iPhone to ODBII

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Anyone done it, have a how to , type of cable .
I just picked up a 3G iphone and was wondering if this can be done.
I do have VCDS but the phone is more portable and convenient.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Surferchick2

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Im not sure if this is what you're interested in, but there's an app called FUZZYCar (http://fuzzyluke.com) that scan's your car through your iphone. You need a WIFI scanner. There's also another one that's a bit more expensive called Rev, that does more things, but I think the wifi scanner is more specific. I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Scanning the car is one thing but to have VCDS on your phone would be awesome. I read that there are no plans to put it on iPhone. That was last year. Maybe they will change their mind. I would like it. I think the biggest issue may be the cord. iPhone to OBDII maybe be tricky. Don't really know.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Super T said:
Scanning the car is one thing but to have VCDS on your phone would be awesome. I read that there are no plans to put it on iPhone. That was last year. Maybe they will change their mind. I would like it. I think the biggest issue may be the cord. iPhone to OBDII maybe be tricky. Don't really know.
Ideally that would be the best cable ever made, and the Wifi thing sounds interesting.

PowerDawg

TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
Feedback requested

Was wondering if anyone is using this on a 2009 Jetta TDI? Saw on appstore for rev under the customer review that it's not for Audi/VW because the way it reports??

What can I expect (modules) to view with the Wiki Wifi and Rev app when used on the 09 Jetta TDI?

Mainly looking to view temp, boost, and retrieve the inevitable trouble codes.

thanks
Brian

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PowerDawg said:
Was wondering if anyone is using this on a 2009 Jetta TDI? Saw on appstore for rev under the customer review that it's not for Audi/VW because the way it reports??

What can I expect (modules) to view with the Wiki Wifi and Rev app when used on the 09 Jetta TDI?

Mainly looking to view temp, boost, and retrieve the inevitable trouble codes.

thanks
Brian
Had it for about a week now, like it but not overly impressed.
Some of the metrics were once avaibable are no longer,mgp and l/100 k are backwards so when I drive faster it says I'm using less fuel?
Cannot identify my car, no VIN, ccannot retrieve HP or TRQ values

Dvetoaster is trying but not much support.

PowerDawg

TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
JASONP said:
Had it for about a week now, like it but not overly impressed.
Some of the metrics were once avaibable are no longer,mgp and l/100 k are backwards so when I drive faster it says I'm using less fuel?
Cannot identify my car, no VIN, ccannot retrieve HP or TRQ values

Dvetoaster is trying but not much support.
Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't sound like it something I need. Pass for now. Will start looking at other options. Saw something that plugs into the back of the radio CanBus and reports on the MFI. Will look into that. Thanks.
Brian

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
je said:
I've seen Bluetooth transcievers for your OBDII port like these. I wonder if these are any use for the iPhone app?
For $10 it's worth a shot even if it doesn't work.

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
I got Rev. Boost works, but there's no EGT which was what I really wanted. Boost and coolant temp is all that's useful.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike do all your metrics work, my fuel says it's not supported, mpg and L/100k are inversely wrong, say I use less fuel when rtraveling at higher speeds, and I am using 60+L/100k when lightly accelerating

reynolcj

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf 4-door, 2005 Passat Wagon
Jason, I would stay on them to get that sorted out. It's not a 'cheap' venture after the software and dependent on what hardware you pick up. I'm curious to hear about their customer service...the other curious thing is if others are having the same issue...theoretically, if it's a bug it should be affecting more than you, if not everyone, right? Keep us posted!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am currently working wit Jay Jones from Devtoaster and gaining some ground.

I will keep this thread updated with progress.

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JASONP said:
I am currently working wit Jay Jones from Devtoaster and gaining some ground.

I will keep this thread updated with progress.
UPDATE;
Nothing to update, still no response from Devtoaster, I have enabled the GATHER INFO function and automatically emails the service dept., but no response as of yet.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
UPDATE:
Do not purchase this product for a MKIV, the support guy is a idiot and I know the product better than he does.
Can't figure out what I'm sending him, have to send him an email 3-4 times on the same topic before he understands.

Over all not impressed with the product or service, so much for OUT OF A JOB YET,KEEP BUYING FOREIGN stickers, you've all seen em.

adamek

TDI
2002 VW TDI Beetle, 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI
What scanner to buy

Requirement 1: Read codes (and reset the intermittent P0722 / G38 speed sensor problem code I have in wet weather).
Requirement 2: Provide mpg readout (other nifty gauges would be a plus).
Option 1: VAG-COM; $250 + a windows computer I don't have. Too expensive for now.
Option 2: iPhone (which I have) + DashCommand http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/iphone/index.php ; $29.99 + Kiwi WiFi Module; $149.99 = $179.98 total.
Possible, but I don't know how well it will read or clear VW specific codes. Does anyone know of less expensive OBD/WiFi modules?
Option 3: ScanGauge II, $159.99.
Only $20 less than Option 2
Option 4: Kiwi MPG, http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwimpg/buynow.html; $89.99
Looks like the same features as ScanGauge II, but $70 less. What's the catch?
Any other suggestions or options?

adamek

TDI
Short update: Anyone have any experience with the Kiwi WiFi module? Anyone have any good experience with cheaper OBD-WiFi modules?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
adamek said:
Short update: Anyone have any experience with the Kiwi WiFi module? Anyone have any good experience with cheaper OBD-WiFi modules?
Thats what this thread is all about is the REV DEVToatser, they just call KiwiWiFi.

Not worth it in my opinion.
Fuel level -Not supported
EGT-not supported
Fuel Consumption- inversley proportioned and doesn't read properly
Several; other PID's not supported as well, just can't remember what ones since I don't use it that much.

adamek

TDI
http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

Kiwi Wifi (US Made) doesn't support a lot of the codes. OBDkey and ElmCanII-WLAN support many more but are more expensive. Haven't got one yet, but my employer's supposed to have profit sharing in August (first time in a couple of years) and I might buy an OBDkey and REV then.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it doesn't look like ElmCanII-WLAN is made anymore, at least you can't get it from the site linked to from the Dev site.

What I'd like to see is software that suports the cheaper bluetooth dongles, unless there is less throughput with bluetooth, then I guess I'd just like cheaper Wifi module.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
EGT will only be supported if the ECU can read it. The Passat 2.0l TDI has an EGT guage, so on that car you can read it. On most OEM's there is no EGT guage, so there is nothing to read. OBDII supports EGT but if the sensor is not there, you obviously cannot read it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Agreed for older mkiv, but of all the sensors on a 2010, one of them has be able to spit out EGT to a gauge. Heck by that thought, I should be able to monitor my differential pressure across my DPF to see when it'll do a regen.

I think what we'd all want to see is an iphone/andrioid app of vagcom. I'd gladdly plunk down the $350 or whatever for that level of support for my car.

adamek

TDI
Bluetooth

What I'd like to see is software that suports the cheaper bluetooth dongles, unless there is less throughput with bluetooth, then I guess I'd just like cheaper Wifi module.
Not Rev's fault. It's the hardware/software engineers at Apple who only built a subset of the different bluetooth protocols into the iPhone.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Not Rev's fault. It's the hardware/software engineers at Apple who only built a subset of the different bluetooth protocols into the iPhone.
It's software. Their Bluetooth hardware stack is fairly robust. They just figured that their customers would never, say, send pictures over Bluetooth. Like every free phone for the past few years. So they only have a very tiny subset of the Bluetooth stack programmed. And if you're an App Store app, your options are to make your own "Made for iPhone" (you pay more) adapter, or use their Bluetooth stack (which will obviously not work since they don't have a Bluetooth serial port in their stack). If you were an app on Cydia, you could write the missing part of the stack (not hard if you know what you're communicating with), inject it when your app loads, and support Bluetooth OBD scanners.

So yes, blame Apple. But blame the front-end people. The engineers designing their hardware have nothing to do with the marketing people that tell the programmers what to code and what not to code.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
I think what we'd all want to see is an iphone/andrioid app of vagcom.
Because we want to make it completely platform independent so it will work on iPhone, Android, or whatever the next hot mobile device might be, it's will not be app per se. It's also still quite a ways from being a shipping product, but we are working on it:

-Uwe-

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Because we want to make it completely platform independent so it will work on iPhone, Android, or whatever the next hot mobile device might be, it's will not be app per se. It's also still quite a ways from being a shipping product, but we are working on it:

-Uwe-
Whoa! Most exciting post in a very long time! Consider me one to upgrade my VCDS to "mobile" then!!! As soon as this is released I'll get it, I'm sure you'll have a compelling upgrade price structure for current "cable" owners :) My iPhone is always on a mount charging by the radio. I'd love to log without lugging the laptop around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: