New Baby Little Red

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
Heading out this morning to pickup my newly aquired 2002 Golf TDI. My other baby is my 2001 Yellow TDI Beetle. My current TDI is just falling apart. Runs great still but the interior is shot to hell and a hand basket and the outside is peeling and in a couple spots rusting. The new Red Sport Golf TDI has a bad head and great body and interior. Well, at least much better than the Bug. My intention is to swap out engines. Reason for that instead of just doing the head is because my current TDI has a very well built engine thanks to all here in this forum. It has larger injectors, stealth pipe, Malone chip extra boost and a G60 single mass flywheel with stage II pressure plate and performance clutch disk. Swap out the engines then I hope to do the same to the short block and build up a super kick ass diesel for Little Red like it should have. Its been a long time since posting so I will have to get acquainted with the layout and search for some things. I still have all my tools from when I did the work on the Yellow Bug and my VagCom still works just fine. Time to break out the equipment as work will commence right away. I will keep a running record of photo, comments and video for this swap out and build. I have since I did all the work for the Yellow Bug fallen in to the Electric Conversion Crowd and have build three electric vehicles. Two sold and one is left being worked on as well. I have two more electric conversions coming. But those are a different story. Still love the TDI and continue to use mine. My children all got a lot of use from the Bug and beat the hell out of it but that was the intended purpose when I got it. I knew they would need to borrow the vehicle over time and they did. It was there for them any time they needed. I have had it back for some time now and drive it daily.
Question? Is Pete from Czech Republic still around selling and shipping parts? I know Malone is still providing chip tunes. I hope.
Pete :)

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been looking for the past week about information on this color coordinated TDI. I have seen them like this for the gasoline versions of the Beetle but never in TDI. Since my searches were in vain I texted the guy Im getting this from today and he says the back of the car says GTI TDI. So that tells me its a TDI in GTI clothing, Nice. So I began searching some more. I am getting that the GTI TDI vs the GT TDI is the bells and whistles version. I am also seeing that maybe the GTI TDI also has a more powerful engine vs the stock TDI. I have been seeing anywhere from 115 to 150. Not exactly sure. Hoping someone here can let me know because that will determine what I do for the engine. If it is in fact a factory 150hp engine I'll just remove the head and replace that and keep all the other components in play and then get another Malory Tune for the beastie.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch
Pete :)

PS. I'll continue my searching. Can't wait till the new kid is home.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you are wondering what was available from VW for the US in TDI clothing - the answer is not much. No GT, GTI, no 110, 130, 150 hp versions, no super duper seats or anything else. They had available the GL and GLS versions. A few wheels. Maybe a moon roof, or not. A few 2-doors in Golfs. After that, the options list gets pretty short.

So for whatever else you have or don't have, you're either on your own, or you have what someone else did on their own nickel. That can be good or bad, and you are the judge.

Cheers,

PH

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are wondering what was available from VW for the US in TDI clothing - the answer is not much. No GT, GTI, no 110, 130, 150 hp versions, no super duper seats or anything else. They had available the GL and GLS versions. A few wheels. Maybe a moon roof, or not. A few 2-doors in Golfs. After that, the options list gets pretty short.

So for whatever else you have or don't have, you're either on your own, or you have what someone else did on their own nickel. That can be good or bad, and you are the judge.

Cheers,

PH
Or an imported. Could be someone else did the coordination but not likely. Looks rather unique to the US as far as Golfs in general let alone the TDI. Usually the US has rather bland vehicles. Hoping to find it a genuine GTI TDI in Color Coordinated Garb. Other than that I only purchased this because I need a vehicle that is not as far gone body wise as my current TDI Beetle.

It has factory color coordinated colors and the GTI TDI labels on the rear of the vehicle. I'll dig more.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What's the VIN? I can run it and tell you a little more about the car. I'm betting that someone put a GTI badge on it after the tune and mods. And swapped in a leather interior (at least it looks leather in the photo) as Golf TDIs didn't come with leather in North America.

I recently rescued a '99.5 Golf TDI from being donated. Lots of work and $$ later it looks pretty good, runs great.

BTW, Petr from the Czech republic has been out of this business for about 10 years, sadly. I bought my first PD150 intake from him.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
What's the VIN? I can run it and tell you a little more about the car. I'm betting that someone put a GTI badge on it after the tune and mods. And swapped in a leather interior (at least it looks leather in the photo) as Golf TDIs didn't come with leather in North America.

I recently rescued a '99.5 Golf TDI from being donated. Lots of work and $$ later it looks pretty good, runs great.

BTW, Petr from the Czech republic has been out of this business for about 10 years, sadly. I bought my first PD150 intake from him.
Sorry to hear the news about Petr. He sold me a great long block. So, Im home with the beastie. Here is the VIN: 9BWGP61J424055086

I was thinking that it was a color coordinated add on and the GTI badge added later too. I was also thinking that a performance Golf is pretty much a 2 door but I could be wrong. So seems to be just normal Golf TDI with some fancy clothing. Don't know if this one had a tune. Maybe we will figure that one out. The timing belt is still solidly in place yet it has one valve destroyed and the cam lobe too. So the cam is for sure shot. Will check the piston in a couple days. So it has a leaky sun roof so that will need to be fixed. Interior looks OK. I think a new carpet kit is in order.

It is amazing how much room there is under the hood to work on the engine compared to the Beetle. That Beetle engine is just too damn tight. I'll need to take the engine out and clean it up too. Its a little grimy. I'll hang on to all the possible components from the Beetle for spare parts if I will need them later down the road. Maybe not but I have room in the corner for the parts.

So my build begins. Has a little clear coating coming off the roof line. I really don't like clear coat when it peals off. Makes it look terrible ugly in that spot.

Will need to do some vag-com logs for Malone for a new tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's a 2002 Golf, US market car, assembled in Brazil March 17, 2002. GLS package, but no heated seats.