My 2000 VW Jetta TDI automatic transmission problems.

TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Okay so I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with 188,866 miles with an automatic transmission. The engine and transmission is all original and never been replaced and its getting up there when the transmission is going wacko. After I shift into 4th gear (obviously it has nowhere else to go) it jumps like 200 rpms as if I keep going over bumps in the road and I'm not. Should I replace my transmission fluid? That also has never been changed. Or I did find an automatic transmission that came from a 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L (gas) with only 37,000 miles. Or should I find a rebuild kit? And if I do a rebuild kit which kits are the best? I need help which one should I do?!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You did not give us much to go on, so I'll throw some in this thread.

First, that 01M transmission is a notorious weak spot. If you got 188k out of it, you did good.

Second, while I do replace a crap-ton of 01Ms, I also do make certain that it is indeed an inner transmission mechanical failure before I recommend the customer spend a LOT of money for a replacement. That includes checking the TCM for DTCs, checking the ATF level and condition, etc. Some times things can be fixed for a relatively modest amount, but right now you'll need to get a scan tool and do some basic quick checks first.

I would NOT recommend trying to rebuild it, unless you like yanking it in and out over and over again just for fun.

TDI

First, that 01M transmission is a notorious weak spot. If you got 188k out of it, you did good.

Second, while I do replace a crap-ton of 01Ms, I also do make certain that it is indeed an inner transmission mechanical failure before I recommend the customer spend a LOT of money for a replacement. That includes checking the TCM for DTCs, checking the ATF level and condition, etc. Some times things can be fixed for a relatively modest amount, but right now you'll need to get a scan tool and do some basic quick checks first.

I would NOT recommend trying to rebuild it, unless you like yanking it in and out over and over again just for fun.

Oh it's not even close to being done yet. It's running still I'm just preparing cause I'd rather have a backup tranny instead of rolling onto the side of the road and then out $125 for a towing fee. Where can I find a scan tool and how much are they?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I understand cmadtmifybo623's frustration.......I've had the same experiences as well. I believe he was getting the answers he needed (maybe not what he wanted to hear) from Oilhammer.

Oilhammer is more than a guru ...... and, he provided an excellent response! The OP, in his best guess, responded by saying it (tranny)....."it's not even getting close to being done yet" (close to going kaput). Well, at 188k miles, it is a SWAG (Scientific Will Arse Guess) as to whether or not it is about to go kaput. But, we should all see his point,,,,, he knows one day in the future (maybe sooner than later) his 01M tranny is going to fail ...... he was searching for answers to his options (and maybe more options).

Lastly, I do believe he is in the right Forum for such a question!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Now, Oilhammer ........ don't be difficult to 'em newbs:D

We all want quick answers to our questions ........ shoot, why use the search function when a guru might be lurking on-line!:D

One of my customers, who also lurks here, said once to me "You know, you are like the TDI Superman: 'I'm always around Lois, I'm always around.' " :)

I will be taking a few days off, though, after today.

TDI
Okay. Still no answers to my question. I thought I posed a question not "talk however you want here" thread. Go talk somewhere else cause clearly no one knows anything here.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well if you believe no one knows anything here then you should go buy whatever transmission you want from anyone you want without doing any diagnostic work.

There are smart people here with lots more experience than you but of course you can ignore them and do what you want but don't complain about it.

JBTech

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 speed
Well if you believe no one knows anything here then you should go buy whatever transmission you want from anyone you want without doing any diagnostic work.

There are smart people here with lots more experience than you but of course you can ignore them and do what you want but don't complain about it.

+1,000!

You got an accurate answer from one of the very knowledgeable gurus on this site.
Feel free to post your car in the For Sale section, or listen, your choice!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The only question unanswered is where to get a scan tool. A simple search will reveal that Ross-Tech is the best choice. But you're going to have to learn how to read and interpret the results so refer to the excellent posts by CoolAirVW on that subject.

Oh, and you are about 100,000 miles past due for a fluid change. :eek:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The OP got good advice here (considering how he worded his introductry post) but in my opinion has chosen to ignore it!

Last edited:

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
By proxy: 98 Beetle tdi, 01 Golf tdi, 03 Jetta tdi, 03Golf tdi
Yes, there is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience here. It is unfortunate that members get worn down answering the same question over and over. In a perfect world people would use the search function and knowlegeable members would count to ten before typing.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Nothing like a newbie with an attitude. Looking for free advice, got said advice from one of the best sources of knowledge on the site, then turns and disses him! :mad:

relsen16

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
I also am having the same problem. Could it be as simple as changing the transmission fluid or am I going to have to get a new trany. My pocket only go so deep just looking for the steps to take to find out the problem. I have a 2002 vw jetta with 1.9l tdi automatic with 257××× on it

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
As above, get it scanned to look for codes, that is the very first place to start.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Well Miss Teen jetta driver. A VCDS scanner from Ross-tech will set you back $250 more or less, or you could have it scanned by someone who has one. Absent a scan probably the best bet would be a filter and fluid change. You can find out how to do that if you would like to tackle it yourself here....http://www.kansascitytdi.com/01m faq.htm
My suggestion would be to do two fluid and filter changes a couple of weeks apart. This gets most of the old fluid out and can breathe new life into a very tired transmission. Or you could spend your weekend doing a five speed swap. By the way each fluid change will cost about $100.
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2415

Ven99

TDI
VW Bora 2000 1.9TDI

So how to maintain 01M Transmissions ?
Do we have to change the fluid periodically ?
Or, is there anything else we can be careful while we drive ?

Thanks