upgraded OEM intake snorkle

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
mk3pd said:
PD150 use the same snorkel as R32 :)
I lifted the airbox from a 150 the other day and it was the same as the pd130 so how does the bigger R32 snorkle fit in the normal sized hole that it had in the lower half?
Baz

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Oh - hold on are you talking about the normal R32 snorkle? Because the discussion is actually about the DSG one.
Baz

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Bazmcc said:
Oh - hold on are you talking about the normal R32 snorkle? Because the discussion is actually about the DSG one.
Baz
The DSG R32 snorkle is bigger and is what is being discussed in this thread.

The regular R32 snorkle is about the same size as the one from a 1.8T or regular VR6.

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Bazmcc said:
I lifted the airbox from a 150 the other day and it was the same as the pd130 so how does the bigger R32 snorkle fit in the normal sized hole that it had in the lower half?
Baz
Sorry,you are right.

The DSG snorkel IS bigger,i can see it now.:D

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I have a Van Aaken Smart Box and their .205 nozzles on my Golf. Would that give me enough extra fueling to make this mod beneficial at all?

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Racer007 said:
I have a Van Aaken Smart Box and their .205 nozzles on my Golf. Would that give me enough extra fueling to make this mod beneficial at all?
I doubt it. If you have a read through the thread you'll see that benefits are small unless you're runnning a fairly large amount of bhp. Even then it's not large benefit.
Baz

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's not too bad: I have to buy all this stuff again for my Golf. I was going to go with some kind of CAI with louvers in the front fender but I know how OEM works and Jeff can tune for it. ibanix, you'll have to get a re-tune for the larger MAF: it flows more air but at a lower velocity, so the ecu will under-fuel. Lag is the result. A re-tune will fix it.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Did anyone notice a "large wooshing sound" after this upgrade? My setup has quite a bit of airnoise to it especially getting on it in the lower rpm range...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Farfromovin said:
Did anyone notice a "large wooshing sound" after this upgrade? My setup has quite a bit of airnoise to it especially getting on it in the lower rpm range...
Yes, you mean the vacuum cleaner sound?

At first, I had hard time distinguishing the intake WHOOSH from the exhaust WHOOSH, but now I can. (I added the OMI well after the exhaust work)

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
oldpoopie said:
as promised, finally I've taken pics of the trimmed battery box.
here is the view from above. You can see the snorkle along side the box, and kinda how it goes underneath.

here is the same view with the lid removed, more clearly showing the snorkle and how it tucks under the trimmed area slightly.

Here is a shot of the battery box lid. It was late, so my trimming is kinda clumsy, but it shows the area that must be removed.

And here is a shot of the lower box and the snorkle wrapping under and around. The view is from the drivers door looking forward towards the headlight. You can see where the lower box was trimmed as well.

Again, sorry it took so long to get these shots.
I am thinking of getting ahold of a full battery box and tray from a vr6 or 1.8t to see if it will not interfere... I suppose you could also mod the battery box to move it further inboard by about 1/2" to provide clearance.
Did the tdiclub picture server take a dump, or has something else happened that the images are not showing? :confused:

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
IndigoBlueWagon said:
That's not too bad: I have to buy all this stuff again for my Golf. I was going to go with some kind of CAI with louvers in the front fender but I know how OEM works and Jeff can tune for it. ibanix, you'll have to get a re-tune for the larger MAF: it flows more air but at a lower velocity, so the ecu will under-fuel. Lag is the result. A re-tune will fix it.
I don't actually have a larger MAF holder/sensor yet. After I do this, I'll have:

R32 snorkle, R32 lower airbox, stock upper airbox, stock MAF holder/sensor, stock flex pipe, and your TDIparts 2.5" OMI.

I know I'll want to go with a large MAF housing eventually, but unless I'm greatly mistaken, I'll need the $$$ PD150 flex pipe and intake pipe (OMI/TIP).

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
If you use a PD130/150 airbox lid, maf housing and intake pipe and use the pd130 MAF itself it'll work fine with no tuning needed. I've done this on my own car a while back.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
IBW
Just had Jeff install the RC6 on the NB, with the MAF delete, therefore Iwill not need the larger MAF at all, correct. Mine is unpluged and just setting there now.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
How does the ECU regulate the correct fueling with no feedback from airflow? Does your car smoke like a train now? or not?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Farfrommovin, yes, there's noticeably more intake noise. This is exaggerated by a bigger exhaust. And I managed to shift the battery to the passenger side by using two holes that were already in the tray: It moved just enough to clear the snorkel. Everything fits together, no trimming needed.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
No car does not smoke like a freight train, it is great, don't know anything about how or why you can delete the MAF , that is above my pay grade and a great question to ask Jeff or anyone else that is a whole lot smarter than I am. I just know it is a real Rocket now.
Bazmcc, I would love to get hooked up with a 150 intake, dsr airbox, intake ect. can you help?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Bazmcc said:
How does the ECU regulate the correct fueling with no feedback from airflow? Does your car smoke like a train now? or not?
My tune has MAF delete. This is great if a) your MAF gets sick, or b) you drive a rally car and the thing breaks due to the stress of racing. I think it uses things like engine RPM to predict what the MAF should be, given X volume into the motor per rev, at Y revs, it knows what you're ingesting. Or something. Trust Jeff.

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
Farfromovin said:
Funny you mention that because it sounds like Darth Vader LOL.
I've been told my exhaust sounds like Darth Vader... and i don't have any intake mods to further hooverize things.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
So I went the 'mod the stock airbox' route as opposed to spending $130. Anyone else do this? If so, were you able to match up the airbox mount holes fine? I only had one remaining(upper) as it was, but even with the snorkle correctly mounted and as far inside the airbox as it could go...it's off by about .75", with no wiggle room left. Doesn't bother me really as nothing is going to flop around.

Seal on the modded airbox is fine...took some time to get just right...and it's right tight. Not as if it had to be perfect considering there is a drain hole in the box for excess water :p Waiting on the back headlamp cover to complete the setup... Doubt my car will/can be any louder than it already is with this ;)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Farfrommovin, yes, there's noticeably more intake noise. This is exaggerated by a bigger exhaust.(snip)
Good to know. You can really hear the intake noise on my car... :D

PnutButrJelytime

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
pep boys sells a nice little collection of 3" intake tubeing. they sell 15,45 60 and 90 degree elbows, 4 and 6 inch straight pipes and so on. i actually bought a few peices for the the small section after the air box to the intake line behind the engine, deleting the ugly flexable hose. after reading this i think i'll go back and run the pre filter box hose. the nice thing is each part is about $4-5. it is chrome which doesn't agree with some people. but i think it gives the engine compartment a nice little aftermarket zoom factor :D . when i get everything installed i'll try to take some pics.

PnutButrJelytime

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
pep boys sucks

ok so the post filter box worked out very well. can't say the same for the pre filter box. the oval/square shape of the filter box got me scracthing my head trying to connect the round pipe. that is about the only problem i had though. there was plenty of room between the battery cover and fender for the 3 inch tube. it was connecting it to the filter box that gave me the trouble. oh well i still connected the fresh air fitting to the pep boys tube. do you all think there will be a problem with that. theres about a 2 inch gap between the pep boys pipe and the filter box. hope that makes sence.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Got my airbox today, doing the swap tonight if not too tired.

Need to find someone who wants to trade the upper half of the R32 box for a VR6 top box; to match my VR6 MAF holder.