Side Mirror Swap

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Anyone out there have any experience on removing the side mirrors? My 2012 Jetta is being turned back on March 25th and I am thinking of swapping the side mirrors between that car and my 2013 GLI. The GLI came with loose glass in the mirror and a free solution is to swap them out.

Anyone out there ever remove the side mirrors? how hard is it. Passenger side. Thanks

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
I believe the GLI mirrors have a different electric plug. I was looking to replace the side vies mirrors on my 16 Jetta TSI Sport and after reading up on the replacements I determined the GLI plugs were different than non GLI mirrors. The TSI Sport has power and heated side view mirrors but not turn signal. I wanted to upgrade to mirrors with a turn signal. They are plug and play as long as you don't try to swap in a GLI mirror.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the information, me thinks that the easiest solution is to pull the loose mirror glass off and apply some epoxy to secure it. Did the same on my old Z4 when I clipped a pokey buzzard on an old country road last year. Shattered that glass.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
Used epoxy to bond the glass back on to the assembly. Problem solved.