My 2012 Jetta wagon only getting ~31 mpg

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Although I "can" get over 50mpg on long controlled trips I still only get 38 mixed (which is over epa rating). Assuming your 34 mpg is average, maybe minimal constant freeway speed?, mostly around town?, a/c?, DSG? That is on track. These cars have proven themselves over the epa ratings IMO. I'm not familiar with reading how full you DPF is but if it is blocked it will effect power/mpg...?

My old Passat had not only instantaneous mpg but held a more realistic average mpg because it did NOT reset after the ignition was off for 2 hrs.+- as the JSW does, it was manual "whenever" reset. Although on the JSW if I start with a full tank, get the high mpg then fill-up the MFP matches very close.
Speed has been roughly 70-75 for about 22 miles with a couple of traffic lights in there, then 3 miles of stop and go. A/C on, usually low. Yes to DSG. If that sounds normal, then I’m all good. I figure it probably is as all of those things add up to lower mpgs.

As for the computer average reset, if you hit the “ok” on that screen, it brings up “avg mpg 2.” That one doesn’t reset after long ignition off periods (you have to do it manually).

former520

TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen
Speed has been roughly 70-75 for about 22 miles with a couple of traffic lights in there, then 3 miles of stop and go. A/C on, usually low. Yes to DSG. If that sounds normal, then I’m all good. I figure it probably is as all of those things add up to lower mpgs.
As for the computer average reset, if you hit the “ok” on that screen, it brings up “avg mpg 2.” That one doesn’t reset after long ignition off periods (you have to do it manually).

My '12 JSW has the DSG, 225/45 17 wheels. I watch both MPG 1 and 2. My lifetime (~6k since purchase) is at 36.7 per MPG2. I have not been logging each tank for my own lifetime, but I would guess around 34. The new window sticker was 32 & 39, so I am right in line.

Does anyone else get heavy buffeting at the windshield around 72-78 mph? I can hear and feel it and can't help but think it is hurting mileage. Car is bone stock in and out.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
41.3mpg on my last tank 95% of which was all highway.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Averaging 110km/hr (70mph), A/C on sparingly in the afternoons, no stops but climbed 2 mountain passes.