MN Chat Thread

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
GTG sounds great to me!

It's been a number of years since I've been to one and could certainly come up with things to do and/or give a hand to others.

Schedule can always be iffy but I'd make every effort

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Count me in, though there are a couple weekends where I already have tentative plans.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Hey I am thinking of a summer GTG at my place in North Minneapolis...if there is interest I will start a new thread,
Sounds great!

Pick a time or set up a poll with dates you are willing to host, whether in the new thread, linked out to surveyMonkey, whatever . . .

I'll show if timing works out for me.

I can have the aforementioned HubTamer (bearing puller), a VagCom cable (VCDS, whatever, I'm old school - I've recently caught the clue my usage may have become limited by RossTech, and if that's true, it may only be for use on older cars, apparently), B4/A3/A4 timing belt toolkit, and a few other tools along for anyone that wants to borrow . . .

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I started a new thread. Why can't you bring the tire machine and balancer? July 1st pencil it in.
lol

if they're like the ones we got at work, together they take up about 120 square feet of floor space without any room to work

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Question - I just got a new to me 2006 Jetta. Has anyone had good results getting the sagging headliner repaired? TIA!!!

pinepitch

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon 5spd manual
Just bought from a Craigslist dealer a silver 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon in good shape with 145k miles. There was only one previous owner from the Minneapolis area. It's my first TDI and I'm very excited! I know its a long shot but I'd really like to find the original owner and say thanks for taking good care of it. By any chance does anyone recognize this car? Many thanks!

Last edited:

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
Castrol Edge Professional VW spec 504 and 507 oil for sale

I have two cases (12 quarts) to part with in Blaine. I picked these up from Luther VW with one of the Dieselgate gift cards but now the car is gone.

Two cases $100 picked up in Blaine or St Paul Midway area during weekday lunch hours.

Please text
Brandon
612-715-1882

(Im advertising here because CL sucks and I'm not shipping motor oil cross country to another TDI Club member)

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Question - I just got a new to me 2006 Jetta. Has anyone had good results getting the sagging headliner repaired? TIA!!!
I used some headliner glue to spray it back up. It is no longer sagging... I didn't try to re-stretch it in a couple spots, so I can still see the headliner backing material in a couple places, but only if I'm trying to look for it. Otherwise, all-in-all, it's not sagging.

Here's the stuff I bought from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MEBENM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Anyone available to help a brother out this week? Need a VCDS to retract the cylinders on the rear brakes, tried to do it mechanically and I'm at my wits end. I am in Monticello Minnesota.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
93SC, thanks a lot for the offer, but I got it! Duh , you have to rotate the cylinders as you're pushing them in.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
on the ones I did I just unbolt the motors from the calipers,
then use a straight blade screwdriver in the torx hole to retract the internal parking brake mechanism
then squeeze the outer piston in with a pliers or whatever
then bolt the motor back on

there's only two wires going to the parking brake motors, it just applies 12v in one polarity for a set time to apply them, then applies 12v in the opposite polarity for a set time to release. No position sensing to worry about (maybe current sensing to shut off when the motors stall out at the end of their travel)

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Looking for new rockers

I'm trying to source a new set of rockers for a 2002 Golf locally. Anyone have a recommendation on who might have some in stock?

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Does anyone local ish have any stock exhaust (mkiv alh) that you're looking to get rid of super cheap or free?? My flex pipe is blown out and my muffler delete rotted and came off. Please send a PM if you know of any. Thank you!!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Eh, mine's pretty hacked up

The pipe itself doesn't usually rot out as it's some sort of ferritic stainless, I feel as though it's a little higher grade than the 409 that american cars get. The hangers however do fall off regularly, and the resonators come apart (did the diesels get those or were they gas only?). Mine had a piece of EMT welded in after the cat, back to the band clamp.

Find an exhaust shop that'll weld in a new flex pipe and hangers.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Ok here is an easy one: i accelerate hard, then when I brake there is a clunk I can feel in the brake pedal so it is coming through the subframe. Does it a lot one day and then just seems to be random. I jacked up the driver's side and there was no obvious clunk but a little movement in the 3:00 o'oclock/9:00 o'clock. LCA? Tie rod? I am betting LCA.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I vote LCA (bushing), but have you looked at your motor mounts?

Last edited:

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Dog bone is another possible choice Chris. If you jack it up and use a prybar, you can typically see what is moving. I had a similar issue and it was the dogbone.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I used some headliner glue to spray it back up. It is no longer sagging... I didn't try to re-stretch it in a couple spots, so I can still see the headliner backing material in a couple places, but only if I'm trying to look for it. Otherwise, all-in-all, it's not sagging.
Here's the stuff I bought from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MEBENM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks Kriesel! I will order some and try it out. It is not sagging too bad so far thank goodness.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have replaced all my motor mounts in the last 3 years. I am betting LCA though I check the driver's side and nothing so when I have time I will check the passenger side.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If I did not already have two Mk4 Golf TDIs, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat. You'd have my deposit tonight.

rbrennick

TDI
A Few ALH 5 speed cars
Anyone Know This Car? Minneapolis/ St. Paul area

Hello from Michigan-
Checking here to see if anyone on the forum knows this car:
Just bought from Hudson Ford Used Cars/ Hudson, WI (St. Paul, MN area):
Guessing it was a trade in?
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI- Baltic Green/ Tan Leather 260k
Was originally an auto trans converted to 5 speed.
Records up through 200k, and I know someone after that put lots more time
and money in it, as it has lots of newer stuff: Darkside race pipe/ EGR gut,
newer Bilsteins, tires, brakes, etc. Pretty nice car.
Anyone know the car or the person that recently owned it?
Just want to fill in the maintenance blanks...
Thanks- a PM would be fine.
Rich Brennick/ Michigan

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello from Michigan-
Checking here to see if anyone on the forum knows this car:
Just bought from Hudson Ford Used Cars/ Hudson, WI (St. Paul, MN area):
Guessing it was a trade in?
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI- Baltic Green/ Tan Leather 260k
Was originally an auto trans converted to 5 speed.
Records up through 200k, and I know someone after that put lots more time
and money in it, as it has lots of newer stuff: Darkside race pipe/ EGR gut,
newer Bilsteins, tires, brakes, etc. Pretty nice car.
Anyone know the car or the person that recently owned it?
Just want to fill in the maintenance blanks...
Thanks- a PM would be fine.
Rich Brennick/ Michigan
You need to talk to Eric Merker, who knows about this car I think and told me about it. From what I heard, the lady traded it in without telling her husband, and he was not happy.