what are you paying for 60,000 mile service

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
2010 GOLF TDI 6MT
what are you guys paying for standard dealer service for 60,000 miles?
the only thing i dont need them to do is Tire Rotation which saved me $15-$20 on my last service, since im putting snow tires on for a trip next week.

1 dealer so far quoated me $299 (Long Beach, CA)
and im waiting for my Santa Monica delaer to call me back.

and i know someone will try to tell me to do the service myself :D
but no thanks, i've never done it and it might be easy, but i prefer to take it to the dealer.

the only thing i looked at and thought about doing myself besides Rotating Tires was the AIR FILTER Change, how easy is that?

thanks

Foxfan

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Once the warranty is over can't we just pay any schmuck (that knows TDIs, of course) to change the oil for a much better price, and then only do the timing belt change at the dealership at 100/120k miles?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Dealers are almost always the most expensive place to get service done. This would be OK if they actually knew what they were doing, but they often just make things worse. If you do not want to learn how to do it yourself, look in the trusted mechanics list or ask other VW owners in your area and find a competent local mechanic. This will ensure that the work is done right and it will save you a lot of money too (probably about half the price). The 60k service is just an oil and filter change, a fuel filter change and maybe an air filter and a cabin filter change. The only other important part of the service is a thorough inspection of the car to make sure that no other service is required. A competent mechanic (or friend) can do it in an hour and it should cost around $150 for parts and labor. Why get ripped off by a dealer when there are better alternatives around.

Have Fun!

Don

tditaylor

TDI
2012 Jetta
^^ x2 I do all my own work however I'm a mechanic by profession. My car is still under 36k so ill let them do it for free but from there on out no one will touch it but me. I would never take it to the dealer for a simple service, I can't believe what some people pay for services at my work. I'm sure you can find someone on the trusted mechanics list who specializes specifically in tdi's and charges a much more fair price! They call it a stealership for a reason!

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
as i said i DONT DO maintenance myself, and i dont want ""Once the warranty is over can't we just pay any schmuck "" any schmuch working on it either.
we all hate the dealer, we all prefer to take it to a trusted mechanic i know i know.
its convenient for me to take it to the dealer by my work, my time is valuable and because of that i find it more convenient and cost effective to go to the same dealer by my work.

my only question was: those of you who USE THE DEALER and have had 60K done, what have you paid?

thanks

bibendum

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Here in va I was quoted $349.00. I'm past that mileage myself, but called and asked.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Snows in S Cal?

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Here in va I was quoted $349.00. I'm past that mileage myself, but called and asked.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
ok thanks,
1 dealer quoted me 299$
but i expect a bit lower tomorrow when i call my usual dealer (in the past they always undercut everyone else's prices)

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Snows in S Cal?
answer is YES , closest to me is:
Mtn Baldy (62 miles or 1hr30 min)
Big Bear (100 miles or 2 hours away)
and when its raining in Long Beach its snowing in the mountains and you need 4x4 or chains on, but thats not what snow tires are for.
im driving out to Colorado for 2 weeks over holidays and having snow tires on is a must . i spend my time in Vail, Breck, Keystone 2+weeks snowboarding.

Last edited:

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
i usually call around and also look at the local dealership's service specials. i really enjoy the dealerships that will honor other nearby dealership's specials.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
the only thing i looked at and thought about doing myself besides Rotating Tires was the AIR FILTER Change, how easy is that?
Very easy. Remove the various captive phillips head screws surrounding the air filter housing. Lift up the top of housing, remove the old air filter, install new air filter making sure the seal is flush with the housing all around, retighten the captive phillips head screws. That's it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I am not sure why folks keep posting, "what do they do at XX,XXX miles?" It is in your manual.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/Maintenance+Schedule+-+2010+-+Jetta,+Jetta+SportWagen

Most of these services are "checking" or "inspecting". I have serious doubts some dealers, if not most dealers, actually check everything on the list and have a check list, recording the status of all items.... I would insist in an itemized list of all items checked/inspected and the condition signed off.

The 60K "check" items are: Battery, Brakes, Front & Rear Window Wipers, nozzels and cleaning (fluid) level), Tire Treads, Tire Rotate. You can do that.

Replace: Dust Pollen, Engine Oil & Filter, Fuel Filter & Air Filter.

Regardless of Mileage, by calendar, inspect and/or replace: Airbags check every 1 yr, Air Filter replace every 6 yr, Brake Fluid Flush w/i 3 yrs then every 2 yrs thereafter, Tire Pressure Sensor every 6 yrs.

Service Interval (reset), Service Sticker.

It is well within mere mortals ability to do most if not all the inspections and replacement items. The only down side to the fuel filter job is you really need a Vag-Com/Ross-Tech to prime the fuel system, however there are work abounds in the Bentley Manual. As far as Oil get an Evacuation/Suction/From Top Oil Change "suck--eer-out-eer". Go to dealer and pay $50 to dealer for 4-liters of 507.00 Spec oil & oil and filter. I use Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W30.

You can get all the other filters as well, but IDParts sells filter kits/packs with: Pollen, Air, Oil and Fuel Filter for about $50. Ball park for all filters and Oil, about $100. I recommend getting oil from dealer because it is cheaper in general than mail order due to shipping weight. Filters however are fairly light and you will likely get a better deal on line, especially with a package deal.

You can do the job in two hours… not including all the "inspections", which are the same ones the dealer likely will gloss over, yet charge $300. You should check your brakes, but that is not hard. If your calendar time calls for brake flush, you can do that but need a brake bleed tool… and the oil of course. USE ONLY VW BRAKE FLUID… I think most VW dealers will flush the brakes at 30K... but not sure.

The item most people will farm out is the DSG service at 40K, 80K, 123K.... Again not that hard, but a VAG-COM Ross-Tech cable is kind of needed, plus a specal hose/fitting tool.... Again there are work arounds and DIY home brew hose tools for little cash. I think the factory procedure leaves somethings to be desired, and some folks drain and measure exact amount removed (including filter) and replace exact same volumn of new fluid. That of course assumes the level was correct from factory or at the time you drain the oil.

Last edited:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
I am not sure why folks keep posting, "what do they do at XX,XXX miles?" It is in your manual.

i wasnt asking what DO THEY DO?
i read my manual
i was asking WHAT DO PEOPLE PAY for 60K service.
this was simply to compare what other dealers are charging.

i will be using the dealer (same one i've always used as he's always offering cheapest rate) this was simply to compare what others are PAYING

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I don't think 299.00 is unreasonable if you don't want to do it yourself.

I believe my 40K was quoted 249.00 (minus the DSG). That is all the same services, other than the air filter I think.

Although I do my own services, the price didn't seem to far out of line.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
^^ thanks, i just got of the phone with my dealer,
and it will be under $290 so spot on.

so the difference from 40K to 60K
i dont have to do Pollen/Dust cabin filter (did at 40k, every 40K after)
but i do have "Air Filter element and Snow Filter:replace and clean housing" as per manual. (every 60K, 120K 180K and so on)
all set for Monday morning

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Did anyone every find an Internet publication of what is required at each service interval? I searched, but didn't find anything definitive. It would just convenient to be able to read everything on my huge computer monitor, rather than the little owner's manual that came in the car.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
You are correct.
Did they change the cabin filter replacement interval for MKVI cars? Mine is every 20,000 miles.

Did anyone every find an Internet publication of what is required at each service interval? I searched, but didn't find anything definitive. It would just convenient to be able to read everything on my huge computer monitor, rather than the little owner's manual that came in the car.
Check the link above posted by gmcjetpilot.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
yes someone actually posted a link to is on first page of this thread

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Did they change the cabin filter replacement interval for MKVI cars? Mine is every 20,000 miles.
you have '09 or earlier as your other car?
or are you referring to your 2010?
on the phone tech said. 2010+ its every 40,000 miles
i have my manual next to me and can confirm this

if you want to go grab your manual and check, ill be happy to compare to mine

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
^^ same here. every 40
CD-BOOTH here are 20 and 40 K images of my manual, Dust/Pollen filter is at 40

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Hmm, I will have to double check. Seeing as I have only done the 40K on my own, that could definitely be the case.

FWIW, when I answered RomanL with the "You are correct" I was addressing the air filter as someone had stated it was every 20K, but I could have swore that it was 40K for the cabin filter as well.

Luckily, the cabin filter is probably the least important out of the filters so it isn't that big of an issue anyway in my opinion.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
agreed' especially since most of my driving down here in S.Cali is in nice warm/dry weather, and i really dont run air/heat much at all, i like to roll windows down a bit, 40K intervals work for me.

as for 60K for Engine AIR Filter, that will be replaced as per schedule in the manual
thanks all.
and ill repost with final price once im out of there on monday just in case anyone wants to know

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
My 60K bill at my dealer was $352. Although we have a local mechanic who services a lot of German makes, I am sticking with my dealer because I feel I'm being treated like a valued customer. They give me a car while mine is in service, the work is done competently; also, when I had an issue with the exhaust valve at 49K, they fixed it at no charge. I believe in having good relations with vendors and I will almost certainly replace my aging Suby at this dealership.