Hpfp

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is there any other way to tell if my HPFP is done other than metal in my filter

Remove the fuel metering valve on top of the HPFP (2 torx screws, IIRC) and look into the hole and at the screen at the bottom of the valve. If there are lots of metal shavings in the screen, your HPFP has self destructed.

Have Fun!

Don

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
ouch. hpfp and all injectors and the fuel lines. did you have a 1 micron filter in the injector return line? it might be worth cp3 conversion

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yeah some have converted the cp4 for the cp3. not sure what all is required to do it. But if your hpfp is dead, you would have to replace it anyway. Not sure if you could have the injectors rebuilt also.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There seems to be less reports of failures for the 14 and 15 models. We know that VW/Bosch has changed the HPFP at least 4 times due to the letter at the end of the model number but no one really knows what changed and if the new pumps are that much better. The biggest thing is that if you had a faiure, make sure everything in the fuel system is clean as a whistle before you drop that new pump in. There have been horror stories of dealers ruining new pumps that way.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I thought the last major changes to the fuel pump were in 2012 or so, they changed some internal coatings. There were less built in 2014 before they switched to the EA288, so that might contribute to the lower numbers.

As for the CP4 in the EA288, I think the pressure is right about the same, different injectors though....solenoid in the 288.