TDIFest 2010, the location is Portland, OR

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lug_Nut said:
I actually like New England better than almost anyplace I've ever been, that's why it's 'home' for me.
Yes, tonight is particularly lovely. :rolleyes:

I was planning on driving to CA in July, wonder if I could make the trip twice in one summer. Maybe flying is the best option. Hmmm.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Well by golly, West Coast at last! Way to go PDX folks. I will be there. If you all need any help let me know.
Regards,
Bruce

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
Awesome, finally one we can make it to. We even have a place to stay in Portland, friends for my wife to hang out with if she gets bored.

Lookout east coast, mid west and flyover, we can put up the numbers too. After this, TDI fest will have to alternate coast to coast.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
WOW, just read the good news! Congrats!
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

I call dibs on Justin's couch. :D

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Looking forward to it--I should organize a caravan meeting up in SLC, although I might have to head out a few days early....

Last year we drove just over 50,000 miles, back and forth across the country a few times and hitting all the lower 48 states. My point? Avoid the drive through Nebraska! (Sorry NE crowd!). My favorite route is the middle route through Denver and I-70, US-6 up to SLC, then I-15 and I-84 all the way to Portland.

Looking forward to it. So many things to do in Portland, and of course the drive through the gorge:

-BB

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
right on guys.. finally bringing it out west.. i'll bring the 40' trailer with a TDI or two.. save me some parking :D

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
well, PeterV and Tomo will be driving I'm sure....lol

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What did Lewis (or Clark?) say after traipsing through that western wasteland? "Ocean at last! Oh the joy!"
I can understand the enthusiasm of finally getting a change from the monotonous scenery they had been crossing for months.:p
BleachedBora said:
Last year we drove just over 50,000 miles, back and forth across the country a few times and hitting all the lower 48 states. My point? Avoid the drive through Nebraska! (Sorry NE crowd!).
-BB
Zippy's "NE" is in reference to New England or North East (US), not Nebraska. She might not admit it, but she's looking for validation, by proxy, of her choice to move away from the Hub of the Universe. If she can get others to make the same mistake she made, that will somehow make her error less 'wrong' because someone else has also done it.
Gaawd, I detest psychology!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
DieselOx said:
Lookout east coast, mid west and flyover, we can put up the numbers too. After this, TDI fest will have to alternate coast to coast.

We will see........It only took 10 years and a transplanted Right Coaster to get a little motivation........actually 2 right coasters......:rolleyes:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
MikeS_18 said:
well, PeterV and Tomo will be driving I'm sure....lol

wrong.......tomo will not be driving........unless a couple of Co-drivers want to go.......
Otherwise, Train or plane!

Last edited:

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
MikeS_18 said:
I'm pretty sure they were on their way to TDIFest 1987 in Chicago, IL. Or was that Shower Curtain Ring Fest?

I can handle the 3,000 miles, 46 hours, and 55 gallons of fuel (3.4 tanks) each way.
I can't handle the 4 days of vacation I'd need to take just for driving (assuming I had a co-driver or two and never stopped).
If I can make it at all, I'll be flying.

"Six bucks and my right nut says we're not landing in Chicago."

atrain85

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
Wow! West coast TDI fest! I'm so psyched! I was a little torn though, being born and raised in Chicago (U of Illinois Class of 07!). I agree, Chicago has gotten no love this year (Olympics, now this).
Portland is an awesome town though. I'll have to strap on my bicycle to the roof rack and ride around the best city in the US for biking!
Hey BleachedBora, I'm going to be attending the U of Utah next fall so I should be in the SLC area. I would love to join in on the caravan...

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
And for those who are interested in drag racing, most likely the PNW crew may have a TDI race at PIR, be we aware of that, you may want to bring your cars to the Fest.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
SWEET!!!! I may just take 2-3 weeks off and continue driving up to BC.... Oh the possibilities...

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
MAXRPM said:
And for those who are interested in drag racing, most likely the PNW crew may have a TDI race at PIR, be we aware of that, you may want to bring your cars to the Fest.
That's a negative, ghost rider. PIR is completely booked up with events that weekend. no drag races there :( ...BUT... we're working on another option with a different track, stay tuned for more details. :eek:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Lug_Nut said:
Zippy's "NE" is in reference to New England or North East (US), not Nebraska. She might not admit it, but she's looking for validation, by proxy, of her choice to move away from the Hub of the Universe. If she can get others to make the same mistake she made, that will somehow make her error less 'wrong' because someone else has also done it.
Gaawd, I detest psychology!
Off Topic:
Wow, Jon... Wow! :( not only do you "insult" my decsion to move to to the left coast but then continue to "insult" my my primary coarse of study.:eek: Gee, Thanks. I can feel the love. :p
But you see....I neither need nor seek any form of validation for my life's decisions, especially not by proxy. I'm far too direct for that. ;) I simply enjoy sharing my world with other members of the (as you so egocentrically put it) "Hub of the Universe" and beyond. That is not approval seeking behavior for an implied "error." That, my friend, is an oportunity for a mutually beneficial worldly education for some who may not always have the chance or who may be uncomfortable making the first step to begin with. :) So please, stop over analyzing, Freud, :p ;) and leave the real psychology to the experts. ;) :cool: :D

On Topic:
TDIFEst Portland! WOO HOO!
Damn I gotta work on making that logo a little smaller... sheesh!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
LOL too much... Remember I was an east coaster, gone left, and the only thing I really really miss is pizza.

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Zippy_car said:
But you see....I neither need nor seek any form of validation for my life's decisions, especially not by proxy.
Not that you need validation, but I have to jump in to say you made the correct choice. That's why I came back as I got older and wiser. No ifs, ands or buts. :D

Big shout out to you and the others for bringing the fest to our beautiful part of the country.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
oldpoopie said:
LOL too much... Remember I was an east coaster, gone left, and the only thing I really really miss is pizza.
And decent bagels you don't have to search around for. According to my husband, no decent bagels exist outside of the greater NYC area.:eek: Same goes for pizza.;)
:rolleyes:
Keli

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Just curious - Fred, are you DRIVING to the Fest this year?

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
ChippedNotBroken said:
My wife said we can drive out, but only if Montana still has "NO DAYTIME SPEED LIMIT" :eek:
Kinda sorta--I hit MT from ND and set the cruise on 115. Slowed down to 100 as I got near Billings and got pulled over. Had to post $40 bail and was on my way, did not hit my record.

This is on par with what I was told before I went through Montana, which is why I drove that fast. Just make sure you have cash on you or you will be riding with the officer into town.

As far as the US goes, best place to go fast on a public road :).