alltrack I've given up tracking MPG tank per tank as it has the evap system and don't want to brim it.

A piece of me is missing each time I fill up, knowing that I'm not getting an accurate fill to calculate actual miles/gallon.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Gasoline is different... it doesn't foam up like diesel, so waiting for the pump to click off is a much more consistent measurement.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gasoline is different... it doesn't foam up like diesel, so waiting for the pump to click off is a much more consistent measurement.
Yeah but it clicks off, but I know there's still room!