Should I buy the Touareg?

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
HID’s? Having owned 2 Touaregs and driven several others, personally I would get hung up on buying one with rather than without.
If the Touareg your looking at has halogens then it most likely does NOT have:
1- leather seats but rather V-tex, which is another way of saying plastic with holes in it. For what it cost to buy a Touareg should not have to settle for parking your backside on plastic.
2- heated steering wheel. Really like this, could certainly live without it, but it sure makes the daily winter commute more pleasant.

I’ve found the HID’s to be far superior to the halogens. From spring thru summer often experience dense fog on road ways in evenings up this way; much better vis with the HID’s, less back scatter reflections and can utilize hi beam in denser fog than with halogens.
A halogen reflector with anything other than a halogen bulb in it is very offensive (and often dangerous) to oncoming cars and anyone who is being followed.

Just my spoiled American 1st world opinion.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
A diesel Cayenne with air suspension is a unicorn in US. If I was looking for a diesel German SUV I would pick X5 35d F15. No post-fix bs, engine, transmission, interior, technology are way better in X5 even compared to a Cayenne not to mention Treg.

I have both an X5 and a Cayenne.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
A diesel Cayenne with air suspension is a unicorn in US. If I was looking for a diesel German SUV I would pick X5 35d F15. No post-fix bs, engine, transmission, interior, technology are way better in X5 even compared to a Cayenne not to mention Treg.

I have both an X5 and a Cayenne.

My neighbor bought a diesel X5 and has had a recurring nightmare when it randomly decides not to start due to a balky switch that has been replaced multiple times. To each their own.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
I personally had 2 X5 35d - E70 and F15. Never had any major issues.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Every car is different.I mean the same models. I have been fortunate to have had 2 TREGs and no serious issues, you will hear horror stories from some with the same model. Buy if you have the ability to fix things if they break, better yet buy one you like and get a 5-10 yr extended warranty. It will be the best 3000 bucks you can spend on an expensive German car. BTW a 2016 fixed Touareg which was never registered until the fix has a new car warranty and 100,000mile 10yr warranty on the emissions and drive train.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I just bought a '16 that wasn't registered until '18 and the dealer apparently put 20k on it waiting for the fix to happen...so it looks like I'll have a warranty until 2028 and 120k mi.

Hope I don't need it.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Yes!!! You should get one, especially now that VW is releasing the bought back TDIs with the "emissions fix". You can get a "fixed" TDI fresh from VW at VW dealerships. Just tell them specifically what you want, and they can get 'em.

Mine gets a phenomenal 33-35 MPG on the highway, which means it has an over 800 mile range with its large tank. :D

I got one literally like new inside & out, a one owner Touareg TDI Sport w/only 80K miles for $15,800.

Plus, these have a special emission warranty for 10 years and 120,000 on them, including a couple extra items that are not normally covered under emissions warranty.

I got mine 3 days ago, and the next day, when I had reached around 250 miles, the Check Engine Light came on! I read it with my scanner, and it had a P20EE code, meaning it is putting out excessive NOx, due to either a fault sensor or DEF pump is not working properly. Does not affect performance at all. Will take to VW when it is convenient.

Photo here: https://i.imgur.com/hf8oEh6.jpg

Carpe Vinum

TDI
Touareg TDI execline 2015
Hello to all. My last Diesel, an MB ML350 Bluetec, just totaled itself by blowing up its engine. When I bought it had wanted a Touareg, but they were scarce to come by due to the recall, and out of my price range.
Am seriously considering the 3.0 Touareg and test drove a 2013 with 56k miles last night. Now they are in my price range. Solid. It has a warranty on some items through 100k and an additional 4 year/48k warranty on exhaust/drievtrain/turbo/other items resulting from the recall, which warranty kicked in in October 2018.
So things look good from the warranty perspective. I feel I got burned with the Benz, as of course after I bought it, I found out on the MB forums that the Bluetec 3.0 would occasionally blow up for no apparent reason. Mine threw a rod through the oil pan at 102k which should never happen with a Benz other than due to a manufacturing or assembly defect. But, my mechanic advised he knew of a few instances of this. He strongly steered me away from BMW X5s, so as far as diesel SUVs that leaves the Touareg.
I appreciate any comments from 3.0 TDi Touareg owners as to their experiences and comments regarding any issues with these vehices. Long ago I used to drive B3/B4 TDis and apart from window regulators, they were tough as a bag of hammers. That was my impression of Mercedes diesels also until my ML350 self destructed despite impeccable maintenance. We really liked the Touareg and want something diesel that will last, Any/all comments appreciated.
Thanks,
T.Rae
trae: I'm very late to this conversation. Did you get a Touareg TDI or other VAG diesel?

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Yes!!! You should get one, especially now that VW is releasing the bought back TDIs with the "emissions fix". You can get a "fixed" TDI fresh from VW at VW dealerships. Just tell them specifically what you want, and they can get 'em.

You sure this is true? I called a dealer and he basically laughed at me about the idea of ordering a recalled car, and said it was impossible for them to choose what options, colors, etc. they will get.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
You sure this is true? I called a dealer and he basically laughed at me about the idea of ordering a recalled car, and said it was impossible for them to choose what options, colors, etc. they will get.
They may not be able to order a specific exact one, but the could take your number and call you when they get one close to what you are looking for. At least that is what my local dealer did. Took my number about 4 days ago, but have not heard anything yet. Might take a while. But good things come to those who wait!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They absolutely can choose. They have access to an auction site where cars available for sale are posted daily. They can't request a car, but they can watch for and bid on a vehicle that meets your criteria. That's how I got my '15 Passat. They just have to want to be bothered to do it.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
They absolutely can choose. They have access to an auction site where cars available for sale are posted daily. They can't request a car, but they can watch for and bid on a vehicle that meets your criteria. That's how I got my '15 Passat. They just have to want to be bothered to do it.
Seems like the VW dealers are getting them DIRECTLY from VW Corporate. No middleman auction involved.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Seems like the VW dealers are getting them DIRECTLY from VW Corporate. No middleman auction involved.
Nope, they go through the auction sites just like everything else. Which is why so many are ending up on can lots all over the country. The dealers early on were offered to bid first, but that era has since passed by. Sloppy Seconds are mostly what is left. And to be honest, from what I have seen, it is really hit or miss as to the condition of these cars. Most are fine, some are really rough.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Nope, they go through the auction sites just like everything else. Which is why so many are ending up on can lots all over the country. The dealers early on were offered to bid first, but that era has since passed by. Sloppy Seconds are mostly what is left. And to be honest, from what I have seen, it is really hit or miss as to the condition of these cars. Most are fine, some are really rough.
Well my one owner, 2012 w/80K miles it literally in like new condition inside and out. I did pay $15,800 though.

oilhammer

TDI
Well my one owner, 2012 w/80K miles it literally in like new condition inside and out. I did pay $15,800 though.

The car pictured in the linked thread looked like new on top and in the interior, too. But underneath told a VERY different story. Which is why it pays to look the car over thoroughly.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497194

And that car was also a 2012, one owner, with only 62k miles on the clock.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
The car pictured in the linked thread looked like new on top and in the interior, too. But underneath told a VERY different story. Which is why it pays to look the car over thoroughly.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497194

And that car was also a 2012, one owner, with only 62k miles on the clock.
That's why I MADE SURE the one I got was NOT exposed to salted roads! It spent its entire life in San Antonio. :D

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI

I called a few more VW dealerships today seeing if they could find a 09-10 TDI Treg with air suspension... they all acted like I was a crazy person for even suggesting this idea. I'm guessing there just isn't enough money involved to be worth their time.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
I called a few more VW dealerships today seeing if they could find a 09-10 TDI Treg with air suspension... they all acted like I was a crazy person for even suggesting this idea. I'm guessing there just isn't enough money involved to be worth their time.
Air suspension is just more things to go wrong!

We had a BMW X5 w/ air suspension, and it literally is no smoother of a ride than our 2102 Touareg w/o it.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Air suspension is just more things to go wrong!

I'd use a Touareg as a softroader/expedition vehicle of sorts... the air suspension is to get enough clearance to avoid undercarriage damage. Steel would be fine for me if I could find a good skid plate instead, it seems I'll go that route since the air suspension is impossible to find.

BMWs tend to have very stiff shocks, so I'm not surprised the BMW wasn't smoother than a Touareg, but I'd bet the air Touareg is smoother.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
I'd use a Touareg as a softroader/expedition vehicle of sorts... the air suspension is to get enough clearance to avoid undercarriage damage. Steel would be fine for me if I could find a good skid plate instead, it seems I'll go that route since the air suspension is impossible to find.

BMWs tend to have very stiff shocks, so I'm not surprised the BMW wasn't smoother than a Touareg, but I'd bet the air Touareg is smoother.
I saw a video on a BMW sedan where the air suspension was adjustable (you could raise or lower the body) with a simple switch on the console, but the X5 was NOT.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I saw a video on a BMW sedan where the air suspension was adjustable (you could raise or lower the body) with a simple switch on the console, but the X5 was NOT.
Check out this video... the Touareg w/ air suspension has more ground clearance than a Jeep Wrangler at max height, and can also get about as low as a Golf when parked to make it easy to load/unload.

"We're SHOCKED And Surprised By How Our Cheap VW Touareg Performed Off-Road!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7aKkKOIvbQ

Unfortunately, it seems like it's near impossible to find a Touareg diesel w/ air suspension that has the V6, only the V10 models commonly have it. They supposedly were sold, but for example I can't find a single one in the entire USA right now on AutoTrader. The V10 is really a totally different car from what I hear, it's an exotic supercar loaded with outrageous features from Webasto heaters to powerful onboard air to diff locks vs a relatively simple practical family SUV in the V6 models.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Air suspension is an almost guaranteed failure point. No matter what it's on. Which is why so many conversion kits exist.

I have a 2001 Audi Allroad that over the years I have replaced at least 12 air springs. At least the replacements are available in the aftermarket, and cost a lot less, and in some cases have a pretty generous warranty.

Lots of LS400s got scrapped due to bad air suspension. I do not doubt its ability to provide a nice dynamic ride and features not available with coil springs. But know that you'll have to pay for it in the long run.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
For some reason, the air suspension in Touaregs/Q7/Cayennes seem to be surprisingly reliable. Plenty of models with lots of miles on them still clicking along just fine. Some might need the occasional pump rebuild and to replace the drier, replace the occasional o ring, but overall, the bags themselves are pretty stout.

If you want a V6 with air suspension, they only were offered in North America in 2009-2010 models, and they were rarely optioned with it.

Though I did spot 2 of them on the local Craigslist last week, most weeks I won't see one. They do exist, just in very small numbers.

Here's one: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/fremont-2010-volkswagen-touareg-v6-tdi/6944882153.html

You can clearly see the dial on the passenger side instead of the odd round hole, meaning it has the air suspension.

Most of them have the empty round hole there where the air suspension knob would go.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
And, if you do genuinely off road, 2010 was the last model year you could get the low gear transfer case as well if I'm not mistaken.

So, while the early engines are less powerful and with the 6 speed transmission, less efficient, they are going to have better off road potential, especially equipped with the air suspension.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
And, if you do genuinely off road, 2010 was the last model year you could get the low gear transfer case as well if I'm not mistaken.
So, while the early engines are less powerful and with the 6 speed transmission, less efficient, they are going to have better off road potential, especially equipped with the air suspension.
In other words, "you can't have your cake and eat it too". :D

Matt-98AHU

TDI
In other words, "you can't have your cake and eat it too". :D
In our market, no, not really. Europe, as always, gets all the good stuff.

Though there is a guy on Touareg Club from Canada who has a later 8 speed, 240 hp V6 TDI Touareg and he went through the trouble of retrofitting the factory air suspension to it. It was offered in Europe on those.

And here in the U.S., the Cayenne could be equipped with it as well and most of the parts are identical to what the Touareg uses, but the interiors are different enough that the control dials are not going to work. But you can at least order the correct dial for the later Touareg from Europe to complete the swap.

Where there's a will, there's a way, but it is an insane amount of time in research, wiring, routing air hoses etc.

Wheels57

TDI
2010 VW Jetta
When you go to change the battery. You won't find it. Its under the carpet with no access. You need to cut the carpet to access the battery. You would think German engineering would have that figured out.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
When you go to change the battery. You won't find it. Its under the carpet with no access. You need to cut the carpet to access the battery. You would think German engineering would have that figured out.
Wait what??

All you do is remove the seat rail protectors from the rear, remove the plastic covers at the front base of the seat that hide the two bolts securing the seat frame at the front, then remove those two bolts.

Move the seat forward and seat back upright, tilt the whole seat back, boom, there's the battery.

There's no carpet cutting required, who in the hell said that?

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Corvette with V10TDI ,2004 (2)V10TDI’s
Wait what??
All you do is remove the seat rail protectors from the rear, remove the plastic covers at the front base of the seat that hide the two bolts securing the seat frame at the front, then remove those two bolts.
Move the seat forward and seat back upright, tilt the whole seat back, boom, there's the battery.
There's no carpet cutting required, who in the hell said that?
That is what you have to do on a new Cayenne GTS (as we own one). Most likely it is the same with the 2011 and up Touareg? Lost the tilt feature also and now have to unbolt all four points.