Add Oil Temperature Sensor to EA189?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I think that would be some bad ju-ju. If you turned off regens, soot would continue to accumulate in the DPF and you could go easily beyond the point where a regen wouldn't be possible. I'll bet unplugging the exhaust butterfly valve and ASV might do the trick though.

I would agree that the idea of regens is some pretty boneheaded engineering that was inflicted upon us by the EPA. Does anyone have actual numbers on how much regens reduce emissions? I tried to correlate the emissions on my BRM as compared to the 2009 through the 2014 CR's and couldn't find any meaningful data. I think they just want us to keep drinking the "climate change" Kool-Aid.

NatGeo had a photograph of a Polar Bear dying of natural causes and the photographer attributed it's condition to "Climate Change". When NatGeo published a retraction, the photographer stated that what was photographed wasn't technically caused by climate change, but does represent what climate change can do. Really? People at the EPA with this mindset are apparently writing emission standard's legislation.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
We had a lot of issues with municipal trucks, lots of stop and go. Regens did not always happen sufficently. Eventually derating to a point where a regen could not be forced and if the proper software was not available, the trucks would have to be sent to the dealer. Also DPF's would have to be removed and cleaned.
A whole different animal, but the systems are all similar and very touchy as far as following proper operation and maintenance. I lean towards deleting, but know circumstances often dictate otherwise.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is there a way to defeat regen, temporarily? So, turn it off for the duration of an event, then turn it back on after?

Yep. Remove the DPF, tune the engine, then put the DPF back on, and return the software to stock. You won't want to do that. Trust me.

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Yep. Remove the DPF, tune the engine, then put the DPF back on, and return the software to stock. You won't want to do that. Trust me.
Seems like there ought to be a way to just flash a tune with a feature allowing regen defeat, and possibly forcing regen, as well. Defeat it before a session, force it at the end during cooldown.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Seems like there ought to be a way to just flash a tune with a feature allowing regen defeat, and possibly forcing regen, as well. Defeat it before a session, force it at the end during cooldown.
You could basically do that by purchasing a flashzilla with a delete tune. I would think a spirited track session ought to heat up the dpf enough to cook off the soot without active regens. Then you could flash back to stock for the drive home.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The exhaust is ALWAYS going through the DPF. So without regens, it will soot up. Since track use is going to increase the soot level, disabling its ability to regen is not a good idea. It isn't like you can just put the soot on hold for a while.

There are software maps that disable the EGR, and limit fueling, so the engine runs leaner, so less soot is produced, but not really any more power, that will extend the period between DPF regens (which is exactly the opposite of the what the Dieselgate "fix" does), but all the equipment is still intact.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, my thinking was that an aggressive track session would basically be one long passive regen. There'd be more soot produced for sure, so it might not be an experiment worth trying :) .

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You said oil gets hot before the coolant. That is wrong. I could explain it to you, but it isn't worth the keystrokes.
You must not have read my next post about that!

You can’t have coolant and oil at different temperatures once the car has been running for a few minutes due to the oil / coolant heat exchanger.
DURRR.
You gata give me more credit than that.
I was talking about how oil "warms up" to an operating temperature based on viscosity MUCH faster than the coolant temp does in the same regard to heat capacity of the metal internal parts and block. You don’t want to thrash on cold metal parts.
The point of this thread was about oil temps and the use of a monitoring gauge and thus my point is 100% valid on how temperature is a direct relationship of pressure. PV=NrT, come on now guys, Chem 101 here!
Oil is rated in temperature weights as I know you know this already so not worth explaining. The point is that as soon as the oil gets moving, as long as it’s in its lifespan of expectable weight and pressure vs viscosity ranges, its DEFINATLY gets "hotter" or "warmed up" faster than the coolant system and engine internals.
Please read more before you criticize my knowledge on engines and mechanical sciences.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
C'mon Mongler, you already admitted that you were wrong about the oil coming up to temp "WAY" quicker than coolant. Just leave it at that. No need to babble on senselessly about relationships between temp and pressure etc.- that has absolutely no bearing here.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Considering that PV=nrT is the universal *GAS* law, and oil isn't a gas makes it even more comical . . . that doesn't apply to incompressable liquids, like, say, oil . . . . .

And the assumption that heat transfer from oil to coolant in instantaneous is a good one as well . . .

The coolant circuit is designed to pick up heat - cylinder water jackets, etc. The oil circuit is designed to lubricate parts in cooler parts of the engine. No huge surprise which one will heat faster . . . (at least not here . . .).