2006 Jetta tdi engine Rattle

1234vic

TDI
06 jetta TDI
Rattle

Yes on another forum was suggested that is "dual mass Flywheel", please google this and you will confirm, most likely is the flywheel failure, hope that helps

1234vic

TDI
06 jetta TDI
Rattle

No, i have not replaced it yet, i looked for the parts on the net and was anywhere from $250 to $400, dealer wants $800 parts only, i imagine its probably a $700 minimum total. ( $350 for installation?)if you have a private mechanic install, it's a wild guess!
Look at the videos i don't think is that difficult

Last edited:

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Transmission

No, i have not replaced it yet, i looked for the parts on the net and was anywhere from $250 to $400, dealer wants $800 parts only, i imagine its probably a $700 minimum total. ( $350 for installation?)if you have a private mechanic install, it's a wild guess!
Look at the videos i don't think is that difficult

Is your automatic or manual?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I would venture to ask if you know the status of the camshaft and lifters.

BRM engines were notorious for failed cams and lifters, resulting in horrible idling and overall performance.

I would advise a search and read on "PD camshaft wear."

1234vic

TDI
06 jetta TDI
Rattle

That i don't know,i own the car since 2007 had 10k miles. The motor sounds fine, when i searched for flywheel problems, the rattle on YouTube, that was the same noise.
If the engine is below 1200 rpm, we can hear a knocking sound, the car has 232k miles.
I believe is the flywheel, but thanks for the tip

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
If it is the DMF, I would tend to it sooner rather than later. If it grenades, it won't be pretty.

And since it's a BRM, I'd take a peek under the valve cover just for my peace of mind.

Good luck.

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Transmission shop said it wasn’t the DMF.
I’m going to delete the EGR Valve & Cooler to start.
Does he valve cover go bad? Or are you just saying to check the internals?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Honestly, deleting emissions-related parts isn't likely to resolve your issue; I'd leave that for later.

What I meant by peeking under the valve cover is examine the valvetrain, especially the camshaft and lifters. Look for worn down or scratched lobes, cracked or spider-web patterns on the lifters. Better yet, take some pics and post here.

The valve cover does not typically go bad, just don't over-tighten the bolts holding it on.

Edit: you may also want to create a link to this post in the "A5 TDI" section, where it will be seen by more folks than here. Cross posting is frowned upon, so you may want to just start a new thread there.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you have not ever changed the dmf, that is likely the problem. Have fun changing it :D I have done it twice and switched to manual with a smf instead. :D

1234vic

TDI
06 jetta TDI
Finally replaced Dual Mass Flywheel, parts cost with a few tools $400.

After new install, test drove, findings:
Low power
rough shifting
accelerating from 30 mph car started to Hick up, engine light turned on...

Not Good!!! anyone has this happen to them?

Please help